• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Builders & Brokers Resort To Buying Homes

To Get You Into a New House, Builders Help Sell the Old One

By Ruth Simon
From The Wall Street Journal Online

http://www.realestatejournal.com/buysell/markettrends/20060919-simon.html?rejpartner=mktw

There is also renewed interest in so-called buyback programs: The builder, or a broker, agrees to buy your current home, for a preset price, if it turns out that you can't sell it.

Builders have already started tapping their usual raft of incentives, ranging from free swimming pools to subsidized closing costs. In some cases, they have even cut prices. The National Association of Realtors recently said it expects home prices to fall during the rest of this year.

Randolph,

I thought I just heard that Aames is being bought out.

Brad

Brad Ellis said:
Randolph,

I thought I just heard that Aames is being bought out.

Brad
Yes, what you have heard is correct. Aames stockholders voted to approve the merger of Aames with Accredited Home Lenders Holding Co., announced on 09/14/2006. Accredited Home Lenders Holding Co. is another sub prime lender. Aames itself will cease to exist. Here is how Accredited Home Lenders stock has responded.

lend

Day's Range:35.15 - 35.88
52wk Range:30.48 - 60.13
P/E (ttm):4.87
EPS (ttm):7.27
Div & Yield:N/A (N/A)

Sub prime loans and sub prime lenders appear to be taking a beating, don't you think? Why is that?

What about that gasoline price decline Brad, you said nothing about it. Did you know how far down in price and how fast the decline is for wholesale gasoline?

Existing-home prices fall for 1st time in 11 years

Existing-home prices fall for 1st time in 11 years

Sales drop 0.5% in August to lowest pace since January 2004

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B32209313%2DC23C%2D4946%2DB9B5%2D5392D6499D24%7D&siteid=

By Rex Nutting, MarketWatch
Last Update: 10:26 AM ET Sep 25, 2006

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The collapsing U.S. housing market crossed another milestone in August, as the median sales price of existing homes fell for the first time in 11 years and for just the sixth time in the past 38 years, the National Association of Realtors said Monday.

The median sales price fell 1.7% year-over-year to $225,000 in August.

Aug 229,000
Sept 225,000
Oct 229,000
Nov 225,000
Dec 222,000
Jan 220,000
Feb 218,000
Mar 218,000
Apr 222,000
May 229,000
Jun 229,000
Jul r 230,000
Aug p 225,000

vs. last year: -1.7%
Single-family-home sales are down 12.3% in the past year, while median prices are off 1.7%. Inventories of single-family homes are up 55.3% in the past year to a 7.3-month supply.

Condominium-unit sales fell 3.5% to 793,000 in August. Condo sales are down 14.5% in the past year, while median prices are down 2.4%. Inventories of condos are up 75.5% in the past year to an 8.6-month supply.

Randolph,

Is there a reason why you chose median vs. mean? Not that there is all that much of a difference, but just for giggles, the mean (average) declined 1.5% vs. the median at 1.7%.

And, I noted that the big price drops are in the Northeast and the South while the midwest went slightly higher and even the West inched up by half a point. The South did not surprise me much with so much over-building in FL and GA, but I'll admit that the Northest is a bit of surprise to me.

And I noted that while inventories went up a bit actual sales rates stayed about even.

All is as it should be - so far.

Brad

Brad, why I use median price? I used what was reported. The news article reports a 1.7% decline in median home price year over year. To be consistent, median would make more sense than average (mean) price for comparison.

Mathematically speaking, however, if the population were normal, or not skewed, the mean and median should be the same.
... the mean (average) declined 1.5% vs. the median at 1.7%.
If the mean is higher than the median, what is that saying? Since the median is the point where half of the data is above and half the data is below, it tells me the average has some data points that are really high in order to bring it up above the median. Which comparison do you prefer, median or mean?

Since the data, when reported, focuses on the U.S. as whole, to be consistent, comparisons are made to the U.S. as a whole. Regional data can be quite different however, when mixed in altogether as a lump you get what you get.
All is as it should be - so far.
I am pleased to see you claim that. I find it some what disturbing that if you plot the year over year monthly median price change, you see a clear picture that the entire U.S. is being affected and the deceleration of price change has flipped some time ago to an increasing acceleration of decline. Please look at the attached graph and give me your thoughts on what you make of it.

Last edited:
Mortgage Investment sector;sub prime submarine

Randolph Kinney said:
Yes, what you have heard is correct. Aames stockholders voted to approve the merger of Aames with Accredited Home Lenders Holding Co., announced on 09/14/2006. Accredited Home Lenders Holding Co. is another sub prime lender. Aames itself will cease to exist. Here is how Accredited Home Lenders stock has responded.

lend

Day's Range:35.15 - 35.88
52wk Range:30.48 - 60.13
P/E (ttm):4.87
EPS (ttm):7.27
Div & Yield:N/A (N/A)

Sub prime loans and sub prime lenders appear to be taking a beating, don't you think? Why is that?

What about that gasoline price decline Brad, you said nothing about it. Did you know how far down in price and how fast the decline is for wholesale gasoline?

======================
Not a stock tip or stock advice, but thats an interesting price chart on ticker symbol, LEND. Some bargain hunters/bottom fishers could buy low here,LEND

However some may prefer to invest privately[precision rifle more than scattergun],
or invest in mortgage investment stocks having ;
larger market cap,
dividend paying stocks,[LEND pays no dividend now]
larger average daily volume....

