• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And We Thought We Had Heard It All

I just got back from lunch at Hardee's. I had the senior hamburger and drink for $1.48. On the way in I glanced at the newspaper stand and USA Today. Guess what the front page headline is? Ten states are lowering real estate property taxes because of a growing tax revolt over high real estate taxes as a result of inflated housing values. Will this ever end. Now we are getting a tax revolt on top of the housing bubble. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Austin said:
I just got back from lunch at Hardee's. I had the senior hamburger and drink for $1.48. On the way in I glanced at the newspaper stand and USA Today. Guess what the front page headline is? Ten states are lowering real estate property taxes because of a growing tax revolt over high real estate taxes as a result of inflated housing values. Will this ever end. Now we are getting a tax revolt on top of the housing bubble. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Not surprised. The Missouri tax commission has been pushing assessors to increase values for years... their favorite trick, ignoring condition.

Dirty Little Secret - Home Prices Are Really Falling

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/25/business/25home.html?th&emc=th

Home sales are falling rapidly, and the number of houses on the market is surging. Yet each new economic report offering evidence of a housing slowdown also shows that the national median home price has continued to rise over the last year.

To understand how this could be happening, consider a three-bedroom house surrounded by oak and redwood trees, not far from the Golden Gate Bridge, in San Rafael, Calif. Reluctant to cut the price from its current listing of $1.54 million, its owners are instead offering a weeklong vacation time-share, every year for life, worth about $10,000, or an equal amount toward lease of a car.

In California, the Northeast, South Florida and parts of the Southwest, deal sweeteners like these are playing an increasingly important role in supporting home prices. From large national home builders to individual homeowners, many sellers are offering thousands of dollars in perks, including straight cash, so they do not have to slice deeply into asking prices.

But these discounts are almost entirely missing from the statistics on new-home prices reported by the government and on existing-home prices reported by the National Association of Realtors. As a result, home prices may now be falling, despite what the official numbers show, many economists say.

The use of rebates helps home builders and individual sellers by making the real estate market look healthier than it may truly be and by preventing a snowballing decline in home prices. It also keeps commissions for real estate agents higher than they would otherwise be.

In July, the national median price — half sold for more and half for less — of a newly built home was $230,000, the Commerce Department said yesterday. That is 0.3 percent higher than the median price a year ago. The number of new-home sales fell 21.6 percent over the last year, with the sharpest drop occurring in the Northeast.

Mark Zandi, the chief economist of Moody’s Economy.com, estimated that incentives might now be equal to as much as 3 percent of the effective prices of houses across the country, on average. But he and other economists said there was simply no way to know for certain.
“We don’t have any house price indexes that get it right,” said Todd Sinai, an associate professor of real estate at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

Incentives are most common in the new-home market, where builders are under financial pressure to sell empty homes and, as large businesses, have the ability to absorb the financial hit. Depending on the market, executives at the nation’s biggest builders say the giveaways can equal 3 percent to 8 percent of a home’s sale price. If builders instead reduced asking prices by that much, it would be enough to wipe out the year-over-year price gains in many markets. Last year, by contrast, many builders were selling out new subdivisions and condominiums in hours or days, often in auctions.

“If you were going to sell the house exactly the way it was before, you would be looking at a price decline,” said David Seiders, chief economist at the National Association of Home Builders.

Mr. Zandi, the economist, said he believed that the use of perks was now approaching its peak and that sellers would soon be forced to cut list prices more heavily. He predicted that the home-price data released by the Realtors association would show a year-over-year decline, relative to the same month a year earlier, before the end of this year. If so, that would be the first such drop since 1993. The Realtors have never reported a drop in the annual average of national home prices, a fact frequently cited by real estate analysts.

“The reason the Realtors’ data has never showed an outright decline” before, he said, “might be that they’re not measuring the effective price.”

Builders tend to choose discounts because they worry that reductions in the list price would send a clear signal that the market is in trouble, potentially angering previous buyers and emboldening future customers.

“They already sold the same product to the guy next door and if they reduce the price he is going to scream,” Mr. Dew said. He added that many builders were also offering agents bonuses worth tens of thousands of dollars in finders’ fees for bringing in buyers.

In effect, the incentives have become a quiet way to cut the price of houses without further damaging the market. Sellers “don’t want to create this environment of fear in the market that prices are going down, so you should wait to buy,” said Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic Policy Research in Washington, who believes that prices will fall in coming years.

