• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Institute - Am I being neglected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overcoming bias in home appraisals starts with the appraisers​

Jessica Brown is a graduate of the Appraisal Institute’s Appraiser Diversity initiative (ADI), which is a collaborative effort between Fannie Mae, the National Urban League and the Appraisal institute, and its goal is to diversify the ranks of appraisers.

you are paying them to call you a racist. oh and there is fannie but i cant join them but AI is fine. any difference? :rof:
:rof: :rof:

Overcoming bias in home appraisals starts with the appraisers​

Jessica Brown is a graduate of the Appraisal Institute’s Appraiser Diversity initiative (ADI), which is a collaborative effort between Fannie Mae, the National Urban League and the Appraisal institute, and its goal is to diversify the ranks of appraisers.

you are paying them to call you a racist. oh and there is fannie but i cant join them but AI is fine. any difference? :rof:
:rof: :rof:
There irrelevant for all practical purposes and getting woke and diversified is a last gasp of air before the ship sinks.

Many of there instructors are not really very good. I know one in San Diego and he is a MAI and his classes are really bad. He suffers serious PSTD from Vietnam and cannot focus. He once crapped his pants and another time fell a sleep. He is a nice guy but his MAI went to his head. I referred him a customer with a Duplex and he quoted him $4,000 and the guy said dude its a 1,600 Square foot duplex not the Empire State Building. Another MAI quotes $5,000 for a single house but he is now basically out of business as he priced himself into bankruptcy. The one thing in common is they have inflated egos and they like to talk a lot .

The old you are not a member of the AI or you are a former member so your opinion does not count has been used in this forum for years in order to stop criticism of a failing organizations.

The fact of the matter is between education courses,membership dues and books. I have probably spent close to 5K on AI.

If they were smart they would actually listen to some of the criticism on this forum( both from members,non/members, or former members) and change course.
"opinion doesn't count" bears some qualification. "doesn't count with whom?"

In my case as a never-was (I got my QE from the SREA back before the merge) I'm well aware of the point that the AI has no reason to care what my opinions are on their internal policies and politics. That would obviously be different to varying degrees for people who are or were members.

Many of there instructors are not really very good. I know one in San Diego and he is a MAI and his classes are really bad. He suffers serious PSTD from Vietnam and cannot focus. He once crapped his pants and another time fell a sleep. He is a nice guy but his MAI went to his head. I referred him a customer with a Duplex and he quoted him $4,000 and the guy said dude its a 1,600 Square foot duplex not the Empire State Building. Another MAI quotes $5,000 for a single house but he is now basically out of business as he priced himself into bankruptcy. The one thing in common is they have inflated egos and they like to talk a lot .
Teaching involves a different skill set than appraising. You can be a great appraiser and yet not have the communication skills or temperament to teach and vice-versa. Over the years, I've been told (to my face) on a number of occasions that "those who can, do; those who can't, teach", so there's that. I've sometimes brought that point up myself when teaching, mostly by way of telling people to take responsibility for what course material and content resonates with them and to not defer to someone just because they're standing at the front of the room with a whiteboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back