Randolph,

"the deceleration of price change has flipped some time ago to an increasing acceleration of decline"

Huh? Sounds like Reaganomics to me:rof:

Brad

http://www.rismedia.com/index.php/article/articleview/16067/1/1/

Home Prices Finally Hit Wall

Home sales have been slowing for months
RISMEDIA, September 27, 2006—(MCT)—At a pace that some analysts described as ‘astonishing,’ the price of existing homes declined nationally for the first time in 11 years in August, signaling that the long-awaited other shoe has finally dropped on the real estate market.

Home sales have been slowing for months but sellers appeared to be holding out to get their price. Now the pressure to sell is intensifying, leading to a drop in house values across the country.

In the Chicago region, prices stayed flat for the month, meaning that the average homeowner missed out on appreciation. But analysts see price declines hitting the area soon as anxious sellers give in to the trend and lower their asking prices.

Economists worry about the housing slump's ripple effects. Even as the boom began to wind down last year the housing market probably contributed about $2 trillion to the U.S. economy, according to the National Association of Realtors. One estimate from Goldman Sachs predicts that the slowdown will cut 1.5 percentage points from the nation's economic growth in 2007.

The Realtors' association reported that the median price for existing single-family homes nationwide slipped 1.7% from last August, the first such decline since April 1995. It also was the second-biggest decline in the 38 years the Realtors have gathered sales data.

"It's pretty amazing how fast the reversal has occurred since last year," said David Stiff, chief economist at Fiserv CSW, a property-data analysis firm in Boston.

"There has never been such a quick deceleration in price appreciation," Stiff said. "I was looking at data from 1969 forward, and it's unprecedented."

Illinois home prices, which had declined incrementally in June and July, dropped 1.9% in August, to $210,900 from $214,900, according to the Illinois Association of Realtors.

The nine-county Chicago region avoided price depreciation, and condo prices inched up 3.4%.

But there is no denying that the slowdown is taking a toll. Chicago-area sales in August were down nearly 21% from last year, while condo sales were off 11%.

During the lull the inventory of homes for sale has grown about 40% from last August. Local realty executives say sales will pick up when more sellers cut their asking prices to more realistic levels.

"It's a transitional market, and the sooner we get out and make 1/8price3/8 adjustments, the better," said James Merrion, regional director of Re/Max Northern Illinois in Elgin.

"Too many sellers got greedy," he said. "Prices have to come down."

Not so, said Tommy Gentile, who has been trying to sell his five-bedroom home in west suburban Montgomery for about six months. He has reduced the price by $20,000, to about $380,000, leaving little wiggle room.

"That price is pretty close to rock-bottom, as far as money we've put into it," Gentile said of the house, bought two years ago. "We have to get our money back because we've bought another house, and we're remodeling that one. We have two mortgages."

Few people are coming to take a look, Gentile said. Between competition from home builders offering incentives to close out developments and about 10 neighbors who also have their homes for sale, it's a struggle to attract interest.

Nationally, the Realtors said total sales slipped 12.6% from August 2005.

Though the numbers were slightly better than anticipated, it was still the slowest rate since January 2004.

Ian Shepherdson, chief economist at High Frequency Economics in Valhalla, NewYork, said the national price news probably was worse than reported.

"We estimate that seasonally adjusted single-family home prices have fallen at a 5.9 percent annualized rate in the past three months," Sheperdson said. "The speed of the collapse has been astonishing. This time last year single-family homes were up 16.4 percent, year over year."

David Lereah, chief economist for the National Association of Realtors, predicted that though prices aren't done sliding, "we have reached bottom in terms of sales, or close to it."

"Prices are going to continue to go down for the remaining months of the year," he said.

"For some areas, like south Florida and California, it's going to take a lot longer, but for most areas, starting in 2007, prices will be up just a little," he said.

Others see it taking longer.

"With inventory still rising, there is no chance of any short-term relief," said Shepherdson. "Prices and volumes have a long way to fall yet."

Merrion said price cuts should continue, and then the market will right itself. "Where there's a glut of inventory, you're going to see fairly good-size price reductions of 5 to 10 percent," said Merrion. "But it will be temporary and the market will catch up in a year or a year and a half."

In the data released Monday some parts of the Chicago market saw increases in sales and prices.

Sales of all types of properties in Grundy County, for example, grew by an eye-popping 15%; most other counties' increases, however, were far smaller.

Home sales in Cook, DuPage and Kane counties rose about 1 to 2%.

Bloomberg News contributed to this report

Copyright 2006, Chicago Tribune

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Business News.

RISMedia welcomes your questions and comments. Send your e-mail to: realestatemagazinefeedback@rismedia.com.

Good News - Bad News

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?siteid=mktw&guid={4A9E1C6E-3542-41E0-9537-D116DAC97F8E}&dist=bnb

Good News: New home sales rise 4.1% to 1.05 million pace

Bad News: New Home Median sales price down 1.3%, first yearly decline in three years

The median sales price of a new home fell 1.3% year-on-year to $237,000, the first year-on-year decline since 2003. The reported sales price does not account for the massive incentives builders have been offering to close deals.

Earlier in the week, the National Association of Realtors reported that the median price of an existing home fell year-over-year for the first time in 11 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back