• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Does Minimum Wage Increase Help Or Hurt The Appraisal Business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mickey D has no monopoly on kiosk ordering. Red Robin and others have eliminated the order ticket as does every drive thru chain around.

Wonder why those AR Amish places are so crowded...missing the kiosk? :)

Wonder why those AR Amish places are so crowded...missing the kiosk? :)
They build the building, cook from scratch and use their kids as labor. Bumblebee pie...hmm hmmm. You don't need to save labor when you charge $5 for a slice of pie...

" The guy on the tractor can load one round bale (the equivalent of 40-50 square bales) in about 60 seconds. The teenage boy throwing square bales on the back of a trailer will take a couple hours to load 50 bales." -Michagan CG

Yep, and the guy on the tractor is -even odds - morbidly obese, on his way to bypass surgery and Lipitor, while the teenage boy is on is way to the shower, a football game and a date with Homecoming Queen.:rolleyes:

on his way to bypass surgery and Lipitor
Yeah, and he is 68 years old...can't lift #50 without back hurting and knees popping. That teenager will have knee surgery and be forced into low impact exercise by age 40 thanks to sports and hopefully suffer no permanent brain damage from that concussion in 9th grade. And by that age he will be buying a bigger tractor to handle even more bales than his dad did.

Yep, whrene
" The guy on the tractor can load one round bale (the equivalent of 40-50 square bales) in about 60 seconds. The teenage boy throwing square bales on the back of a trailer will take a couple hours to load 50 bales." -Michagan CG

Yep, and the guy on the tractor is -even odds - morbidly obese, on his way to bypass surgery and Lipitor, while the teenage boy is on is way to the shower, a football game and a date with Homecoming Queen.:rolleyes:

Yep as a teenager us boys from our rural neighborhood would all ride our bikes down to Kennerups farm during hay season. We get there o dark thirty, his wife would feed us a farmers breakfast, then off we go on the truck to the field to load 60-70 pound bails on the ten wheeler. We were paid $15 dollars per day which included the breakfast, light lunch in the field, and dinner when we got back to the farm with the last load of the day. To say we were fit and strong is an understatement once hay season was over. $15.00 per day cash was huge money back then to a teenager. We earned every bit of it.

To Terrell Years ago I was married to the daughter of a farm/ranch owner in the Panhandle of North Texas. Weekends during wheat/milo harvest I worked driving the truck to haul the grain to the nearest elevator. Pretty easy work, except it made for a long day. Got to get it in before a Hail Storm came up.

I also helped with the cattle. Wife and I Even bought groups(15-25 pairs) to fatten up and let them get bigger and off to the market when they were ready .

Here is what I learned about the difference between round bails and regular bales. You have to break up the round bales and scatter it along a line. Thats a lot of work.

Where as we always used regular bales. We would set them out in a long row and break them open. Much easier. Travis told me the reason he used regular bales is that they are easier to spread in a line. Thats very important when you feed cattle. If you just have a round bale broken down but not spread is the weaker cattle have a hard time getting up to the hay. Thats not good. Also he did not like to put out that much hay(1 round bale ) at a time. The cattle were also feeding on the grass in the pasture area. My biggest responsibility was breaking ice every morning and sometimes at night.

Reactions: DTB
Yeah, and he is 68 years old...can't lift #50 without back hurting and knees popping. That teenager will have knee surgery and be forced into low impact exercise by age 40 thanks to sports and hopefully suffer no permanent brain damage from that concussion in 9th grade. And by that age he will be buying a bigger tractor to handle even more bales than his dad did.
..or will have gone to Arkansas with a football scholarship, married Cutie Pie, bought a bazillion shares of ADM with his eight-figure NFL salary, and has given his daddy a John Deere 9560 RT ; his daddy whose joy in life is using it to pull a trailer across a hay field, so his grandchildren can learn the joy of a shower after a day of pitching 50-pound alfalfa bales up on the wagon and the satisfaction of being able to stack them so they don't fall off- the bales, not the grandchildren.

