• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appriasal Institute Online Classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metamorphic

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I'm looking at some of the offerings they have an they look interesting, but too few are near enough to me to be day trips and my training budget is not large enough for travel, hotels, meals, etc.

Are the online classes "worth it"? Are you really mastering the material and having substantive interactions with the instructor and materials? Or are the online classes more of a way of achieving technical completion of the material.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I'm looking at some of the offerings they have an they look interesting, but too few are near enough to me to be day trips and my training budget is not large enough for travel, hotels, meals, etc.

Are the online classes "worth it"? Are you really mastering the material and having substantive interactions with the instructor and materials? Or are the online classes more of a way of achieving technical completion of the material.

It depends.
I'm fortunate in that there are a significant number of classes offered in my area (NorCal), so I'll usually take the live courses.
I've taken USPAP on-line before, and that worked for me (I think one can get as a good an education on this forum- if one reads the right posters- as one can get from the live instruction).
I need to take a best practices class in my pursuit of a designation, and I'm going to do that on-line as well.
I took one on manufactured housing a while ago. For me, it wasn't as good as going and taking the live instruction (you may be different).

So, here's what works for me:
If I think I have a good understanding of the subject and am taking it for CE purposes only, I'll do it on-line.
If I really want to learn the subject, I'll go live.
If I couldn't go live, I think I'd order and read the texts that are recommended for the courses first, and then try the on-line experience.

Good luck!

Metamorphic

Professional Status
State
California
I was looking at the designation requirements.

Do all, some, most of the classes have to be taken through AI to qualify for the designation? All my BE classes were through non-AI sources, and I took the Report Writing class from a local guy.

Rick Phillips

Professional Status
State
District of Columbia
Are the online classes "worth it"?

Only ever failed one test ... was an online one :) If you have any hint of attention deficit disorder, then nope. Suck it up and take stay in a cheap hotel ... take it in person. Not to mention, that when you take the course in person you really learn a lot more than just what's being offered. You get the benefit of the instructor's (and many students') knowledge...

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Also be aware not all states approve "on-line" USPAP instruction.

Metamorphic

Professional Status
State
California
Seems like CA. does. At least they approved the handful I checked on.

Professional Status
State
Florida

Do all, some, most of the classes have to be taken through AI to qualify for the designation? All my BE classes were through non-AI sources, and I took the Report Writing class from a local guy.

My answer would be probably yes.

andy ruffner

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
My answer would be probably yes.

The anwer is yes, but read carefully, many of the basic courses in the curriculums for the MAI and SRA can be satisfied by having a certified residential or general license. I did take like Basic Inc. Cap just as a refresher before knocking out the other classes.

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
State
Michigan

You have to either take all of the required classes or successfully challenge them. Even if you have taken them somewhere else...price of an MAI/SRA

SpartanAG

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I'm taking AI online course right now. I like them online because they are cheaper and I don't have to miss work. Plus they are work at your own pace (you do have a completion deadline though). I don't have a problem learning from online courses, but if I did have a question I'd just ask my supervisor. The instructors make themselves available via email and more if needed. Try one, if you like it then you will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks