• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chief economist of the California Assn. of Realtors has stopped using the term "soft landing" to describe the state's real estate market, saying she no longer feels comfortable with that mild label.

"Maybe we need something new. That's all I'm prepared to say," Appleton-Young said Thursday.

Dang!....and "soft landing" was getting to be such a popular expression!

Japan - what could happen here

Although some will pooh-pooh the very thought of something like what has happened in the last 15 years in Japan could ever happen to the U.S., the following link gives a recapitulation of the Japanese history for the great slump - even deflation with zero percent interest rates for what ultimately was a banking crisis and real estate market over valuation followed by a government bailout.

http://www.economist.com/finance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=7189583

CSF078.gif

Peak Oil + a Japan style bloat loan portfolio

Its Japan style lending + Peak oil ........ = new territory with meany China ...... to boot ..... ouch

And yet,

Unemployment in the Joplin MSA dropped to 3.7 percent in the most recent month's stats.

Places that have had rapid expansion, such as NW Arkansas, places that have had rapid price increases, such as S California, and places that have had rampant fraud, such as KC, might have problems in their markets or segments of their markets. I see some evidence that there is cooling in the housing industry, particularly in regards to new construction. I see some reason for concern with fuel price increases, stock market volatility, and some possible cooling of the economy paired with inflation.

But, for those areas of the nation where homeowners live in their homes (as opposed to places where much property is owned by speculators) I don't see much chance of a bubble bust so long as employment remains strong.

Pictorial of Housing Inventory Increases

20060721-hagerty.gif

Employment trends are among the most important factors in determining demand for housing.

Metro areas showing large increases of homes for sale and relatively weak employment growth include Boston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and New York. Among the strongest markets overall are Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth and Seattle. All three areas are benefiting from robust job markets, and modest home prices are drawing investors and new residents to Texas.

Last edited:
Salty water

Well that does not look too bad ....... never mind .... everything is going to be fine ......

middle america .... are middle earth people ..... people with some idea about how to live ...... its the rest of us who live on the margins ...

..... Florida was always cheap ..... guess it just caught up ......

...... excuse me while I go look for some clean water to drink ......

Why are wealthy Californians moving to Nevada?

Move to Nevada Proves To Be Very Taxing for Tech Billionaire

By George Anders
From The Wall Street Journal Online

Scores of wealthy Californians "go Nevadan" each year, relocating to a neighboring state famous for its low taxes.

Nevada transplants account for more than 20% of all tax disputes made public earlier this year by California tax authorities. Complex cases can take a decade or longer to sort out.

Officials of California's Franchise Tax Board say they don't begrudge anyone the right to move to low-tax states. But they want to ensure that exiting Californians pay any taxes due on income or capital gains earned while in the state.

For the whole article, see the link:

http://www.realestatejournal.com/buysell/taxesandinsurance/20060718-anders.html?refresh=on

Ms. Appleton-Young practically had to be hit over the head with a statistical brick before she would finally acknowledge the elephant in the room. It's about time.

As expected, the phrase "New Paradigm" is out, "Soft Landing" has just arrived DOA, and now they're casting about for another variation of "it won't happen this time because things are different".

I heard the next buzz phrase they were test driving is "the new normal". Time will tell how that one works out but I'm not enthusiastic for that one, either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back