Lenders are also wary of incentives. Lenders do not want to finance transactions where the sales price exceeds the true value of the home. Fannie Mae, the large buyer of mortgages, requires disclosure of perks and it caps them on a sliding scale from 2 percent to 9 percent of selling prices, depending on whether buyers will live in the home and based on the size of the down payment. The concerns of lenders will eventually limit the size of incentives in home sales, said Anthony Hsieh, president of LendingTree.com, the Web loan site. Many buyers may also balk because their property taxes will be based on the sales price listed on the contract.

Eventually, buyers will realize “there is no free lunch,” he said. “There is a reason it’s being given away.”

Wellllll....if we're going to talk about how perks and incentives can skew the market, maybe we'd better take a look at our own government and FHA loans:

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_4228048

Created to extend the dream of homeownership to first-time buyers, the so-called FHA gift program instead has led to rampant foreclosures. Nearly 6,000 FHA loans have wound up in foreclosure in Colorado in the past two years, and during that time the program allowed more than 25 percent of FHA buyers to use gifts as down payments.

Recent studies say HUD itself exacerbated the problem by sanctioning the gift program, which lets home sellers cover a required 3 percent down payment by routing it through a nonprofit organization.

The seller then typically raises his price to recoup the money. An appraiser OKs a slightly inflated house value. Closing costs and FHA insurance premiums get folded into the home loan, and the buyer ends up borrowing more than the house is worth. With no money invested in the house, the buyer has less incentive to try to make things work if the going gets tough.

"If it wasn't FHA, it would be fraud," said John Head, a Denver lawyer who represents victims of mortgage-fraud schemes.

On a house listed for $100,000, for instance, "the buyer in essence gets into a $106,000 house," said Jami McGinnis, a Pinnacle Mortgage underwriter who works on FHA loans in Colorado. "You're giving these people 100 percent financing with no recourse and a mortgage based on an inflated price."

Nationally, from 2000 to 2005, reliance on down-payment gifts from nonprofits jumped from 2 percent to 30 percent of all FHA loans. HUD estimates more than 90 percent of those "nonprofit" gifts actually came from home sellers. During the same period, the national foreclosure rate on FHA loans doubled.
"I really think it was the down-payment assistance programs that got FHA into trouble," McGinnis said.

Real Estate’s Crash Landing

http://www.europac.net/#
August 25, 2006

Real Estate’s Crash Landing

During the unprecedented run up in housing prices over the last decade, most economists and real estate professionals firmly declared that the market would always move higher. When the recent cooling dashed those hopes, many reluctantly fell back to the “soft landing” hypothesis, which predicts that price appreciation will return to historically average rates. However the latest housing data, particularly this week’s figures on new and existing home sales, have made these overly rosy assumptions untenable. The “hard landing” scenario, which envisions real estate prices moving sideways, or actually posting moderate declines, is finally gaining broader credence. But, even this forecast will prove overly optimistic. The real estate market will not land soft or hard, it will crash and burn. Those who did not have the foresight to bail out may be faced with a distinct shortage of parachutes.

The glut of homes on the market, the highest level since 1993, doesn’t even begin to tell the story. Homes were far more affordable back in 1993 than they are today, and there were significantly more renters (who had not yet entered the market) who could potentially buy them. Today, home affordability is at an all time low, and just about anybody who could buy one already has. For those who think the inventory of unsold homes is high now, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Consider these factors. There are a record number of new homes currently under construction. Real estate speculators who bought solely on the anticipation of rising prices will likely try to unload their properties now that the market has turned. With higher short-term interest rates, those who financed with ARMs will also try to sell their homes to get out from under mortgage payments they can no longer afford to make. A record number of Americans who bought second homes, or vacation properties, will likely reassess the wisdom of those purchases, and put these properties back on the market as well. Finally, homeowners who watched the values of their homes rise for years, but were reluctant to sell them for fear of missing out on even bigger gains, will rush to cash in before all that paper profit disappears.

