• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Comp use only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you provide a citation to the complaint? I’m not disputing you, but if that’s a board’s interpretation, I’d like to read more about it.
Same here. That would mean to me. That when doing new construction appraisals. You could not use builder sales. Since most are "build to suit". Buyer walks into sales office. Decides on model, chooses lot. Never "exposed" to market. Something is missing.
 
Sorry guys... but at least one state board has said... 'not a good idea'. In this area, a lot of custom builds get reported in the MLS. Those properties were never exposed to the market. Ultimately, only the appraiser can decide which sales are appropriate for use as comparables in an appraisal. It's your license.
And a property going under contract early in the construction process is not the same property that closes 9 months later with $100,000 in upgrades, with a sale price $100,000 higher than the initial listing price. Just because the address doesn't change doesn't mean the completed property as a whole was exposed to the market. Those are build to suit transactions.
 
Same here. That would mean to me. That when doing new construction appraisals. You could not use builder sales. Since most are "build to suit". Buyer walks into sales office. Decides on model, chooses lot. Never "exposed" to market. Something is missing.
In my view, it depends on when in the construction process the contract occurs, and whether or not the completed home is the base model, or has "upgrades." I have lost track of how many appraisers I have seen reporting that they simply apply the differences in the dollar amounts of "upgrades" as an adjustment in their appraisals. The "upgrades" part of a build to suit are not exposed to the market, so the dwelling as completed was not exposed to the market.
 
Sorry guys... but at least one state board has said... 'not a good idea'. In this area, a lot of custom builds get reported in the MLS. Those properties were never exposed to the market. Ultimately, only the appraiser can decide which sales are appropriate for use as comparables in an appraisal. It's your license.
Please explain the state board's perspective.
 
Same here. That would mean to me. That when doing new construction appraisals. You could not use builder sales. Since most are "build to suit". Buyer walks into sales office. Decides on model, chooses lot. Never "exposed" to market. Something is missing.
Yes, but aren't all of the buyer's specs subsequently included as "upgrades," "options," "financing discounts," etc? (Although I HATE new construction and now avoid then.)
 
but at least one state board has said... 'not a good idea'.
Sounds like another idiot board. There is no obligation to use the MLS in USPAP...none. Even in a non-disclosure state the appraiser could identify the buyer and seller and contact them directly. It would be time consuming and tedious to say the least..but can be done. We did it for 30 years for poultry farms and ranches. Often supplemented that with a trip to the integrator's offices to find out the farm performance expectations of the grower (most will provide an expense and profit list that comprises the latest average costs and incomes or a history of the farm itself. OTOH with a farm appraisal running $5000 maybe more, you can "take your time and don't miss" as Bat Masterson used to say.
Not in MLS does not mean it was not exposed to the market, but it could.
I see it all the time in Oklahoma where the Tulsa board and the NE OK board basically overlap in the counties west of Grand Lake O' the Cherokees. They see the sale close and exchange data with that agent...or sometimes the agent of one board sells the listing of another board - again, with Zillow looking at both boards, you sometimes get data from both and can figure out when originally listed and when sold so you can calculate the DOM.
 
You could not use builder sales.
I love to do new construction usually. First off, I have a ton of new construction sales that are Realtor listed, plenty of lot sales, and if a custom build and I have good numbers, I can calculate the CA both 'by the book' and extracting a price per SF...so I might have two cost approaches and one sales approach- And normally might weight the CA in the final analysis. Of course, I don't work for idiots...I mean FNMA nor FHA. I did take a recent FHA class...just to keep up with the latest BS from them. The worst place for new construction is some rural county where new construction is not common, and then, again, I am free to use the CA...which is best when dealing with "new construction"... it's in the textbooks that way. I have no reason to dispute it.
 
In almost all cases, subject has to be in MLS to be expose to as many buyers as possible to get best price (maybe out in the boonies it works differently).
Not just in MLS but stupid agent has to put it in correct category to let other agents know.
IF SFR listed in 2-4 unit category or vice versa, agents don't know about it and won't be able to get full market exposure.
 
In almost all cases, subject has to be in MLS to be expose to as many buyers as possible to get best price (maybe out in the boonies it works differently).
Not just in MLS but stupid agent has to put it in correct category to let other agents know.
IF SFR listed in 2-4 unit category or vice versa, agents don't know about it and won't be able to get full market exposure.
"Cross Property" search criteria works.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top