• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top 10 areas at risk for mortgage-rate shock

Bobby Bucks said:
Non bubble markets. 10 Best Cities for Real Estate in 2006. Elliott's favorite area code 818 is not one of them. :)
I was surprised to see Las Vegas on the list

http://www.brokeragentnews.com/news/residential/2006_8/8_12_2006_jl_1155413450.html
Top 10 areas at risk for mortgage-rate shock

By Amy Hoak, MarketWatch
Last Update: 4:50 PM ET Aug 15, 2006

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Communities that will be hit hardest by rising interest rates and their effect on adjustable-rate mortgages are concentrated in the South and Midwest, according to a report released by watchdog group ACORN on Tuesday.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7BD709C441%2DBEB8%2D46E1%2D9ADB%2D02EF8EF635E1%7D&siteid=mktw&dist=nwhreal

The info posted on both of the last two links seems accurate to me. I know for certain that Detroit has some problems, based on info from a friend who lives there. Likewise, Houston would seem to have a supply shortage. The great thing about this thread is all the links to other information.

Bobby Bucks said:
Non bubble markets. 10 Best Cities for Real Estate in 2006. Elliott's favorite area code 818 is not one of them. :)
I was surprised to see Las Vegas on the list

http://www.brokeragentnews.com/news/residential/2006_8/8_12_2006_jl_1155413450.html

Bobby, I think that article is from last year, but I can't find a date on it.
I'll bet I can tell you were that realtor owns real estate, though. :)

Take a look at this site:
http://www.housingtracker.net/

There's a link on the site that goes to their older site, which goes further back in time with their stats for most of the cities they've been tracking.
As you can see, things have changed as far as appreciation and inventory levels just since the beginning of the year in most cities.

Dee Dee, thanks for the site link. Interesting, most cities are showing increasing levels of inventory and flat to slightly negative median sales price changes.

I read an article about the FED where if they see a real fall in the residential home prices, they will reverse course and cut interest rates, big time.

My zip code looks like 7 months of inventory, new listings are 2.5 times the closings in the month of July, median sales price is slightly declining.

Randolph,
The Housing Tracker is a pretty good site for getting a general idea what is going on in broader city markets, but of course there are neighborhoods that are doing better or worse than the averages.
Most telling is the inventory levels from a year ago (found on the older website) when compared to now.
I'll be interested in seeing how some of these cities fare now that peak buying season is over and inventories continue to rise. I think we're going to see price declines in many as sellers reduce prices in order to move on.
We'll see....

Fed Rate-cut Scenario: It's About Growth, Not Inflation

Fed Rate-cut Scenario: It's About Growth, Not Inflation

Monday August 21st, 2006

By Rex Nutting
WASHINGTON (Dow Jones) -- It's growth, not inflation, that will determine when the Federal Reserve begins to cut interest rates, according to two Wall Street economists who have very different views about the timing of that first ease.

Benign inflation data released last week seemed to persuade financial markets that the Fed's next move will be to cut overnight interest rates, probably early next year.

But economists Jan Hatzuis and Ethan Harris say the Fed won't cut rates until growth slows significantly. Inflation will have little to do with the decision.

Hatzius, chief U.S. economist for Goldman Sachs, says the first cut will come sooner than many expect, probably in the first quarter of 2007. Why? Because the Fed always acts quickly once the unemployment rate begins to rise.

"If Fed officials aim to avoid recession, they should ease aggressively as soon as the labor market starts to weaken," Hatzius wrote in his weekly note to clients. Since the mid-1960s, every time the unemployment rate has increased by even one-sixth of a percentage point, the Fed has eased, the Goldman economist said.

And Hatzius thinks the labor market is already beginning to weaken. The Fed's threshold to begin cutting is two or three quarters off, he said.
That's a major reason why Goldman is predicting that the Fed will aggressively cut rates from 5.25% to 4% by the end of 2007.

