• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need some opinions on this....

Concrete Floors in Finished Areas:​

• Standard Requirements: ANSI does not explicitly prohibit concrete floors in finished areas as long as the floor is covered and contributes to the overall livability and comfort of the space.
  • Finished Floor Coverings: A concrete floor can be considered part of a finished area if it is properly covered with a finished surface such as carpet, tile, laminate, hardwood, or any other flooring material that enhances comfort and aesthetics.
Almost correct. ANSI does consider decorative concrete floors (stamped, stained, epoxy coating, etc.) as an acceptable finished floor

Ever notice how so many of these unusual properties end up as REO?
The homes with the most functional or locational issues are often selling well when inventory is low, and prices are at a high. It's only when prices fall, and inventory suddenly increases that buyers can be picky and then those functional issues come back to bite you in the butt. The worst you know are the first to go REO.

Reactions: DTB
The 1/10er perfectionists are a little shaky today on this one, plain uncovered concrete on grade level. Do I go 1/10er for a headache, or count it as GLA.
You can say subject to the flooring installed and let lender decide. You said the sale is as is, then it is the problem for the buyer to install the floor covering. The buyer is not your friend, ansi is your friend.

I have also seen some bi level, ground level, but part of the 1st level was unfinished, used like a storage space.

You are correct about ANSI. But I really think that was meant for basements. Would you segregate out a room in a typical ranch because it has only a plywood subfloor which ANSI also considers unfinished
Per ANSI, it is not about basements - if a floor is bare concrete or plywood, they do not want that room counted as a finished living area.

Crazy but that was in the cont ed course I took in it.

The 1/10er perfectionists are a little shaky today on this one, plain uncovered concrete on grade level. Do I go 1/10er for a headache, or count it as GLA.
You can say subject to the flooring installed and let lender decide. You said the sale is as is, then it is the problem for the buyer to install the floor covering. The buyer is not your friend, ansi is your friend.

I have also seen some bi level, ground level, but part of the 1st level was unfinished, used like a storage space.
Per the OP Its a short sale, no subject to, the owner is not going to pay for any flooring installed.

Almost correct. ANSI does consider decorative concrete floors (stamped, stained, epoxy coating, etc.) as an acceptable finished floor
Right. But per the OP. this bare, unfinished concrete

Is it bare concrete, or has the concrete been polished and/or colored? Seeing a lot more of that recently. One very unique one was tinted black, then lines about quarter inch deep were scored on 3' squares. Made it look like slate. Very nice.
This what I was thinking. I have appraised many high end homes in Los Angeles where the concrete was the finished flooring. It was smooth and polished and had a great look like the photo below. RCA sums it up nicely in post #18.

1723150735622.png

Per the OP Its a short sale, no subject to, the owner is not going to pay for any flooring installed.
So you are being told what to do by the owner/agreement of sale, as you might say. Is the owner your client.
Ansi is your hill to die on, I might walk down that hill for this one, and do as is, it's still GLA.
Anyway, the buyer can put in the subject to flooring the day before settlement. Oh gee, what a unique thought in a real estate transaction.

When i bought my home FHA , estate sale, i put in the subject to new interior sewer line.

Per ANSI, it is not about basements - if a floor is bare concrete or plywood, they do not want that room counted as a finished living area.

Crazy but that was in the cont ed course I took in it.
So what would you do in the post you responded to. If a room in a typical ranch had bare concrete or plywood subfloor. Would you segregate it out as a separate line item

Grant already answered that in another post. There would be a hole in the drawing where that ansi non GLA room would be ripped out. Then put on another line to adjust for almost GLA.

The lender could escrow for it, with the buyer providing the $ needed. As Grant would say, not our prolem. Do I have you down jgrant, you've impress me.

But, taking out GLA makes such a messy grid and maybe not having matching comps. All this for the 1/10er purists.

Reactions: DTB
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back