• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Are Staff Appraisers paid customary and reasonable fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a teen I fixed computers for free. Anyone who needed it. I loved helping people fix their computer problems because slow computers are the devil. I thought I would make a career out of it, but here I am.
Based on your posts doing appraisals is not your long term career.
 
But I genuinely don't think I'm better than anyone else. There are no bad people, just bad ideas. Everyone is just trying to do the best they can with what they were given.
 
Based on your posts doing appraisals is not your long term career.
I love what I do. I can't say that I always did though. My biggest regret was dropping out of computer science because it was 'too hard'. I was in college way too young and I didn't work hard because I never had to before.

But being an appraiser is awesome. It's an analytical skill and I get to see cool houses. It's an independent process, which is something I really like.
 
But I genuinely don't think I'm better than anyone else. There are no bad people, just bad ideas. Everyone is just trying to do the best they can with what they were given.
No bad people, tell that to that POS who shot me two times :) LMAO
 
No bad people, tell that to that POS who shot me two times :) LMAO
I don't appraise in Felony Flats so I never been shot.
I knew of one appraiser who goes to Oakland and I think he carries a gun with permit.
 
When you work for yourself, nobody tells you what to do and nobody takes a cut of your labor. I accept those 'cheap' orders with pride! I have pride in my work. I wouldn't accept an order if I didn't want it.

My problem with the workplace environment is that you get equal pay for unequal work. The person who goes above and beyond is not rewarded with more pay. I learned this at my very first job at Jewel Osco. I cleaned the shelves so well that my boss made me clean shelves ALL DAY once a week. He specifically told me so.
What is a cheap fee to you?
 
I have this one AMC which I haven't changed my fees in over 10 years so it's low like below $200 for an exterior.
I don't accept them and haven't bothered to change to my new fees. I get a sense of how many orders they're sending out.
It's interesting to see even at that low fee, I'm not getting that many orders from them unlike in the past.
Overall volume has dropped for AMCs.
 
Last edited:
What is a cheap fee to you?
$300 1004. Should be $400. But $300 is worth my time.

The fees were so much better in Omaha. I made 25% more doing the same work. Too many appraisers here in Chicagoland.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top