This raises two pertinent questions. First, where will all the buyers come from to absorb this supply and second, at what terms will lenders be willing to finance these purchases? When prices were rising everyone wanted to buy, no one wanted to sell, and lenders were willing to finance just about any transaction. As a result, there was a “shortage” of homes for sale, a surplus of buyers, and prices rose accordingly. As prices begin to decline, few will want to buy, many will want to sell, and gun-shy lenders will be reluctant to finance all but the most secure transaction. As a result, the “shortage” will become a glut, and prices will collapse.

The glut of homes on the market indicates just how overpriced real estate has become. By next year just about every house in America would be for sale if the owners thought they could sell at today’s prices. It is impossible to clear the market at current price levels. The only solution is for prices to plunge. Lower prices will result in fewer homeowners wanting to sell, more potential homebuyers able to buy, and lenders willing to finance the purchases.

I've done lots of FHA loans, but am proud to say that I originated NO stink-en American Nightmare, or other so called charitable gift loans.

Besides not promoting these types of "solutions", I was lucky. LO's have to operate under fair housing rules. If a RE agent comes with a buyer and says they are going to opt for FHA and a charitable gift (essentially laundered money from seller through charitable entity), what can a LO legally say other than "I am here to take your buyer's application.":shrug:

At that point, if their credit looks good, I say to them, thank goodness for the wonderful 80/20 program you qualify for, thereby avoiding FHA up front insurance and monthly MI:)

I want to make one thing perfectly clear: I am not a bubble enabeler:rof:

Today, I have had for the second time, an underwriter come back with a stip that I should provide the foreclosure rate on an appraisal I did two weeks ago. This was a condo down in San Diego! :new_smile-l:

I have now a new boiler plate comment for these request:

UNDERWRITER HAS REQUESTED A COMMENT ON THE FORECLOSURE RATE FOR THE AREA. THIS REQUEST IS BEYOND THE SCOPE OF WORK AS ORDERED FROM THE CLIENT AND OUTLINED IN THE APPRAISAL REPORT (SEE ADEQUACY OF SCOPE STATEMENT ABOVE). IF THE UNDERWRITER IS INTERESTED IN OBTAINING THIS INFORMATION, A SOURCE SUCH AS WWW.FORECLOSURE.COM CAN BE CONSULTED.

Randolph Kinney said:
Today, I have had for the second time, an underwriter come back with a stip that I should provide the foreclosure rate on an appraisal I did two weeks ago. This was a condo down in San Diego! :new_smile-l:

I have now a new boiler plate comment for these request:

UNDERWRITER HAS REQUESTED A COMMENT ON THE FORECLOSURE RATE FOR THE AREA. THIS REQUEST IS BEYOND THE SCOPE OF WORK AS ORDERED FROM THE CLIENT AND OUTLINED IN THE APPRAISAL REPORT (SEE ADEQUACY OF SCOPE STATEMENT ABOVE). IF THE UNDERWRITER IS INTERESTED IN OBTAINING THIS INFORMATION, A SOURCE SUCH AS WWW.FORECLOSURE.COM CAN BE CONSULTED.
Randolph,
It is interesting that underwriters are requesting now for a commnet on the foreclosure rate. Did you make any comment on your report regarding your local market activity indicating sharp slow down, high inventory built up or some sudden negative market trends?

moh malekpour said:
Randolph,
It is interesting that underwriters are requesting now for a commnet on the foreclosure rate. Did you make any comment on your report regarding your local market activity indicating sharp slow down, high inventory built up or some sudden negative market trends?
No, not exactly the phrase, "sharp slow down, high inventory". Underwriters are mainly interested with the complex the subject is in and my sales listing include the subject complex and those that I would consider comparable in complexes outside the subject. I also go back a year for comparables that sold, both in the complex and outside the complex. I show the numbers of both listings and sales, commenting on days on market and market exposure times along with sales prices and GLA. I call this, "market condition", in my addendum. The check boxes on page one serve the purpose for my opinion of a stable market, in balance, etc.

If the sales rate is slowing to a more normal level however, and the listings are higher than normal, is that a sharp slow down?

When is the market out of balance and supply is in excess? I suppose it relates to how many months of inventory the current quantity of listings represents for the current annualized sales rate, maybe the marketing time is greater than 6 months, maybe considering if the prices are declining from the previous year. It looks like 7 months of inventory or there about right now. I suppose when the inventory looks like 12 months or higher, I might consider the market is out of balance with prices declining and therefore supply is in excess.

What sort of a definitions do you use and analysis to determine same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back