• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. policymakers don't 'get' globalization: Fed's Fisher

U.S. policymakers don't 'get' globalization: Fed's Fisher

By Greg Robb
Last Update: 2:28 PM ET May 22, 2006

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Washington policymakers don't understand how globalization has changed the world economy, said Richard Fisher, the president of the Dallas Fed. "Traditional theories and economic models that do not adequately incorporatate globalization are likely to result in policy responses that might be too strong or too weak, too soon or too late," Fisher said on Monday to a business group in Dallas. Globalization has helped tame inflation but it isn't a cure, he added. "There are still some time-tested risks that Federal Reserve officials and other central bankers must fear and manage," Fisher said. Increased global resource utilization can still boost inflation, he said. "We might well be seeing evidence of this as growing demand in emerging economies drives up the prices of oil, copper, zinc and other commodities," he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=2003618

Existing Home Sales Decline

May 25, 2006 — The National Association of Realtors reported that existing home sales fell 2 percent in the month of April to 6.76 million units, pretty much in line with analysts' expectations.
Is this the latest sign of a slowing housing market? In a word, yes. Year over year, sales have dropped 5.7 percent. In April 2005, 7.17 million units were sold.
The NAR said the decline was expected.
"Higher interest rates are slowing home sales, but we see this as another sign of a soft landing for the housing sector, which remains at historically high levels," NAR chief economist David Lereah said in a statement.
While sales were off, prices still increased, although not at the speed we've seen in previous years. The national median sales price for an existing home was $223,000, up 4.2 percent from a year ago when the median price was $214,000.
And as existing home sales declined, inventories continued to rise. As of April, there were 3.38 million homes on the market, an increase of 5.8 percent. That represents a 6 month supply of homes at the current sales pace.
A look at some of the regional numbers:
· Northeast: Monthly home sales fell 0.8 percent in April and were 2.5 percent below the year-ago level. Median prices were up 5.6 cents from a year ago to $283,000.
· West: Monthly sales declined 1.4 percent from March and were down 13 percent from a year ago. Median home prices increased 4.8 percent to $348,000 from a year ago.
· South: Monthly decline of 1.9 percent, down 3.7 percent from a year ago. Median home prices were $180,000, up 3.4 percent from a year ago.
· Midwest: Monthly decline of 3.7 percent, down 3.1 percent year over year. Median home prices dropped 1.2 percent to $166,000.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=2003618

Existing Home Sales Decline

May 25, 2006 —
The NAR said the decline was expected.
"Higher interest rates are slowing home sales, but we see this as another sign of a soft landing for the housing sector, which remains at historically high levels," NAR chief economist David Lereah said in a statement.

Moh the bad news for existing home sales appears to outweigh the temporary good news on the new home front.

I do wish the NAR would get out of the spin business and simply report the facts......they remind me of Paul Begala. :)

Bobby Bucks said:
Moh the bad news for existing home sales appears to outweigh the temporary good news on the new home front.

I do wish the NAR would get out of the spin business and simply report the facts......they remind me of Paul Begala. :)

Bobby, they can run but they can't hide. Lets see what they are going to say next month and month after.They keep saying that decline was expected and this is a sign of solf landing. it is not a soft landing, it is a long landing. It is like chenese torture. drip, drip, drip, drip.

The Big Glut

Trouble in paradice

By ROBIN GOLDWYN BLUMENTHAL

But the vacation home in Naples, Fla., hasn't been drawing much interest from buyers, so the seller recently threw in that most modern of amenities: the $1 million price cut. That's brought the asking price down a full 25%.

While pundits debate when the bubble might burst in the primary-housing market, the air already is whooshing out of parts of the second-homes market. Naples, on the sun-drenched edge of the Gulf of Mexico in Southwest Florida, is perhaps the most striking example.