By contrast, Harris, the chief U.S. economist for Lehman Bros., thinks the Fed will raise rates two more times to 5.75%, then hold rates steady for a year or so before the first quarter-point cut to 5.50%, likely in the fourth quarter of 2007.

Why? Because the economy is not slowing enough to force the Fed to cut rates. And because inflation is still accelerating.
"A rate cut today would probably require that [gross domestic product] growth slip toward 1% and core inflation to show clear signs of turning down," Harris wrote in his weekly note.

To forecast Fed actions, many economists use a version of the Taylor Rule, a formula created by economist John Taylor a decade ago that seemed to explain what the Fed has actually done. In the Taylor Rule, the Fed faces an explicit medium-term tradeoff between growth and inflation.

To reduce inflation, the Fed must push growth below trend for an extended period. If trend growth is 3%, it would take a year of growth less than 1.5% to bring the inflation rate from 2.5% back to 2.0%., according to Taylor Rule calculations by Hatzius.

But the Taylor Rule is a simplistic view of the Fed, Hatzius said. The Fed actually is very sensitive to slower growth. Fed policy is "non-linear," he said.

"The U.S. economy historically has had an extremely difficult time sustaining below-trend growth without falling into recession," Hatzius said. A recession has ensued every time the three-month average of the jobless rate has risen by a third of a percentage point, he said.

Harris likely agrees with that analysis, to a point, he just doesn't think the economy is slowing in a meaningful way. "If growth dips below 2% and the unemployment rate starts to trend higher, the Fed may decide to ignore any further pick-up in core inflation," Harris said.

Ironically, the more the financial markets expect a slowdown, the less likely to is, because the recent rally in the stock and bond markets has undercut the Fed's efforts to slow the economy by providing more stimulus. The only financial drag on the economy is the housing market.
"So it boils down to one simple question: Will the housing correction on its own crush the economy?" Harris says. His view is clear. "We find it hard to accept the more dire housing stories." A soft landing is more likely, with housing slowing -- but not stopping -- economic growth.

Housing is the key to Hatzius's forecast as well. "The termites are eating away at the economy's foundations," he said.

The startling drop in the home builders' index and the 20% decline in building permits in the last year point to a 1% drag on GDP from the residential building sector, he said. Moreoever, the drying up of mortgage equity extraction will cut into consumer spending and subtract another 0.5% to 1% from growth, he said. That would bring 3.5% growth down to 1.5% or 2%. And business investment is also seems to decelerating, he said.

"I find it very hard to see how the economy stays at a trend growth rate," Hatzius said. But Harris says, "We are sticking to our core calls: growth remains steady at 2.5%, core inflation creeps up to 3% and the Fed reluctantly hikes twice more."

If the fed dumps rates after prices begin to fall, then the appraisers will be even bigger scapegoats. By the time this happens, summer of 07 or so, so many people will be hurting, they will be shocked, stunned, and angered that their precious investment has languished with zero value growth and will be forced to A - bring more money to the table, or B- use skippy....its a choice but if you answer B you'll be right the most often.

Decline in new homes not interest rate related

Toll earnings, home sales in focus

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=%7BF037C759-3202-4AA7-9B68-2AC80D92C901%7D

By John Spence, MarketWatch
Last Update: 11:04 AM ET Aug 21, 2006

BOSTON (MarketWatch) -- Toll Brothers Inc., which earlier this month said its quarterly new-home orders slipped nearly 50% on a slumping housing market, may again reduce its 2006 profit forecast when it reports earnings Tuesday. Data on new and existing home sales will also provide more clues on the depth of the slowdown in the housing market.

Chief Executive Robert Toll said the slowdown is unique because it wasn't triggered by interest rates, a weak economy, job losses or other economic factors. Rather, it was precipitated by an inventory overhang and a pullback in buyer confidence as speculative demand has evaporated, he said.

That must be one huge amount of a speculation to cause demand to evaporate!

Speculative demand?
Told ya so, told ya so, told ya so! :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_ukliam2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back