• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraiser Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cory,

Small shooters with a 28mm equiv. lens and an optical viewfinders are fading fast... :-( I prefer this option, too, but they are expensive and not "trendy"... The last Canon I had with one was the SD800 IS and that is still available, but at a premium... just under $500 :-(

I am really not a Sony fan (primarily due to their insistence on the goofy Memory Stick), and I've not used this camera, but I note that the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 has an optical viewfinder and a 28mm - 140mm equiv. zoom for about $200.

I'll do some research and let you know if I find other options.

FWIW, I've been enjoying a camera I mentioned earlier in this thread - the LX3. The fast lens does a great job but it, too, does not have a viewfinder... :-( Just noting this for those who complain about the notorious problem of dark doorways, etc. on quick shots. A decent lens can really help! Note the zoom on this shooter is only 60mm equiv, but it does have a 24mm equiv. wide angle... :-)

The SLR-type camera I am enjoying more than any other right now is the Panasonic DMC-G1. It is not like any other DSLR in one key aspect - it is one of the first of a new type/format - Micro Four Thirds. Details on this are probably too geeky for most readers, but one thing this camera brings is SLR-type ergonomics but it is really MUCH smaller than the typical DSLR... might be of interest to some. At about $675 - $700 (depending on color - black, blue or red) with the 14mm - 45mm "kit" lens, it is about 170% - 175% the price of the D40 that Riick mentions, but I love this little guy! If you like a DSLR type camera but hate the bulky Nikons and Canons, etc., I've found this one to be worth my dollar. With a honkin' SDHC memory card (which are relatively cheap these days!), this thing rips through the pix and they are turning out really nice, even compared to my favorite Canon DSLR bricks. I am certainly no professional photographer, so I value a well built machine that is small and takes great picture right out of the box, even considering my ineptitude, LOL.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
 
Last edited:
Panasonic has announced some new and potentially interesting cameras with 25 mm zooms. Note, all zooms are shown in 35mm equivs. "OIS" means "Optical Image Stabilization - Like zoom lengths, "Optical" is what you want for medium to long zooms vs. the flaky digital version.

DMC-FX48 - 12.1 MP, 25 - 125 mm zoom, Optical Image Stabilization, 2.5" 230K dot LCD. Available 04/09 in Black, Silver or Red.

DMC-TZ6 - 10 MP, 25 - 300 mm zoom, Optical Image Stabilization, 3.0" 230K dot LCD. Available 04/09 in Black or Silver

DMC-TZ7 - 12 MP, 25 - 300 mm zoom, Optical Image Stabilization, 3" 460K dot LCD. HD Video. Available in 04/09 in Black, Silver or Brown


This unit below is "only" a 28 mm unit, but I thought I would mention it because it is also ruggedized (like the Pentax Optio W60 and the Olympus Stylus 1030sw.) It uses a "folded optic" type lens which is inherently less prone to problems in the field. The light, practical level of ruggedization is a handy thing for us careless appraiser types or for those who worry when they are doing things in inclement weather... :-\

DMC-TS1 - 12.1 MP, 28 - 129 mm zoom, Optical Image Stabilization, 2.7" 230K dot LCD. HD Video. Ruggedized - rubber padding, reinforced glass, carbon resin frame. Dust resistant, water resistant to 3 m, shock (drop) resistant to 1.5 m. Available in 03/09 in Blue or Silver.

I have a couple of these cameras on order and will report on them when they come in. Hope this helps!


-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
 
Noted today that the Panasonic DMC-FX500K is 53% off at Amazon.com which makes it drop from the $399.95 MSRP to $189.53 including free shipping. http://tinyurl.com/cam95s Amazon doesn't say when the price drop expires, but my regular sources report that the deal will expire on 03/30/2009.

Basic specs:
10.1 MP
25mm - 125mm (equiv.) Zoom
Optical Image Stabilization
3" LCD screen - 230K pixels
SD/MMC/SDHC card + 50 MB internal storage
6.2 oz. - 3.7" x 2.2" x 0.9"

More detailed info on camera: http://tinyurl.com/4s2wuk

FWIW, I am generally pleased with this line of Panasonic cameras, but these days I tend to prefer the ruggedized pocket cameras. All of these types have 28mm - 125+mm zooms vs. the wider 25 mm (equiv) zooms found on some of the "regular" Panasonic pocket cameras. The ruggedized cameras I have tend to run a bit more than the regular cameras, but I've yet to have to replace one due to dropping, rain/dust or a telescoping lens mechanism malfunction. Hence, for me, the ruggedized cameras are less expensive... ;-)

Hope this helps!


-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
 
Noted today that the Panasonic DMC-FX500K is 53% off at Amazon.com which makes it drop from the $399.95 MSRP to $189.53 including free shipping. http://tinyurl.com/cam95s .....

Basic specs:
10.1 MP
25mm - 125mm (equiv.) Zoom
Optical Image Stabilization
3" LCD screen - 230K pixels
SD/MMC/SDHC card + 50 MB internal storage
6.2 oz. - 3.7" x 2.2" x 0.9"..
It's unfortunate that the Panasonics continue to exhibit lots of NOISE in
their photos - read the reviews at Amazon.
Owned one, it had a wonderful 10x stabilized zoom... but it took ugly pictures.
 
