• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Class Action For The Theft Of Appraisers’ Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
How so? I see nothing in Cert 21 that would prohibit a fee for distribution of the report.

These threads about "theft" of data make me grin a little. I sure hope that no one who signs up as interested in such action is "sharing" MLS credentials :)

I am not upset with the distribution of the data as there are other means of obtaining it. I have a problem with my photos being distributed. I own those photos. I effective have given the client and intended user a license to use those photos for the intended use stated in the appraisal report. I have not given any permission for them to distribute them for any other use.

I have not given any permission for them to distribute them for any other use.
Really? That would be very odd/unusual. Is Cert 21, which authorizes distribution of your entire report (with no limitation on use) to several entities, including data collection services, not part of your reports? Any added language related to limiting use would be a violation of the Fannie rule about adding limiting conditions or modifying the pre-printed certifications.

Duplicate deleted

Last edited:
How so? I see nothing in Cert 21 that would prohibit a fee for distribution of the report.

These threads about "theft" of data make me grin a little. I sure hope that no one who signs up as interested in such action is "sharing" MLS credentials :)
Surely the report per cert 21 can be distributed

Can you point to the the words datamining specifically in cert 21? Or in your opinion is the term distribution the equivalent used to imply data mining as well? :)

Examples of data mining in a Sentence
Recent Examples on the Web

Facebook gave generous user data access to third-party app developers for years, which created a situation in which tens of millions of people had their personal information packaged and sold to a data mining firm without proper consent.— Nick Statt, The Verge, "Google tries to calm controversy over app developers having access to your Gmail," 3 July 2018

The programs focused on a range of capabilities, including information analysis, decision-support tools, language translation, data mining, and pattern recognition.— Renee Diresta, WIRED, "How the Tech Giants Created What Darpa Couldn’t," 29 May 2018

Surely the report per cert 21 can be distributed

Can you point to the the words datamining specifically in cert 21? Or in your opinion is the term distribution the equivalent used to imply data mining as well? :)

Data mining? I did not use that term, and neither does Cert 21. Can you point to any language in Cert 21 that limits use of a distributed report? I can point to language that prohibits an appraiser from adding such language :)

It is funny how every few years someone tries to get appraisers fired up over this one. After 20 years, where is the meat?

I am not upset with the distribution of the data as there are other means of obtaining it. I have a problem with my photos being distributed. I own those photos. I effective have given the client and intended user a license to use those photos for the intended use stated in the appraisal report. I have not given any permission for them to distribute them for any other use.
Data mining? I did not use that term, and neither does Cert 21. Can you point to any language in Cert 21 that limits use of a distributed report? I can point to language that prohibits an appraiser from adding such language :)

It is funny how every few years someone tries to get appraisers fired up over this one. After 20 years, where is the meat?

OK, Danny. Let’s break down cert. #21.

. The lender/client may disclose or distribute this appraisal report to: the borrower; another lender at the request of the borrower; the mortgagee or its successors and assigns; mortgage insurers; government sponsored enterprises; other secondary market participants; data collection or reporting services

This is where you say they can do it. I agree that they can distribute the appraisal report to these data collection or reporting service. Cert. #21 goes on to say,

“…Such consent must be obtained before this appraisal report may be disclosed or distributed to any other party (including, but not limited to, the public through advertising, public relations, news, sales, or other media).”

Now, here is where I have problems. The appraisal report can be distributed, but it does not say it can be data mined and used for profit by those it was distributed to without the appraiser’s consent. To do so is a violation of copyright law.

:rof::rof::rof:

You should be concerned you make derogatory comments to something you did not even read

it is NOT a petition. It is a list of people that express interest in a possible class action suit. It is not a threat of a suit either. Only an attorney can tell us whether or not they think we have a legitimate legal case.
Mike Ford, comments.

So if you have an interest, read the article. If you don't,

DON'T MAKE STUFF UP.

I read the entire article and it's non-sense-but go ahead and submit your name and sit back and wait because if they really had a case they would have filed the initial lawsuit and proved to a court that there were sufficient damages suffered by hundreds of appraisers BUT we all have the right to live in LA, LA, Land .

Appraisal reports are not sold, for the purposes of re-sale.

I read the entire article and it's non-sense-but go ahead and submit your name and sit back and wait because if they really had a case they would have filed the initial lawsuit and proved to a court that there were sufficient damages suffered by hundreds of appraisers BUT we all have the right to live in LA, LA, Land .

:rof::rof:

Do you need a comfort puppy?

And what software is that you are using for your res lending assignments?

Does your software even handle UAD?

:rof::rof::rof:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back