• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrel L. Shields said:
Bank story from Joplin.
Interestingly, I've heard some of those stories too. Also, real estate agents I've talked to say it's slower than it was (might be at least partly seasonal, though). Still, the MLS sends me an e-mail of property changes every day and I don't see anything unusal happening there; number of new listings, pendings, sold, expired, and back on market all reasonably similar to prior quarters. Also, last time I checked (it's been a month or so) the percentage difference between list price and sale price was only about -2.9 percent; of course, that could just indicate a professional real estate agent force that is listing lower now. Number of sales in this twelve month period and the previous, total dollar volume, DOM, etc. All seem to say that nothing much is different. Still... there are some strange vibrations going on in the air.

In NWA, the first Q was 13% slower than the last but prices increased. Inventory is much higher and developers are withholding some houses off the market so that there are not too many "for sale" signs on a street. They sell one then move the sign to the next house. You can drive thru the subdivisions and see the ones that don't have curtains.
Perhaps most telling were these new subs were selling builders lots by dutch auction and they were taking 5 - 30 lots at a time. Complete sell out with some 'players' not getting any lots. Now those same sub lots are not selling, not even getting a bid unless its cheap cheap.

Holy cow 111 Pages and still going. Someone call guiness book of world records the AF might just be able to get in there now. :)

Ryan,

How's your area doing these days. Is it still going strong?

Housing starts hit lowest pace in 18 months

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/news/economy/housing_starts.reut/index.htm
Housing starts hit lowest pace in 18 months
Homebuilding falls more than expected in June, with the biggest drop in the Northeast.
July 19 2006: 12:44 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Groundbreaking for U.S. homes resumed their decline in June, as single-family housing starts fell to their slowest pace in 1-1/2 years, with a sharp plunge in the Northeast, a government report showed on Wednesday.

The Commerce Department said June housing starts fell 5.3 percent in June to a 1.850 million unit annual pace, from a downwardly revised 1.953 million unit pace in May. The rise in May, driven by an unexpected jump in multifamily starts, interrupted three straight monthly declines.

June housing starts fell short of economists' expectations of a decline to 1.90 million unit pace from May's originally reported 1.957 million unit pace.

The Northeast was hit with the sharpest declines, with single-family housing starts in the region plunging 32.8 percent to a 92,000-unit annual pace in June, registering their biggest monthly drop since March 1984 and the slowest annual pace since January 1996.

In the United States as a whole, permits for future groundbreaking, an indicator of builder confidence, fell 4.3 percent in June to a 1.862 million unit pace, the slowest since May 2003. Economists polled by Reuters expected June permits to fall to 1.920 million units after an upwardly revised 1.946 million units, originally reported as 1.932 million.

"The slowdown in the housing market may be orderly but it is significant nonetheless," said Joel Naroff, president of Naroff Economic Advisers in Holland, Pa. "Housing starts tumbled in June and builders are in full retreat."

Compared with a year earlier, June housing starts were down 11.0 percent and housing permits were down 14.9 percent.

U.S. single-family housing starts fell 6.5 percent to an annual pace of 1.486 million units, the slowest since November 2004.

Total Northeast housing starts fell 11.5 percent in June, while total Northeast permits rose 6.1 percent, driven entirely by multi-family plans as Northeast single-family permits fell 3.9 percent in June.

Multifamily construction refers to homes with at least five units, such as apartment buildings.

In the West, total housing starts fell 10.2 percent, with single-family starts down 5.9 percent, and total permits down 7.6 percent. June housing starts in the South fell 4.0 percent, while permits fell 5.3 percent. In the Midwest, June housing starts rose 3.0 percent, but permits dipped 1.6 percent.

Construction of multifamily buildings, which had been showing some lingering signs of strength in recent months, were weaker in June, as starts for buildings with five or more units fell 4.1 percent to an annual rate of 306,000. Permits for such buildings, however, rose 6.1 percent to an annual pace of 397,000.

In remarks to the Senate Banking Committee, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said housing prices are rising significantly less rapidly than previously.

He noted that this was not surprising, as sustained price increases, together with some increase in mortgage rates, has reduced the affordability and thus the demand for new homes.

If Bernanke "still thinks there are inflationary concerns he's going to continue to raise the fed funds rate and that will trickle into continuing to cool off the housing market," said Bob Moulton, president of the Americana Mortgage Group in Manhasset, N.Y.

The data also comes a day after a confidence index for U.S. home builders plummeted to its lowest level in more than 14 years in July as buyers canceled contracts and investors pulled back from housing.

The National Association of Home Builders said sentiment among home builders dropped 3 points to a reading of 39 in July, below forecasts from economists and the lowest since December 1991, when the U.S. was emerging from a recession.

On Wednesday, the Mortgage Bankers Association reported U.S. mortgage applications fell last week for the first time in three weeks, largely reflecting a steep drop in home purchase loans even as mortgage interest rates dipped.

The MBA said its seasonally adjusted index of mortgage application activity for the week ended July 14 decreased 4.6 percent to 540.8 from the previous week's 566.8.

George Hatch said:
Ryan,

How's your area doing these days. Is it still going strong?

The refi's have dropped off this month. I will probably have my first month in 1.5 years where I will make enough to pay the bills or slightly more. The market seems to still be going up slightly but, not to the extreme of last year. We are pojected last I heard to have an influx of about 5,000 people a month to Pierce County. I would say that right now the market is getting back more to the typical marketing time of 30-90 days instead of the under 30 days of last year (or instead of days on market being hours on market).

So I take it prices there are still climbing, albeit at a little slower rate?

What kinds of total increase percentages would you say your market has experienced in this upcycle so far? I mean, you guys were talking about $100,000 homes a while back - are those all gone or did the market not jump that much?

Depends on the area. Right now you can still find houses in the mid to high $100K. I live in East Tacoma which is not a great neighborhood but not a bad neighborhood either. There is from looking on the MLS no house under $160K active. There are areas of North Tacoma (better) or NE Tacoma where nothing under $250K. Last year the Assessor has Tacoma as a city increasing 21.5% for the year of 05. I would say that is pretty much in line for 05. So far I would say we may be back to a far less than double digits. Unless something happens in the last part of the year.

But I would say climbing slowly so far.

Soft landers are you going to change the term to hard landing?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-soft21jul21,0,3311200.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Housing Expert: 'Soft Landing' Off Mark
By David Streitfeld, Times Staff Writer
July 21, 2006

Leslie Appleton-Young is at a loss for words.

The chief economist of the California Assn. of Realtors has stopped using the term "soft landing" to describe the state's real estate market, saying she no longer feels comfortable with that mild label.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Maybe we need something new. That's all I'm prepared to say," Appleton-Young said Thursday.

The shift in language comes as debate over the real estate market is intensifying. The long-awaited drop-off is happening, but there's little agreement about how brutal the landing will be.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said in congressional testimony Thursday that the national housing downturn so far appears orderly.

At about the same time, however, D.R. Horton Inc. Chief Executive Donald Tomnitz was telling analysts that the home builder's sales in June "absolutely fell off the Richter scale." Horton, the nation's largest builder of residential housing, has numerous projects in California.

For real estate optimists, the phrase "soft landing" conveyed the soothing notion that the run-up in values over the last few years would be permanent. It wasn't a bubble, it was a new plateau.

The Realtors association last month lowered its 2006 sales prediction from a 2% slip to a 16.8% drop. That was when Appleton-Young first told the San Diego Union-Tribune that she didn't feel comfortable any longer using "soft landing."

"I'm sorry I ever made that comment," she said Thursday. "When I get my new term, I'll let you know."

If there's one group in California still unreservedly bullish on real estate, it might be the throngs lining up to take the licensing exams.

The state Department of Real Estate recently reported that the total number of agents in the state passed 500,000 in May for the first time. That's one agent for every 55 adults in the state.

Appleton-Young had no qualms about predicting a hard landing here: "We're expecting a fairly significant shakeout."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back