Added - my first hay field experience was on my uncle's farm. He mowed with a mule-drawn sickle-bar mower. The mule also pulled the windrower, and the hay wagon we pitched the hay on. We lifted the hay to the barn loft with hay hoist (powered by that same mule).

Last edited:
An increase in the minimum wage from $7-$9 drags any worker who had worked their way up to $9/hr on their own back to being a minimum wage worker UNLESS that more valuable worker is given a raise to $11.57/hr. That's what it will take for that worker to maintain their economic leverage over their less valuable co-workers. The $15/hr worker needs to get bumped to $19.28/hr in order to maintain their leverage. The $30/hr worker needs to get bumped to $38.57.

If you think that's what will probably occur 95% of the time then great. Personally, I have my doubts.
You are one of the few who can see with clarity.

Weekends during wheat/milo harvest I worked driving the truck to haul the grain to the nearest elevator. Pretty easy work, except it made for a long day.
Long days on a truck hauling hay was the norm. Often hauled into the night.
You have to break up the round bales and scatter it along a line.
We fed in hay rings with surplus free feeding, no rationing of hay unless really short of hay, in which case we supplemented with cottonseed meal cubes.Pickups can enroll bales now.
My biggest responsibility was breaking ice every morning and sometimes at night.
The most miserable job on the farm.
He mowed with a mule-drawn sickle-bar mower.
We still hay some old timers who know how to do that. I doubt I could harness a horse or mule. Someone stole my dad's last harness out of the barn a couple years ago.
You are one of the few who can see with clarity.
Compression of wages is a problem. But fits the social justice narrative of equality. But if you are 30 something years old and still working for minimum wage, you are not bright, not educated, not motivated, or all of the above. Minimum wage jobs are intended as much to serve as both a service and for a young person to develop a work ethic or skill. Otherwise a part-time job for the older unskilled person. If you like working at Mickey D's, why would you not want to become a manager? It doesn't take long to go up the chain. I know a CPA who worked her way thru college but before she got her degree she was actually the manager of a Pizza Hut at age 21, and making as much as her first accounting job. But ended up with her own tax service and doing well.
bobreams&tershields1973pixbydelia.JPG

I'm tired of listening to you city slickers.. :rof:

George Hatch said:
An increase in the minimum wage from $7-$9 drags any worker who had worked their way up to $9/hr on their own back to being a minimum wage worker UNLESS that more valuable worker is given a raise to $11.57/hr. That's what it will take for that worker to maintain their economic leverage over their less valuable co-workers. The $15/hr worker needs to get bumped to $19.28/hr in order to maintain their leverage. The $30/hr worker needs to get bumped to $38.57.

Making more than another person does not give you "leverage" over that person, it simply means that person makes $X an hour and you make $Y. It is a comparison, not a leverage. People compare themselves with others in similar sociology economic positions.

it is only in the marginal hierarchy of the lower paid workers, where increments around min wage comparisons would be made. If a server makes $7 an hour and a floor managers makes 11.75 an hour, the floor manager is not not "dragged down" by the server's min wage going to $9 an hour. What "leverage" is the manager losing?

Does a healthy person need to be around sick people to "leverage" their own health? It that is the comparison, does a healthy person get sicker when sick people start to get well? No. The healthy person is not losing anything, and society will benefit by more people becoming healthy.

A min wage or under paid worker is "sick" in the sense the wage does not pay for necessitates and a base standard of living. A higher paid person is "healthier " when their pay at least pays for a livable existence and of course many strive for, an achieve higher than that. Which does not change he fact that the workers not earning enough are "sick" .. drive around any poverty areas and it looks sick ( even with many working people living there), then drive around middle class and then higher class $ areas and see how they look- since areas can only reflect what the occupants earn, why would anyone want low pay to continue to create more run down, hopeless, areas across the USA?

Back to original topic the small # of appraisers who use hourly paid f more than 2 staff employees is llow, for those that do either their business is thriving enough pay the staff adequately or not,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back