• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Desktop appraisals officially rolling out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hybrid is dead so everyone needs to focus on the desk top model and it may end up working just fine especially for older appraisers who are blind in one eye and whose will now receive professional photos and a professional measurements that are ANSI approved. Its going to take off because Realtors now will not have pesky appraisers nit picking stuff because they wont see it.
If the hybrid is dead, where is the news release on that ? Why did they fail- maybe the concerns we expressed were real / seen in the test period?

Until recently hybrids were touted as the next big thing, now the next big thing is the desktop with no inspection ...will see how that goes , the change seems pretty sudden maybe it happened to take the place of the hybrids...?

Last edited:
You have to love the crooked corruption between TAF, AMC/Lenders, tech oligarchs, and state boards. Remember not so long ago when all the talk was about appraiser over-supply? I remember the Florida Real Estate Board says, “State-certified appraisers could not take on trainees until they were practicing for two years. Guess what now the state-boards are advertising for trainees like Craigslist. Payback is sweet.

Quick question, J. Isn't a hybrid and a desktop the same thing? IOW, if a hybrid is an appraisal with SOW that the appraiser doesn't make an inspection, but rather depends on someone else to do the inspection, and if a desktop is an appraisal with SOW that the appraiser doesn't make an inspection, but rather depends on someone else to provide the data required for credible results (floor plan, interior photos, etc.), in a practical sense - what is the difference?

Quick question, J. Isn't a hybrid and a desktop the same thing? IOW, if a hybrid is an appraisal with SOW that the appraiser doesn't make an inspection, but rather depends on someone else to do the inspection, and if a desktop is an appraisal with SOW that the appraiser doesn't make an inspection, but rather depends on someone else to provide the data required for credible results (floor plan, interior photos, etc.), in a practical sense - what is the difference?
/see above post 63 from fannie-
Far as I can tell, difference is

for A hybrid , a person performed an onsite /interior inspection of the subject. Along with other sources, appraiser uses the person's inspection results -photos, notes, sketch /measured

A desktop 1004, No person performed a subject onsite /interior inspection , and appraiser used a number of sources for info, including a floorplan.

Difference is both stink but the 1004 desktop stinks a lot worse ! ( partly kidding - only partly ) At least with a hybrid, someone went out there -and went inside, viewed the entire property, took photos- with a desktop 1004 we have to hunt down a floor plan, hope there are recent photos , hope there is no unseen defect, and might use an app to direct an owner to measure their own house ?

Last edited:
/see above post 63 from fannie-
Far as I can tell, difference is

for A hybrid , a person performed an onsite /interior inspection of the subject. The appraiser uses their inspection results -photos, notes, sketch /measured

A desktop 1004, No person performed a subject onsite /interior inspection , and appraiser used a number of sources for info, including a floorplan.
Cool. So what is the difference in an appraiser relying on another person's inspection verses an appraiser relying on another person's data collection abilities? Someone has to provide interior photos, someone has to provide a sketch with interior walls, etc. Are you saying the big difference is that one person did the inspection, as opposed to potentially several folks doing the data collection? I'm not following why you think they're so different? The appraiser's work is the same, with the exception of a slightly altered form type, right?

Cool. So what is the difference in an appraiser relying on another person's inspection verses an appraiser relying on another person's data collection abilities? Someone has to provide interior photos, someone has to provide a sketch with interior walls, etc. Are you saying the big difference is that one person did the inspection, as opposed to potentially several folks doing the data collection? I'm not following why you think they're so different? The appraiser's work is the same, with the exception of a slightly altered form type, right?
Desktop 1004: data collection is not a substitute for lack of any inspection.
Hybrid, a third party inspection is not a substitute for an appraiser doing their own inspection., but at least somebody was at the house for purpose of inspection, with interior and exterior viewered ad notes/on site measure and photos.

With a 1004, disparate, disjointed data will come from sources that were not done for appraisal inspection purpose with results that have to be gathered ( extra work and time to track down) and the info can range from adequate to incorrect or misleading. My comment stands, and you are free to disagree,

My comment stands, and you are free to disagree,
That they're different? Of course I'm free to disagree - I disagree with most of what you post, J. I just don't understand, from an appraiser's perspective, how the actual work is going to be different. Granted, fewer folks will be supplying the data in a hybrid assignment (than for desktop), but the appraiser is still going to be responsible for collecting that amount of data necessary for credible results - in either scenario...

That they're different? Of course I'm free to disagree - I disagree with most of what you post, J. I just don't understand, from an appraiser's perspective, how the actual work is going to be different. Granted, fewer folks will be supplying the data in a hybrid assignment (than for desktop), but the appraiser is still going to be responsible for collecting that amount of data necessary for credible results - in either scenario...
I cann't help it if you fail to see a difference from appraiser perspective. When was the last time you did an appraisal, and a desktop 1004? Have you ever done one?

I cann't help it if you fail to see a difference from appraiser perspective. When was the last time you did an appraisal, and a desktop 1004? Have you ever done one?
The last time I did an appraisal was about 3 months ago. I don't know anyone who has completed a 1004 Desktop, although I'm sure some folks have done them in a test environment. Have you actually looked at the form? Aside from the header/footer, SOW and certs, I can't tell that much difference. Can you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back