The Naples experience is being repeated, to one degree or another, in a variety of other vacation hot spots -- from Palm Desert, Calif., to Phoenix, Ariz., to Ocean City, N.J. Phoenix in recent years has been overrun by property flippers from California, says Mike Messenger, president of Russ Lyon Realty in Scottsdale. But unit sales now are down by 40%-42%, and the city's inventory of unsold homes has shot up more than five-fold, to 39,000.

http://online.barrons.com/public/article/SB114868496819064730-bj6PCEh91cHB9ztnP2LoC2XKx8g_20060626.html?mod=mktw

Trouble in Paradise -- Part II

"People don't believe in the laws of supply and demand anymore," says Alan Skrainka, chief market strategist at Edward Jones. "We're not saying it's a bubble, but we're saying prices are overstated and will likely correct 20% to 25% over four or five years."

He rejects a notion advanced by housing bulls that shore communities in Florida and California will be protected because of the limited supply of coastline. "Japanese real estate and land prices went down for 15 years and Japan is an island," Skrainka says.

There's little doubt, however, that the market is starting to run out of buyers.

http://online.barrons.com/public/article/SB114868494641764727.html?

:new_popcornsmiley:

http://online.barrons.com/public/ar..._cXc_20060627.html?mod=9_0002_b_free_features

The Big Glut
Trouble in Paradise
By ROBIN GOLDWYN BLUMENTHAL
A Walk on the Wild Side

IT WOULD SEEM TO HAVE IT ALL: four bedrooms, a guest house, a pool and a rock waterfall. But the vacation home in Naples, Fla., hasn't been drawing much interest from buyers, so the seller recently threw in that most modern of amenities: the $1 million price cut. That's brought the asking price down a full 25%. "If you want to sell, you've got to go back to '04 prices," says Chip Harris of Coldwell Banker Previews International, which is handling the property.

The market for second homes could use a second wind. After a long string of double-digit annual price increases, a number of second-home meccas across the country are suddenly suffering from plunging sales volume and burgeoning inventories of unsold homes. Result: Naples-style discounting is starting to spread. It hit the town of Pocasset, on Massachusetts' Cape COD, just as retired executive Jack Reen was trying to sell his four-acre, six-bedroom beachfront home. He cut the price several times, for a total of 42% off the listing price, before striking a deal at $3.95 million. Reen takes a philosophical view of the experience, noting that the original price was set at the top of the market. "Calling the tops and bottoms is impossible," he says.

Though the official figures on sales prices have yet to reflect the current round of cuts, interviews with real- estate pros and others strongly suggest that the averages are deteriorating in a number of key markets. Just look at green and hilly Litchfield, Conn., about a two-hour drive from New York City. It was a magnet for Wall Streeters during the past five years, and prices climbed accordingly. But in the past 10 months, prices in the lower end of Litchfield's market -- homes of $300,000 to $600,000 -- are down 12%-14%, and volume is falling at the next level up, says Stephen Drezen of the local Portfolio Properties Group.

Crystal Lake lot for RV site in Naples, FL

My step daddy just bought interior non-lake lot for their RV .... asking price was $215,000 - lot is all of 3500 sf or so ....

He negotiated it down to $179,900 ...... and bought it about a week ago .....

He thinks it will be worth about $225,000 next year .....

We played golf today ..... he says I am a pesimist about things...... I tell, no I am a realist .... I tell him he is delusional .....

He has made a lot of money .... but the guy is caught up in this sworling world of "needy hands" for things .......things things things .....

He is real bulish on the future ....... I reckon he and I a just living in two different worlds ..... I never did understand him my whole life ..... and he has never liked my point of view on things .....

..... he has made a lot of money selling real estate courses ...... I hope things stay good for him and I find out some day all along he was right ....

he says I will be walking around with a cane ... old and grey still waiting for the market to crash ..... I tell him ... for his sake and everybody else ... I hope he is right ....... he is a guy who always has "to be right" .....

I reckon I'm a guy who always has to try to "stay out" of the big business of the westernized business man mind ....... all these folks just work work work ..... and spend spend spend ...... I guess thats what turns on ... I reckon ..... next week they will buy something else ....

.... I'm tired ....

Beijing Moves To Pop Bubble

China issues real estate rules to fight speculation

By Chris Oliver & Ilya Garger,
Last Update: 12:01 AM ET May 30, 2006

HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- Policies unveiled by Beijing to curb speculation in the property market won measured praise from economists Tuesday, but might be too timid to deflate the surging real estate bubble.

