• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Can Appraiser Appraise His/her Own House?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljiang

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
New York
I have done many taxes grievance purpose reports for my client. But not sure if I can write up one for my own house. Thank you.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
You have to disclose you have a vested interest in the outcome. You have to disclose your bias.

And just because you can write something, doesn't mean you should.

Take your own advice, and hire a professional, who is unbiased.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
You don't need an appraisal. Just provide well documented comparable properties.

I got my property reduced by nearly 20% by simply providing good data and representing myself.

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
In my state, and in many other states, any property owner is allowed to opine about the value of his/her own personal home. Putting that in the context of AO-21, in such a situation I would clarify that I was appearing before the tax board as a home owner and not as an appraiser.

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
I have done many taxes grievance purpose reports for my client. But not sure if I can write up one for my own house. Thank you.

As long as you don't sign a certification page that states you have no interest in the property. But then, an appraisal requires a certification page, so...NO.

Nothing is stopping you from collecting data on similar homes and summarizing the data for them to compare to your property, as others stated. Just don't call it an appraisal.

Its not complicated, at least in this state. You go in and say "you have my house assessed at $225,000. Here are the property record cards of houses in my area that are very similar to mine and you have them assessed at $175K. Please explain the difference?"

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I concur... just don't call it an appraisal. It's ok to let the county know you are an appraiser which will probably work to your advantage.

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont

I do it every few years. I'm sure it's different everywhere, but around here they only care about errors. I can usually point out errors with my assessment or errors with the comps their mass appraisal software spits out. That's the only way I've had success.

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
In my state, and in many other states, any property owner is allowed to opine about the value of his/her own personal home. Putting that in the context of AO-21, in such a situation I would clarify that I was appearing before the tax board as a home owner and not as an appraiser.

And that the report submitted is to be considered only as a draft report. :)

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
not sure if I can write up one for my own house.
I wouldn't use a report for that purpose, but no reason you can represent yourself in an appeal on your own property.

But then, an appraisal requires a certification page, so...NO.
So why can someone use a certification that discloses their interest in the property? What would be wrong with that?

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
What if I do the appraisal for my own personal use?
I can say my house was appraised over $1,000,000. :dancefool:
Never mind the top end for Reseda is about $700k. :leeann2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks