• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
David R. Stevenson said:
A sleeping giant of non-end users in the $300,000 and up market in North Florida .....

bunch of buyers with 3 year holding horizons .....

..... now South Florida can't migrate ... with inventories skyrocketing .....

..... daily price reduction starting .....

..... houses being unfinished by builders ......

..... gates with lots ..... but no activity ......

.... no-end users for these big mortgages .......
Ah, but at least Florida has a solution on the horizon.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2006-06-14-nude-resorts_x.htm?csp=28

I don't see such a solution working out as well in areas further north. :rof:

GDP Growth & Housing

Report Attempts To Soothe Housing Bubble Fears

Freddie Mac's monthly Economic Outlook for June was released last week. In what has become a mantra, the corporations Office of the Chief Economist, quoting Federal Reserve Chairman Bernanke's recent remarks, is predicting an "orderly and moderate cooling of the housing sector."

Is The Housing Bubble Fuelling GDP Growth? A small percentage of all homes are sold every year. In the year 2004, about 6.78M houses were sold per NAR. Census Bureau puts the estimate of Housing Units in the country at 122.6M for 2004.
GDPvsHSG2005.PNG

Home Owners Equity vs Mortgage
EQTvsMTG2005.PNG

For Americans, their home was not just a shelter any more. It became a way to create wealth. The Fed also makes insane amount of money available to home buyers. Who keep bidding higher and higher to get into a home, further inflating home values.This is no different than Milton Friedman's infamous "helicopter drop" of money. Except, you just need to apply for a home equity loan. This Giant Bubble has transformed the US into an Economic Power House. The World's Largest and most Robust Economy is nothing but One Gigantic Housing Bubble.

Steve Owen: "Mike, my last two or three posts on this thread have been to indicate that there is little or no indication of decline in my market (yet). No one has attacked me for it. On the other hand, the last couple of links posted have been pretty mundane (with the exception of Randolph's graphs)... it would be nice to see some of that positive information."

I appreciate the invite Steve, however, I haven't the time or inclination. Posting an opposing viewpoint results in nothing more than an endless defense of one's perceptions (it's been years already). They won't change my mind...I won't change theirs...so why bother? What will it achieve? Who will it help? The dreaded bubble will niether burst, or remain intact whether I offer positive market news here or not.

Posting here anymore reminds me of my career as a residential appraiser. I saw appraisers attacking one another, and trying to discredit each other through finger pointing & petty reviews. Once I escaped mortgage appraising, I left all that silly little childish behavior behind. I was no longer judged by self-serving competitors, but simply by the marketplace, and I loved it...life was good!

Now that I've moved on...I find myself in a similar situation here in cyberspace. What's the motivation to stay & play in the sandbox? I just like to pop in every once in awhile to see if those who once (privately) accused me of being involved in a "Ponsi Scheme" (for investing!) are still carrying on about a "Housing Bubble."

We're half way through 2006 and it's time to place our bets. What say you...are we going to have to stomach Housing Bubble 2007? Are we bored yet? :shrug:

-Mike

Housing bubble blogs

According to this site, several housing bubble blogs have not only failed in their predictions of a burst housing bubble, they seem to have met their own burst bubble:

http://matrix.millersamuel.com/?p=676

Mike Simpson said:
What's the motivation to stay & play in the sandbox?

Mike I’m afraid you’ve gone too far on this one. It appears you may have insulted the clique. I’m in the dog house with them anyway and just maybe I can gain some points by turning you in for something. …have you made a profit on anything lately? That constitutes a crime to many in here…..maybe to the “Realtor” police for an Article 2 violation about your positive comments concerning Texas……( avoid exaggeration, misrepresentation, and concealment of pertinent facts.)

Please understand I’m not doing this as a crusader, but as the consummate capitalist. In case you haven’t noticed, there’s a bounty out on you. :-)

Mike Simpson said:
We're half way through 2006 and it's time to place our bets. What say you...are we going to have to stomach Housing Bubble 2007? Are we bored yet? :shrug:

-Mike

From Terrell:

" Sometimes, it begins to come back about the time the election cycle starts getting serious along about Sep 08?"

And don't look now but, rents have increased by the largest margin in 5 years. Oooh that risky investing.

Early data show May swoon didn't persist into June

Early data show May swoon didn't persist into June
Philly Fed, Empire state, jobless claims point to vigorous economy

By Rex Nutting, MarketWatch
Last Update: 2:59 PM ET Jun 15, 2006

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Both the labor market and the factory sector picked up steam in mid-June after swooning in May, data released on Thursday indicate.

The surprising strength in jobless claims, the New York Fed's Empire State index and the Philly Fed index increase the risk that the economy is still barreling along at above-trend speed, economists said.

And that increases the risk that the Federal Reserve will be forced to raise rates more than expected to rein in inflation.

"The data re-open the question of whether growth is slowing significantly," said Sam Coffin, an economist for UBS. "The debate shifts back to whether slowing in housing has spilled into the rest of the economy, and whether the Fed will be forced to push the funds rate beyond the 5.25% peak we forecast for the June meeting."

Or as Wachovia economist Jason Schenker put it more simply:

"Growth is a go; inflation remains the hobgoblin."

After a weak payroll report for May, many economists concluded that the U.S. economy was finally beginning to slow some signs of fatigue. Weak retail sales, slumping housing markets and a decline in industrial output added to the evidence of a slowing economy in May.

A slower economy would fit into the Fed's forecast of a somewhat slower economy in the second-half of the year, which in turn would help restrain inflationary pressures.

But now there are tentative signs that the weakness in May didn't continue into June.

Thursday's data showed that jobless claims have fallen back in the first two weeks of June to 295,000, the lowest level in five months. See full story.

Meanwhile, two forward-looking gauges of factory sentiment showed surprising strength in June.

The only release that was weak was the May report on industrial production, which showed a 0.1% decline in output, led by autos, mining and business equipment. See full story.

Given the strength in the Philly and Empire indexes in June, most economists were willing to dismiss the shortfall in May industrial output as a one-time event, especially given the improvement in jobless claims.

"While today's report is soft, we think it merely reflects a pause in what has been robust activity in the factory sector in recent months," said Stu Hoffman, chief economist for PNC.

"We expect to see a rebound in the June data, supported by solid growth in business capital spending continued steady growth in the global economy, and we still look for healthy growth in the business sector to help offset a slowing pace of consumer spending and housing market activity," said Hoffman.

Use the data carefully

The June data now available is fraught with dangers, not the least of which is the inability of any of the early numbers to accurately forecast growth or hiring. It must be handled with care, but it's the only data we have.

"Looking ahead, we see factory output trending up at about a 4.0% pace in the near to medium term, which is quite healthy," said Josh Shapiro, chief economist for MFR. "This reflects solid domestic final demand, inventory accumulation, and strengthening export demand."

The Philly Fed index fell to 13.1 in June from 14.4 in May, but the details of the report showed activity strengthened. The new orders index improved to 17.7 from 2.7. Shipments rose to 17.7 from 11.7. The employment index rose to 9.8 from 1.1.

Economists were expecting a slightly larger decline, to about 11.8, according to a survey of economists conducted by MarketWatch. See Economic Calendar.

Inflationary pressures were mixed. The prices paid index fell to 48.7 from 55.3, but the prices received index rose to 14.0 from 10.3, indicating slightly elevated pass-through of higher costs.

Philly-region manufacturers were less confident in the near term outlook. The expectations index fell to 6.8 from 22.5.

The Empire state index rose to 29.0 from 12.9, well ahead of expectations of a decline to 12.5. See full story.

In New York, new orders jumped to 25.8 points in June from 16.2 in May.
Inflation indexes strengthened in the Empire index. The prices-paid index rose to 52.9 points in June from 43.1 in May.

In both the Philly Fed and the Empire State, readings over zero indicate growth in the factory sector in the region.
greendot.gif

Rex Nutting is Washington bureau chief of MarketWatch.

All someone would have to do to change my opinion on whether a housing bubble exists is to convince me that tightening of credit, interest rates increases, ARM adjustments, investors pulling their money out, speculators leaving the market for other investments, and very signficantly increasing inventory don't have any effect on the market, given these factors occurred after double-digit increases for at least eight years.

I don't consider myself a bubblehead; it's common sense.

Soft-Landing Signals?

From today's Wall Street Journal:

Soft-Landing Signals?
By TIM ANNETT
The housing market may be gliding smoothly toward more sustainable sales levels, or it may be going down more like the Hindenburg, but whatever the trajectory home builders seem to be feeling a bit queasy.

The latest smoke signal from the homes sector puffed forth after the close of regular trading today, as KB Home sounded what has become an all-too-familiar refrain by noting declining demand for its homes and cutting its earnings outlook for the year. Bruce Karatz, the builder's chairman and chief executive, said in a statement that in "many regions across the country, market performance has receded from the all-time highs established in recent years, largely due to a sharp reduction of speculative purchases and an over supply in new and resale inventory." The building industry's good times, when buyers snapped up properties hoping to make money on the flip, appear to be over.

Builders are facing a raft of headaches, not the least of which is a large imbalance between the number of homes on the market and the number of buyers looking to purchase them. Many builders have also experienced declines in orders and escalating cancellation rates, leading some to pile on sales incentives, which could pinch profit margins if expensive projects move at lower-than-expected prices. Home-construction companies are also facing higher costs for both materials and labor. With all that static in the air, builders have been working hard to ratchet down investors' earnings expectations. Pulte said earlier this month that its earnings were likely to fall short of forecasts, echoing rivals like Toll Brothers and Ryland Group. Analysts have followed suit, carving up forecasts for builder profits, and a full-fledged race to the bottom appears to be underway.

Whether this all adds up to a hoped-for soft landing or a spectacular flameout isn't yet clear, but whatever the case, more tough sledding is likely in store. Analysts at Susquehanna Financial wrote in a note that "we would like to believe that the sudden and sharp fall of the industry sets the stage for a quick fundamental recovery, but realistically, the moderating demand and much higher inventory means that it will likely take as long as 18 months to get to equilibrium throughout the sector." Builders are in the meantime pleading for patience. They're riding through a rough patch, yes, but they believe long-term factors -- such as a limited supply of land and population trends -- will shake out in their favor. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back