• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skewed views

If the rich are doing so well, how much worse off are the rest of us?

By Thomas Kostigen, MarketWatch
Last Update: 7:07 PM ET May 23, 2006

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (MarketWatch) -- If the rich rule the world or at least the U.S. economy, then why not track their spending to determine inflation?

That is the premise of a private bank's recent commentary, which analyzed sales at Neiman Marcus, the high-end retailer, to glean capital market insight. It's an unusual -- a la "Freakonomics" -- take on traditional inflation measures because it clocks spending by wealthy consumers as opposed to all consumers.

The theory is that recently reported economic data look pretty good, but are skewed because they don't accurately portray general well being. Here's why: The wealthiest consumers in this country account for the majority of spending. Therefore, any falloff by lower income households will be overshadowed. In other words, the economic effects of, say, gasoline prices on the poor and middle class won't be made as apparent by looking at general economic data. Other indicators have to be consulted to get a true portrait of the U.S. economy and where it's headed.

Jack Ablin, chief investment officer at Harris Private Bank in Chicago, notes that "generally, reported economic data looks pretty good. But issues prevail. Over the past few years, several issues have widened the gap between high- and low-income households, with gasoline prices chief among them."

"And pump prices aren't the only factor weighing on the American work force 'divide.' Globalization and immigration are additional wedges. Over the last five years, the average hourly nonfarm wage rate as measured by the Bureau of Labor Statistics is flat when adjusted for inflation. Over the last three years, real wages have actually declined."

To better gauge the discrepancy in the economy and hence the "skew" in economic data, Ablin got creative. "We tracked same-store sales growth of Neiman Marcus, an exclusive department store that caters to the well-heeled, against a similar metric at Family Dollar, a low-entry-point discount store that serves low-income customers."

The results, Ablin says, were stunning: "Neiman Marcus sales growth has consistently outpaced sales growth at Family Dollar since April 2003, the point at which gasoline prices began their multiyear surge."

This means a bigger segment of the population is being forced to go on defense. No wonder tax cuts for the rich remain cornerstones of tax policy and President Bush has to take aim at teenagers instead (for whom taxes will increase). There is no wiggle room left for prosperity; it is fully in the hands of people who can afford a $175 Petunia Picklebottom diaper bag!

High end holding up?

If these indulgers starting hoarding, look out -- troubled economic times are coming. Because of the wage pressure and gas price increase, the work force is "biting its collective nails," as Ablin puts it. Moreover, he says investors are uneasy.

"Bond investors are becoming worried about inflation -- and why not? Energy prices have spiked, the dollar has weakened and we're beginning to hear anecdotal evidence of price increases. The five-year implied inflation rate using inflation indexed Treasuries is now 2.7%. That's mild by historical standards, but is up markedly from the rate of 2.2% registered at the beginning of the year," Ablin says.

"Stocks that had routinely beaten estimates in the past were slammed for simply meeting expectations. Several strong momentum stocks suddenly lost their thrust and plummeted like a cartoon character running off the edge of a cliff. Aetna, for example, having easily outpaced that market over the last 12 months by consistently beating estimates, was pummeled the week of May 1st after meeting expectations."

All told, this adds up to stock-market investors getting edgy.
Federal Reserve Board Chairman Ben Bernanke told the Senate Banking Committee Tuesday that "there are a lot of factors that are entering into the stock market, among them some reduction in the desire to bear risk, some change in the evaluation in the global economy and also some concerns about inflation."

He said there is about a month before the next Federal Open Market Committee meeting, where interest rates are determined. "We will be watching that data very carefully," Bernanke said.

He may want to also begin eyeing Neiman Marcus' famous catalogs, where in years past you could find everything from race cars to race horses. The next issue may just showcase inflation.

Six "Burger King" franchise close down .....

Our Burger King here in Starke closed down .... come to find out it went bankrupt with another 5 stores in the NE Florida area .......

I can not remembetr the last time I saw this happen ... I reckon it does .....

...... we got a new "Sonic" and a "Whataburger" ......... maybe they are the reason ......

....maybe its a burger bubble ..... or burger wars .......

.... best burger in town is still down at our local place called "Powells" dairy freeze ...... I like burgers with burnt edges ... a little crusty .....