China's State Council announced Monday that the down payment requirement on large apartments would be raised from 20% to 30%, and transaction taxes would be applied to properties sold within five years of purchase, up from two years currently.

The government is also tightening restrictions on bank loans to property developers in a bid to limit speculation and ease growing social tensions caused by soaring prices. The measures, jointly prepared by nine ministries, will take effect Thursday.

"It's better than I expected it to be," said Morgan Stanley's chief Asia economist, Andy Xie, of the policy announcement. "The government has learned a lot, and they know how important this is for social stability. They see people coming to Beijing to protest, and they've realized how serious this is."

Tai Hui, an economist at Standard Chartered in Hong Kong, said the new policies might be too conservative to be effective.

"This may not prove to be sufficient, but the government isn't willing to jump in the deep end at the start. The way they operate in China is to do it step by step, and try to engineer a soft landing," he said. "These measures leave room for further tightening if need be. If we don't see any significant reaction or slowdown, there's the possibility of a second wave."

Real estate investment in China grew by 20.2% year on year in the first quarter of 2006, according to Singapore-based bank DBS. Meanwhile, property prices in Beijing and the Pearl River Delta rose by more than 10%.

The impact of the new measures on Chinese property stocks was limited on Tuesday morning. In Hong Kong, the Hang Seng property sub-index was down 0.4%, in line with the overall market.

"If there is any setback for Hong Kong developers, it would be minor," said Andrew To, director of research at Tai Fook Securities in Hong Kong. "For the most part, the market has already priced in these new housing policies. But if there are any additional tactics to further discourage property markets, there may be further downside."

The State Council circular said the measures were to "promote the healthy development of the real estate market."

The new measures also include provisions to take back from developers land left idle for two years, and block loans to developers who fall below a 35% capital-adequacy ratio. Local governments will also be held responsible for controlling prices, while developers who manipulate prices or distort information will be liable to prosecution.

"Increasing down payment is good in terms of giving banks a bit more cushion if the speculative bubble bursts," said Xie. He added the moves show Beijing is more willing to tackle the worsening wealth gap. "People are terrified they won't afford a place for their sons to get married. China is just terrified of these prices."

Credit Suisse's chief regional economist Dong Tao said the measures were "psychological shock" that would slow home sales and dampen price escalation for six months. Longer term, he was skeptical they can cool speculative fever.

"The package has failed to touch the fundamental reason behind the property speculation -- excessive liquidity," said Tao.

He added the speculators were motivated to plow yuan into the property market, given that rental yields in major cities were 4% to 6% while bank deposit rates were near zero once inflation and tax levels are stripped out.

"In our view, half of the measures are to provide affordable flats for the low-income group, which should not affect prices but increase construction activities," he said. "The other half are targeted at speculation, which may pause, but is most likely to persist until monetary conditions are normalized."

He said cities such as Beijing may impose additional measures designed to cool prices in coming weeks in an attempt to mimic the slowing of Shanghai's property market in 2005.

Morgan Stanley's Xie said the measures failed to go far enough in tackling the presence of foreign investors.

"The overheating this year has a lot to do with the signaling effect from foreign investors," he said.

According to Standard Charterd's Hui, policies to limit supply might be counterproductive.

"Some of the measures seem a little contradictory," he said. "They're trying to limit number of large luxurious apartments being built, but that could actually fuel speculation."

That's particularly true if the problem of excess liquidity persists. In April, money supply grew at a faster than expected 18.9% year on year.
"There's still the question of where the liquidity is going to go," said Hui. "The money has to go somewhere."
greendot.gif

Are the chickens coming home to roost?

Seems that they might be...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/14669700.htm

The housing market seems to be weakening rapidly. As late as October, the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo housing market index, a measure of builders’ confidence, was still close to the high point it reached last summer. But last week the association announced that the index had fallen to its lowest level since 1995.

This is the kind of article I like to see... an overall view of the economy that considers the housing market's place in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back