• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need some opinions on this....

What we call bi levels have a split entry. !/2 flight down, 1/2 flight up to the primary living area. Have also seen them called split entry 2 stories. But no matter the nomenclature. Some are completely above grade, some have lower level partially below grade. They function the same.

View attachment 90001View attachment 90002

We call those split foyers. Rambler, split foyer, bi-levels are the same layout with the difference being the location of the front door.

What we call bi levels have a split entry. !/2 flight down, 1/2 flight up to the primary living area. Have also seen them called split entry 2 stories. But no matter the nomenclature. Some are completely above grade, some have lower level partially below grade. They function the same.

View attachment 90001View attachment 90002
Yes. But this has one set of steps. It is more a raised rancher style than a split level or split foyer. I am not worried about what to call it. I got that. I am making sure it's not an issue with ANSI to say it is finished and have a cost to cure

It is 100% above grade and finished other than the lack of carpet in family room and bedroom. Tax records also have 2 levels above grade with no basement. It is being considered a contemporary 2 level with no basement

It is an above grade basement.

That's a tough one. Per ANSI, an unfished concrete floor means the room is unfinished, and we're not supposed to count it as part of the GLA living area because it is unfinished. Which would make the sf smaller than it actually s is which throws everything off.

Either explain that, and to make up for the smaller sf, put the "missing" first-floor area on a separate line and adjust for its value there, or report it as sf and explain why you are doing so even though the floor is concrete.
You are correct about ANSI. But I really think that was meant for basements. Would you segregate out a room in a typical ranch because it has only a plywood subfloor which ANSI also considers unfinished

That's a tough one. Per ANSI, an unfished concrete floor means the room is unfinished, and we're not supposed to count it as part of the GLA living area because it is unfinished. Which would make the sf smaller than it actually s is which throws everything off.

Either explain that, and to make up for the smaller sf, put the "missing" first-floor area on a separate line and adjust for its value there, or report it as sf and explain why you are doing so even though the floor is concrete.
Agree. Tough call. I think I will do the latter. I am counting the area, explaining everything with pictures as well. Then it will be an across the board adjustment. The adjustment would be the estimated cost for carpet. The underwriter can then decide. But I am assuming that covers me either way. Fun times lol

Is it bare concrete, or has the concrete been polished and/or colored? Seeing a lot more of that recently. One very unique one was tinted black, then lines about quarter inch deep were scored on 3' squares. Made it look like slate. Very nice.

Above grade then yes. It's included as it is not a basement. Cost to cure for flooring and done!

How would you treat this per ANSI. I have a 2 story property with no basement. It is basically a raised ranch. The first walk in level is family room, bedroom, bath, laundry/utility and built in garage. The second level is kitchen, living, dining, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. The entire first floor has only the concrete flooring except the bathroom and laundry. The area is finished other than the flooring. It appears the carpet was removed at some point. The house is 23 years old with no updates. Do I count this as finished area?

Claude seems correct on this:

"The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) provides guidelines for measuring and defining finished areas in residential properties, primarily used to determine Gross Living Area (GLA). According to ANSI standards, a finished area is typically defined by certain characteristics that contribute to the livability and comfort of the space.

ANSI Guidelines for Finished Areas:​

1. Finished Ceiling: The area must have a finished ceiling, with coverings like drywall, plaster, or ceiling tiles.
  2. Finished Walls: The walls should be finished with materials such as drywall, plaster, or paneling.
  3. Conditioned Space: The area must be heated and cooled by the home's primary HVAC system.
  4. Lighting: Adequate lighting must be provided.
  5. Flooring: The area should have a finished floor surface, which is where the question of concrete floors comes in.

Concrete Floors in Finished Areas:​

• Standard Requirements: ANSI does not explicitly prohibit concrete floors in finished areas as long as the floor is covered and contributes to the overall livability and comfort of the space.
  • Finished Floor Coverings: A concrete floor can be considered part of a finished area if it is properly covered with a finished surface such as carpet, tile, laminate, hardwood, or any other flooring material that enhances comfort and aesthetics.

Conclusion:​

Yes, a finished area by ANSI definition can have a concrete floor, provided the concrete floor is covered with a finished surface. The finished surface must contribute to the overall livability and comfort of the space, aligning with ANSI's guidelines for what constitutes a finished area. Bare concrete floors would typically not be considered finished under ANSI standards, but once covered appropriately, they can meet the criteria for a finished living space."

It is an above grade basement.
Basements are either partially or completely below grade. "Above-grade-basement" is an oxymoron.

The subject is an above grade two-story with some (likely) functional issues due to the floor plan compared to most other two-story homes.

Ever notice how so many of these unusual properties end up as REO?

Claude seems correct on this:

"The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) provides guidelines for measuring and defining finished areas in residential properties, primarily used to determine Gross Living Area (GLA). According to ANSI standards, a finished area is typically defined by certain characteristics that contribute to the livability and comfort of the space.

ANSI Guidelines for Finished Areas:​

1. Finished Ceiling: The area must have a finished ceiling, with coverings like drywall, plaster, or ceiling tiles.
  2. Finished Walls: The walls should be finished with materials such as drywall, plaster, or paneling.
  3. Conditioned Space: The area must be heated and cooled by the home's primary HVAC system.
  4. Lighting: Adequate lighting must be provided.
  5. Flooring: The area should have a finished floor surface, which is where the question of concrete floors comes in.

Concrete Floors in Finished Areas:​

• Standard Requirements: ANSI does not explicitly prohibit concrete floors in finished areas as long as the floor is covered and contributes to the overall livability and comfort of the space.
  • Finished Floor Coverings: A concrete floor can be considered part of a finished area if it is properly covered with a finished surface such as carpet, tile, laminate, hardwood, or any other flooring material that enhances comfort and aesthetics.

Conclusion:​

Yes, a finished area by ANSI definition can have a concrete floor, provided the concrete floor is covered with a finished surface. The finished surface must contribute to the overall livability and comfort of the space, aligning with ANSI's guidelines for what constitutes a finished area. Bare concrete floors would typically not be considered finished under ANSI standards, but once covered appropriately, they can meet the criteria for a finished living space."
Thanks!! That is the information I was looking for.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back