Riick,

I understand your comment. I have purchased no less than 23 cameras fairly recently - many of them Panasonics and I'm pretty familiar with most of their strengths and weaknesses... ;-) Your recommendation to read reviews is a good one, though, IMHO. Here is a link to a page with others: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=panasonic_dmcfx500. Keep in mind that some of these reviews are written by people with different needs or expectations than the average appraiser, so as always, the YMMV thing applies... :-)

Anyway, I was simply posting a link to a device that looked like a decent deal, it was not a recommendation to buy, LOL. It was my assumption that today, most appraisers took what amounted to "snapshots", not "portrait photographs" - LOL. Lets keep in mind that most of these pocket cameras are pretty cheap devices, especially considering their capabilities and should not be compared to an "Enthusiast" or DSLR type camera... ;-) I understand the desire to have a device that makes really nice family type shots, too, but for what most appraisers might NEED, I thought the DMC-FX500 was pretty decent, especially with its 25mm (equiv) lens.

FWIW, we find that Canons (even the lesser ones) tend to take the more pleasing "out of the box" shots, but none of them have the wider 25mm lenses and tend to cost a lot more. I'm not a Panasonic salesperson, LOL, so don't take this the wrong way... ;-) For my personal use, I enjoy the DMC-LX3 for a pocket camera and G1 for a DSLR type. (Waiting in the GH1 and my "perfect daily camera.") The G1 makes better shots than my older Canon, Pentax and Nikon DSLRs that were in the same price range and a helluva lot smaller... :-) As soon as the TS1 gets here, I'll report on its performance as well, but I'll keep in mind that this, too, is a "pocket shooter" with some compromises necessary to hit a budget and to be more durable and not expect the photographic output of a real Leica... ;-)

Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
 
Last edited:
Randall,

I want your equipment budget to play with. I've been shopping for a few lenses for my sony a200........

:)
 
Wendy,

I hope I did not create the wrong impression with my earlier post. I was running out the door and didn't put much thought into it before sending - my mistake. I edited it to be more accurate, but I can see how some might read it in a different way than I meant it to be read. I buy a lot of devices to test for suitability for different customer types - I don't go through that many cameras myself for personal use. We sometimes speak on Mobile Technology as part of a CE class and cameras are simply a part of that. Actually using one, holding it and getting a feel for them is an important factor, so I simply buy the ones that I think might work best for our customers and do a round of field tests to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak... ;-)

I've not used the A200 myself, but from looking at the specs, it appears to be a pretty competent DSLR, and one of the few Sony cameras with CF storage vs. Memory Stick - a real "Plus" in my book. From what I read, they were many times sold with an 18mm - 70mm (equiv.) "kit" lens. Which lens do you have and what do you not like about it? That is, what are you looking for in a lens to make your life better in this regard? I am happy to do some research and ask some of my camera pro buddies if they know of a good deal on a lens for your A200...

Also, as we know, many appraisers just like the DSLR type camera and even though they are more hassle to lug around, they just are more comfortable with them (myself included, LOL.) For those members here who are considering a new camera, it might be helpful if you'd share your experience with your A200 - what you like, what you don't like, etc. Helping others is what this forum is all about... :-)

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
 
Randell,
I was teasing you a bit. Like many appraisers, I enjoy photography as a side hobby. Really, I'm just jealous that you get to play with so many different toys. :D

I love my a200 and have used it for work, although I rely on my Kodak V705 for most appraisal stuff. The V705 is the bomb for that. Pretty tough too. And pink - I'm such a girl!

The a200 is used a lot for shooting surfing photos - my hobby. My a200 was packaged with 2 kit lenses - the one you mentioned above and a F4.5-5.6/75-300mm - Not bad for kit lenses, but still kit lenes.... Whole deal was $600 a year ago (not sure what the price is now).

Overall, I think the alphas are a really good combination of price & features. Shoots great even on auto. Super simple and intuitive menu is a plus. CF memory is great; my 4GB card holds over 1,000 10MP images and writes with no delay (I get 3fps and can shoot over 100 continuous jpg shots before the card pauses). Image stabilization in body also allows you to use Minolta legacy glass if you have it and makes new lenses a bit more affordable. Of course, all the Nikon snobs will sneer at you, but what do they know? ;)

Really, I strongly encourage anyone looking for a dSLR to check Sony's offerings out. Sony seems to be making a real effort to push dSLR technology - I'm interested to see where they will go with it.

As far as myself goes, I'd love a lens at or over 600mm. But the price tag, ouch!

Anybody know anybody selling a used AF 600mm lens or really bright/fast 300mm AF that I could add a 2x tele to for really, really cheap? Sony or Minolta mounts both work for me. Oh, and a nice tele macro too? I'd give them a good home....

Since I am just a poor residential appraiser, the only new glass my budget can handle is Tamron or Sigma. Have you tested any of those? I'm specifically looking at the Tamron 200-500 f5-6.3 or the Sigma 50-500 - although both are really shorter and slower than I want. sigh.

PS - Greg has an a200 too, maybe he'll chime in.
 
Wendy,

Hang on to that pink v705 - it is a keeper, maybe even a collector item some day... :-) Sometimes, the lens cover on the v570/v705 can get kinked, but a gentle nudge with a Q-tip and maybe a little dry graphite-based lubricant on the outside leading edge can revive it... :-)

I'll ask around to see if any buddies have an appropriate lens. I take it you are looking for the sweet spot re: fast vs. long?

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top