• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal with pets?

homeseller1230

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Ohio
Hi there and thank you for your time!
We are selling our home and our appraisal is Monday.

Normally we would leave, but we cannot get the time off work.

We have three dogs (big ones) and can’t board them due to serious separation anxiety.

We were planning to put their crates in a small bedroom and cover them with the TV on, but they will definitely bark at our appraiser if they go in that room.
My question is would this bother you or cause you to not do the appraisal? We are trying to be as considerate as possible to keep them up and out of the way.

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
If the dogs are in crates, I don't see a problem. I'd leave the door to that room open because there's no way I'd open a door to a room with barking dogs inside. The appraiser will have to enter and probably photograph the room.

Some of the biggest lies an appraiser hears:

"I'm going to fix that tomorrow. "
"I had a permit for that addition".
"Don't worry, my dog doesn't bite."

Thanks for asking in advance.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Hi there and thank you for your time!
We are selling our home and our appraisal is Monday.

Normally we would leave, but we cannot get the time off work.

We have three dogs (big ones) and can’t board them due to serious separation anxiety.

We were planning to put their crates in a small bedroom and cover them with the TV on, but they will definitely bark at our appraiser if they go in that room.
My question is would this bother you or cause you to not do the appraisal? We are trying to be as considerate as possible to keep them up and out of the way.
What I do is if there is a garage I ask them to place them inside it first and measure and take outside photos firts- Then I ask the owners to take the dogs out of the garage and put them in back yard while I do the interior so I Kinda just rotate them around. Also clean up your dog poop-nothing worse then stepping in a big land mine when outside house.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
If you're not going to be home,
leave a note on the door for the appraiser that the dogs are in crates and can't get to them.

Any time you open the door to someone's house, when they are not home, and hear a bunch of dogs barking, it's time to leave.

Salty

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Wouldn't bother me - all I need to to is photograph the room. Not an issue at all.

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
I have a dog but I put my crate away.
Sometimes I wonder why do people have dog crates? Do the dogs have tendency to bite.
When I go to people's houses, some occupants put the dogs away in another room or outside and rotate.
Again why the dogs taught not to act aggressively.
Sometimes the owners say they don't want the dog to jump all over me. That's what they say and it was considerate.
There was one time last year, I felt the pit bull was too dangerous. I sensed it from the owner.
It was in a low income area so the dog was like a home alarm.

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
owner away, the big dog laying on the bed isn't a problem if i can get a quick picture sticking my arm into the room. i always say hi to the caged dog, never bothers me.
dogs to me are as break form work, if they are friendly.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
If the dogs are in crates, I don't see a problem. I'd leave the door to that room open because there's no way I'd open a door to a room with barking dogs inside. The appraiser will have to enter and probably photograph the room.

Some of the biggest lies an appraiser hears:

"I'm going to fix that tomorrow. "
"I had a permit for that addition".
"Don't worry, my dog doesn't bite."

Thanks for asking in advance.
to the OP, I 100% agree with @Mark K (my bold above)
If the dogs are crated, no issue with doing my appraisal inspection. BUT! If I'm in an empty home (owners are at work, etc) and there is a closed door with a dog barking behind it (especially if it seems to be a large(r) dog, I am not opening that door
In that case, I would tell my client (the lender in your case, since you say this is a purchase) that I was not able to access that room for said reason.
Most likely they would require access to that room and send me back out to get access and a photo. That costs time and $$$ for everyone involved

Good luck on your sale! (y)

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
Last week I went to this house.
There were 2 dogs. Owner was holding onto one because he said he bites.
The other, same size, was ok.
I entered the house and forgot to close the door. The other dog ran outside and owner had to go out and kept calling the dog's name.
I felt bad. Then again why did the dog just leave. :unsure:

sputnam

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Just make sure you tell the appraiser what to expect. As long as the dogs are caged and the appraiser knows about it... no problem.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks