• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Ideas on putting together a FHA CE Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I am in the process of putting together a FHA CE class that I can submit to the Appraiser Commission for approval. I am working on my outline. I have a lot of ideas I think are important and need to be discussed in the class. What areas of FHA do you think should be in the class? It will only be a 7 hour class. So, time is limited. This question is for the expierenced FHA appraisers as well as for those appraisers just getting into FHA. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
RSW,

Wow, that is a big undertaking. I don't know anything about getting classes approved for CE but I was wondering, does you state provide you with any sort of guidance on what the contents would have to be?

I'm thinking that once submitted, the class materials would have to be blessed by some FHA experts. Who those experts are would be up to the board. Have you already figured out who would be doing that review?

As far as content in the outline goes, I think it should match the outline of the handbook and announcement letters.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I am in the process of talking with the board and am hoping to get some answers soon.

I know it is a big undertaking. But, I think it is a necessary step to take. There are way to many new appraisers getting into FHA that have not idea as to where to start doing an FHA appraisal.

As far as content in the outline goes, I agree with you. I have been doing a line by line read of the Mortgagee letters, Revised Appendix D and the handbook and taking notes. I have read these over several times in the last few years and it is amazing how much you can pick up if you just read line by line and take notes. Things that we take for granted jumps out at you.

I really don't know of too many appraisers that can truly say they have read all the way through the material. If they did, then they most likely speed read it and missed a lot of information. There are those like Mr. Rex that knows it up, down and sideways.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
RSW,

I've taken FHA classes from both the IFA and AI, I think you'll have a lot of competition.

TC

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
RSW,

I've taken FHA classes from both the IFA and AI, I think you'll have a lot of competition.

TC

May be! I have taken several FHA classes and have found they tend to skim over the information and not really go into much detail about what is involved in an FHA inspection and what and how it should be reported in the appraisal report.

I'm looking for ideas to help, not reasons not to do it.

ZZGAMAZZ

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Just FYI a leading SoCal course provider offers FHA course "with binder" or "without binder" (comprised of downloaded regs) for different fees.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Contact your Homeownership Center and ask them to put together a seminar for you. They will put together (or already have one put together) a seminar to be presented by the appraisal department of that HOC. They have to work the travel and schedule into their budget but there isn't any fee for their appearance. The sponsor of the seminar has to pay the costs of the room, any meals with the meeting room, any charges your board has for having a seminar approved for CE, sending out the notices, registering attendees, and issuing certificates of attendance. The Santa Ana HOC has been very co-operative for years in doing this for both the NAIFA and the AI. I do strongly recommend it to be a seven hour seminar. One just occurred in May in Phoenix that was only set up for four hours, it it wasn't enough time. The last few years sponsored by the NAIFA were seven hours long. I actually prefer the ones that include underwriters--hear about the problems on the other side of the fence that way. NAIFA and Santa Ana HOC have had both, seven hours of appraisal stuff and half day appraisal with half day underwriters. Even if it is all appraisal stuff, advertise it to underwriters too. And if you do this in conjunction with your HOC it will get advertised nationwide by HUD in the "Jerry Mayer" HUD newsletter.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I'm looking for ideas to help, not reasons not to do it.

Point taken.

Do a lot of case studies that coincide with what FHA is looking for. Have a slide show from the time you pull up to property until the time you leave.

Good luck.

TC

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will consider all of them. I am really looking for some content and things that you think would be benificial to the students since there are so many new appraisers getting on the FHA roster. The class I am interested in would be offered more than once and not necessarily through an association or group but rather through a real estate education school.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will consider all of them. I am really looking for some content and things that you think would be benificial to the students since there are so many new appraisers getting on the FHA roster. The class I am interested in would be offered more than once and not necessarily through an association or group but rather through a real estate education school.

RSW,

I put together, along with McKissock in 1999, a 2 day training program and taught it nationwide. Here is what you will need:

1. A copy of the 4150.2 Handbook that you can get free of charge from the Government printing office, as many copies as you want.

2. A copy of the VC sheet. They are no longer required bt are a good check list for an inspection. Inspection of the items, except for flat roof, is still required.

3. Copy of the 2005-34 Mortgagge letter. it is over 140 pages long.

http://www.HUD.gov/offices/adm/hudclips/letters/mortgagee/05-34ml.doc

That will be most of what you need.

Let me know if you need any other ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks