• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Landscaping & trees Replacement cost estimator

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep yep yep...a copper sheet on the ridge under the shingles will stop a lot of it. Copper is toxic to algae.
Zinc also works. They sell a product specifically for this application. Have you ever noticed the roofs below the galvanized vents, etc. No mildew.





Another product you can spray to kill mildew is Spray and Forget. I've used it on several roofs.

 
I cannot disagree with the gist of this. There used to be a tree cutter on TV (late night and probably still on YouTube or some such) who started his show with "Trees are the deadliest vegetation on the planet." He was probably right. Trees crash through houses. As a farmer, I have trees on the fenceline and my neighbor didn't want to cut them. They are a constant nuisance. I thought about injecting them all with Roundup. But I cut a lot of trees for firewood saves about $200-300 a month for heating with electric. I like shade trees, I just want them away from the house. As for gutters, I never saw the point of having gutters to rot the soffits and fill up with trash. My nephew was cleaning his gutters and a snake popped up out of the trash, and he toppled off his ladder and ended up in the hospital with a concession and a nasty gash in his head.... he rented a lift the next time...
I have a ton of lovely pine trees. At least they were lovely when we were considering the property. "It's like camping at home!" we said. So yeah...$13,000 removing dangerous trees last year. All 80+ft. All branch into multi-trunked nightmares. One split this fall and and half fell into the yard thank goodness...coulda hit the house. Tree guy took it down on a Sunday he was so nervous about the remainder. These things are dangerous. 2 monsters left...One is gonna take out my bedroom someday and the other will take out my office/outbuilding. 32 trees removed since moving in. Next time (if there is one) will know better.

Had a rotting 40 footer leaning over the neighbor's playset. Kinda rooted on the property line. Small enough for me to handle so I dropped it this fall and the neighbor came poking around asking about HIS tree. I said take half, as I cut it up. He seemed slightly annoyed. If it had fell on its own onto his playset or, God forbid kids...sure as **** it woulda been MY tree.
 
Last edited:
I have a ton of lovely pine trees. At least they were lovely when we were considering the property. "It's like camping at home!" we said. So yeah...$13,000 removing dangerous trees last year. All 80+ft. All branch into multi-trunked nightmares. One split this fall and and half fell into the yard thank goodness...coulda hit the house. Tree guy took it down on a Sunday he was so nervous about the remainder. These things are dangerous. 2 monsters left...One is gonna take out my bedroom someday and the other will take out my office/outbuilding. 32 trees removed since moving in. Next time (if there is one) will know better.

Had a rotting 40 footer leaning over the neighbor's playset. Kinda rooted on the property line. Small enough for me to handle so I dropped it this fall and the neighbor came poking around asking about HIS tree. I said take half, as I cut it up. He seemed slightly annoyed. If it had fell on its own onto his playset or, God forbid kids...sure as **** it woulda been MY tree.
Don't know about other jurisdictions, but the Montana Supreme Court has ruled that tree roots and branches crossing property boundaries are "trespassing."
 
In north Carolina it is a bit complicated or difficult at times to determine who is responsible.

The law of fallen trees in North Carolina is based largely on the legal theory of negligence. According to principles of negligence, the owner of the property from which the fallen tree originated will be liable only if the owner knew that the tree was hazardous or such hazard was obvious.

 
only if the owner knew that the tree was hazardous
You need to flag any such items in a report, too. I recall one split tree that was obviously going to fall with one falling towards a vacant lot and the other half right into the building. I flagged it. The owner drilled a hole through both sides and inserted a large bolt and washers - Not sure that is the solution I would have taken, but was cheap.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top