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/24/markets/bondcenter/bonds/index.htm

Bonds: Back to Inversion
Weaker than expected durable goods report sends Treasury yields lower, created an inverted yield curve.
May 24, 2006: 9:28 AM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury debt prices extended gains on Wednesday on a surprisingly weak April durable goods report, suggesting softer economic growth than expected.
Benchmark 10-year notes shot up 30/32 to 100- 30/32 in price for a yield of 4.99 percent, versus 5.01 percent just before the report and versus 5.04 percent late on Tuesday, creating an inverted yield curve. An inverted curve occurs when yields on shorter term bonds are higher than those of longer yield Treasuries. In this case the federal fund rate is higher than the yield on the 10-year note.
In the past an inverted curve has signaled a recession, though economists say it's less of a reliable indicator than it once was. Most economists are forecasting slower economic growth in the second half of the year.
The dollar weakened against the euro but held steady against the yen.
The 30-year bond climbed 10/32 to 90-27/32, yielding 5.10, down from 5.12 on Monday. Bond prices and yields move in opposite directions.
The five-year note added two ticks to yield 4.90, while the two-year note edged higher yielding 4.91.
U.S. April durable goods orders dropped 4.8 percent, well below economists' median forecast for a fall of 0.5 percent. Excluding transportation, orders fell 1.1 percent, versus a forecast rise of 0.5 percent. The news sent money pouring into the bond market as investors look for a safe haven for their money in a time of slowing economic growth.

David R. Stevenson said:
Our Burger King here in Starke closed down .... come to find out it went bankrupt with another 5 stores in the NE Florida area .......

...... we got a new "Sonic" and a "Whataburger" ......... maybe they are the reason ......

.... best burger in town is still down at our local place called "Powells" dairy freeze ...... I like burgers with burnt edges ... a little crusty .....

So, are you implying that Skippy Burger did the "designated" Burger Kings in?
They probably gave the buyer whatever they asked for (but you never really know what is in a burger:unsure: ).

I could see local competition clustering to overwhelm a proven model. All that has to happen is to catch the franchisee in an under-capitlaized moment.

Wasn't it Hillary that said to a reporter asking about the effect on small business on one of her schemes (health care?) "I cant be responsible for small businesses tha"t are "under-capitalized". Kind of like someone mugging you saying you should have planned ahead to defend yourself."

Minimum wage was increased.

David R. Stevenson said:

Probably victims of the increase in the Florida minimum wage. People will only pay so much for a burger and you can only operate with so fee employees. The law made it illegal for people to work for less so they are out of a job.
the median price of a new home sold in April dropped by 7.3 percent from the March level to $238,500.
Prices went down so sales went up. Also note that the same reports indicate the inventory of homes available for purchase continued to increase which should mean prices will continue to fall.

Last edited:
From "Florida Trend"

An article I read in Florida Trend written by Mike Vogel says that Broward County (Miami area) could potentially have 6,000 Vegas style slot machines by July 1.

The demographics in Florida have changed enough now for local politics to allow real gambling to begin in Florida.

The character of Miami with gaming should be interesting for all these condo-tels down there ......

Florida may very well become a Vegas State overnight as fiscal budgets burst ..... mad dash for the cash ......

Steve Owen said:
When you look at the last twelve months, sales of 2,442 SFR properties from 5/1/05 to 5/1/06 had an average price of $105,522; from 5/1/04 to 5/1/05 the average sale price was $97,255 on 3,557 sales.

Correction. The new MLS system that we are all just getting used to decided to operate differently than it had been. When I went back and searched the previous twelve months sales, it added in actives so the figure is wrong. The period from 5/1/04 to 5/1/05 actually had 2,313 sales. So, the increase from the previous twelve months to the last twelve months is 5.58 percent, not a negative figure.

I put in the initial figures on the run when I posted. I discovered the error while doing similar research for a current project. There is a lesson to be learned here... I should have questioned those figures more to begin with because I had not noticed that kind of downturn in sales previously. When something doesn't look right, look again.

Anyway, the other figures were on sale prices only, so the price increase and the point of the post still stands. My apologies.

New Home Sales Estimate Not Credible

Bobby Bucks said:
Hold the bubble boys, it's not over yet.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/24/D8HQ88N80.html

Roger it looks like you'll have to change Grog's name to Damien. :)
"U.S. housing data remain of primary concern to the currency market and yesterday's [Wednesday] new-home sales report, while better than expected, is also known to be notoriously inaccurate, subject to vast revisions," said Boris Schlossberg, senior currency strategist at FXCM.

"Therefore, today existing-home sales data may provide a much better picture of true housing demand in U.S," he said, in a note.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?column=Currencies&siteid=mktw&dist=

:fencing: :peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back