• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Institute Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a freshman in college when I turned 18. I got a notice from the school informing me that I would be picked up and driven to the recruiting center to register. No doubt not done on college campuses today.

I was a freshman in college when I turned 18. I got a notice from the school informing me that I would be picked up and driven to the recruiting center to register. No doubt not done on college campuses today.
All males of a certain age have to register to get student loans and financial aid like Pell Grants, at least they did in 2009.but it's online now. No transportation is necessary. I don't know how it is now.

Well, this was back in 1971, prior to then ROTC was mandatory for freshman and sophomores. The fact that the school set up the appointment still amazes me.

Well, this was back in 1971, prior to then ROTC was mandatory for freshman and sophomores. The fact that the school set up the appointment still amazes me.
It’s probably coming back since Harris/Biden have set the world on fire and nobody wants to take the risk of joining the military with such dumb people running it. They will eventually have to force draft kids to join the highly hazardous, sloppy, slovenly and somewhat smelly operation.

Yes, I remember the "Melting Pot" was a big thing with the fondue. I think we went once, and just no. There was a fancy steak restaurant in Memphis where you could grill your own steak, Nope.
They gave you the option, but I cooked ours. It was good. I am good at grilling. It was probably medium or medium rare. It was good cut of ribeye. Good meat. We do medium/medium well now. I don't like well done.

On steak, the quality of the meat is all the difference in the world. It is really hard to screw a really high quality of meat. Like a 6 month old calf that was corn fed. Perfect.

The price of beef is outrageous right now. Everything else seems to be coming down a little on price. Not beef. Beef is high.

Last edited:
Jeremy Bagott on Cindy, the Stakeholders, and Tax Exempt Status:

"*** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ***

SOARING HOME PRICES AND A PAIR OF SHAPE-SHIFTING NONPROFITS

VENTURA, Calif. (Sept. 20, 2024) – Earlier this year, the director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau called this organization a pay-to-play outfit based on the way its paid sponsors select its trustees. Meanwhile, an allied nonprofit is in turmoil after its recently ousted CEO is telling financial reporters of the group’s infiltration by special interests. Both nonprofits are little-known to the public but may be having an outsized effect on America’s housing inflation.

The obscure organizations are known as the Appraisal Foundation and Appraisal Institute. The former creates a set of continually changing standards by which homes used as collateral are valued in federally backed mortgages. The latter is one of its primary sponsors and enablers.

If the allegations are true, these two organizations are clearly at odds with their stated missions, the missions they report to the Internal Revenue Service in filings used to support their tax-exempt status. Stick around to the end to learn what you can do to report such organizations.

For the past five years, both have been working to subvert a primary bulwark in America’s government-backed home mortgage system – its corps of appraisers. The resultant stifling of appraisers has emboldened and allowed the further politicization of mortgage giants Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae and the FHA. The marginalization of appraisers has also stimulated historic housing inflation as fewer buyers and sellers are sent back to renegotiate unsupported sale prices. It has also created great hidden risks to individuals and institutions holding U.S. mortgage-backed securities.

As Rohit Chopra of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau points out, the Appraisal Foundation operates outside government constraints and oversight, though it creates standards that are enforced as binding law. In recent years, particularly since the start of the pandemic, the work of these two organizations has resulted in the sidelining of appraisers in federally backed housing transactions.

According to accounts by both Chopra and the recently ousted Appraisal Institute chief executive Cindy Chance, both nonprofits are working in ways that are at loggerheads with their respective stated missions.

“Nonprofits live or die by their ability to achieve tax-exempt status at the federal and state level,” said appraiser and author Jeremy Bagott. “The IRS Form 990 is the document in which the nonprofit tells the public of its purpose, chronicles its good deeds and reports its financials.”

Revocation of tax-exempt status is considered a death sentence for many such organizations. It would require the organization to pay income taxes on revenue, including donations.

“When you have people in roles for long periods of time, who are friends for years, and they work in the regulatory space and then in the nonprofit advocacy space, and then in the for-profit space, and all of these interests get entangled, it is a situation that is ripe for corruption and self-dealing,” Chance, the recently cashiered CEO of the 16,000-member Appraisal Institute, wrote in a recent email to reporter Sasha Jones of the real estate publication Bisnow. Chance, an ethicist and Ph.D. who was once the managing director of Georgetown University’s Kennedy Institute of Ethics, was brought in as an outsider. She was on the job only 13 months.

Special interests that reap an inherent benefit from limiting – or outright eliminating – appraisals in government-backed mortgages and shifting risks to taxpayers are the nonbank lenders, banks, homebuilders, Realtors and fintechs. Recent additions to the group are appraisal management companies, known in the industry as AMCs. They are intermediaries that have come to broker appraisals between banks and borrowers at considerable mark-ups. They, too, attempt to steer federal mortgage policy, although their aims differ.

The day after Chance’s damning email to Bisnow, the Appraisal Institute’s president, Sandra Adomatis, issued an extremely narrow denial. “Let me be very clear: No board members own or operate an AMC.”

“The Appraisal Foundation’s governance structure features a pay-to-play mechanism,” wrote Chopra, “whereby paying sponsors selected about half its trustees.” It is now playing a shell game with its “partners” and “sponsors” to continue to bamboozle observers. “The Appraisal Foundation has essentially renamed Sponsors ‘Partners,’ whose nominees will almost certainly be added to the board of trustees. Currently, 11 out of 12 partners are former sponsors. That means most or all partner-nominated trustees will be selected by these sponsor-partners.”

As Chopra points out, the Appraisal Foundation’s conflict-of-interest policies place no ban on employees of the nonprofit using their positions to endorse a product, service or enterprise. Nor are there bans on an employee using his or her position for the private gain of friends, relatives or persons with whom the employee is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity, which includes nonprofit organizations of which the employee is an officer or member.

There is also no ban on officers giving preferential treatment to any private organization or individual, including any person or organization with which the employee has or seeks employment or business relations. Employees of the nonprofit may participate in matters that have a direct and predictable effect on the financial interests of the employee’s spouse, minor child, or general partner. Its employees may solicit or accept gifts given because of the employee’s official position or from a prohibited source, which includes, among others, any person or organization that does business or seeks to do business with the organization.

The Chicago-based Appraisal Institute provides the following required mission statement in its 2022 Form 990 to the Internal Revenue Service: “Our mission is to empower valuation professionals through community, credentialing, education, body of knowledge and ethical standards.” The Washington, D.C.-based Appraisal Foundation provides its required mission statement in its 2022 filing as “To advance the valuation profession by setting standards of excellence, promoting education and upholding the public trust.”

If a cabal on either organization’s board or among its staff is acting on behalf of special interests to promote the waiving of appraisals or eliminate the use of appraisals or discredit the appraisal profession, its filings would be fraudulent.

“If the allegations are true, both organizations are in violation of their respective advocacy missions as stated in their IRS filings,” said appraiser and author Jeremy Bagott. In the interest of full disclosure, Bagott is a member of the Appraisal Institute."

Jeremy Bagott,

Last edited:
And:

"Anyone wishing to report a nonprofit for engaging in program activities that directly conflict with those it reports for tax-exempt status can turn to the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division of the Internal Revenue Service. Letters may be sent to TEGE Referrals Group, 1100 Commerce Street, MC 4910 DAL, Dallas, TX 75242, or emailed to eoclass@irs.gov. Feel free to simply email this press release and request an investigation.

If you prefer forms, you may use Form 13909, Tax-Exempt Organization Complaint Form 13909. But the Tax-Exempt Division will accept a simple letter of complaint.

After a referral is made, the IRS will mail an acknowledgment letter, unless the complaint was made anonymously. The complainant must provide a name and return address to receive an acknowledgment letter. The IRS doesn’t send acknowledgement letters by email. The IRS says it will keep your identity confidential when you make a referral, but you won’t receive a status or progress update.

In addition, tax-exempt organizations are subject to oversight by state tax agencies. You may want to send a copy of your letter (or this press release) to your state tax agency. In California, for example, if a nonprofit's state tax exemption is revoked, it will be subject to California income tax and California’s annual franchise tax, which is imposed even if a corporation has no income.

Besides reporting these organizations to federal and state tax authorities for investigation, members of the Appraisal Institute might consider marking “RTS” with a sharpie on issues of the organization’s mailed publications and dropping them in a mailbox, forcing it or its fulfillment house to deal with thousands of returned issues. You have a right to decline delivery of these publications. You may also show your displeasure by boycotting all qualifying and continuing education through the nonprofit."

# # #

Last edited:
As the article states you can report both of these corrupt organizations anonymously to the IRS.

"The day after Chance’s damning email to Bisnow, the Appraisal Institute’s president, Sandra Adomatis, issued an extremely narrow denial."

I may have missed this in an earlier part of the thread, but couldn't get into the Bisnow article that I think would reference this email. What did she say?

I'm thinking TAF, AI, REVAA, and AMCs being pursued under RICO....maybe under a new DOJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back