• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need some opinions on this....

So what would you do in the post you responded to. If a room in a typical ranch had bare concrete or plywood subfloor. Would you segregate it out as a separate line item
I suppose, reluctantly, I'd have to minus the bare concrete floor room from GLA, explain why (because ANSI considers it an unfihsed area ), and adjust for it on a separate line.

I hope I am never faced with that situation! That is one stupid rule imo.

Grant already answered that in another post. There would be a hole in the drawing where that ansi non GLA room would be ripped out. Then put on another line to adjust for almost GLA.

The lender could escrow for it, with the buyer providing the $ needed. As Grant would say, not our prolem. Do I have you down jgrant, you've impress me.

But, taking out GLA makes such a messy grid and maybe not having matching comps. All this for the 1/10er purists.
Why are you blaming it on 1/10 purists, whoever they are supposed to be?

This is an ANSI rule we all are stuck with. I hate it too!

ANSI doesn't appraise houses. I did
ANSI doesn't buy or sell houses.. I do

If it were my report, it would be GLA with a minimal down adjustment (w/explanation) for LVT or carpet. Simple, clean easy to read and understand report.

Sign it and ship it out.

ANSI doesn't appraise houses. I did
ANSI doesn't buy or sell houses.. I do

If it were my report, it would be GLA with a minimal down adjustment (w/explanation) for LVT or carpet. Simple, clean easy to read and understand report.

Sign it and ship it out.

Suppose it is the common Fannie Mae form 1004. Fannie Mae Selling Guidelines say you must satisfy the ANSI Z765 standard. USPAP says you must conform to GSE requirements.

But DTB is what his peers would do. USPAP allows that.

I suppose, reluctantly, I'd have to minus the bare concrete floor room from GLA, explain why (because ANSI considers it an unfihsed area ), and adjust for it on a separate line.

I hope I am never faced with that situation! That is one stupid rule imo.
I wonder if the GSEs gave any thought to these type situations. Actually makes no sense at all. How does their CU respond. You could end up with appraisals of the same house with different GLA. Doubt that CU picks up the separate additional line items. Since those lines are not standardized.

Don't think so hard. Do what a common sense appraiser would do and get appraised value correct which is more important than worrying about ANSI.

While most GSE regulations are imperfect, some have a purpose. Some do make some sense.

But DTB is what his peers would do. USPAP allows that.
You would be wise to run your mostly nonsense ideas by Claude. [ And anybody with any sense should know what you stated is false. But of coures, you will say you are being sarcastic to make some point or another.]

Now of course Claude is no authority - but it appears to do a very good job of coming up with optimum answers most of the time. But always "scrutinize" them:

NUMBER 1 (PEER S**T):

"The Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) does not state that appraisers can do whatever their peers do. Instead, USPAP establishes ethical and performance standards that appraisers must follow to ensure the credibility and integrity of their work. These standards are designed to protect public trust and ensure that appraisals are conducted in a competent and ethical manner.

Key Points About USPAP:​

1. Ethics Rule:
    • The Ethics Rule in USPAP requires appraisers to perform assignments with impartiality, objectivity, and independence. Appraisers must not perform assignments with bias, and they must not advocate for the cause or interest of any party or issue.
  2. Competency Rule:
    • The Competency Rule requires appraisers to have the knowledge and experience necessary to complete an appraisal assignment competently. If an appraiser lacks the required competency, they must disclose this to the client and take steps to become competent or decline the assignment.
  3. Scope of Work Rule:
    • The Scope of Work Rule requires appraisers to determine and perform the appropriate scope of work necessary to produce credible assignment results. The scope of work must be sufficient to address the intended use of the appraisal and the expectations of parties who are regular users of similar assignments.
  4. Record Keeping Rule:
    • Appraisers must maintain a work file for each appraisal, appraisal review, or appraisal consulting assignment. The work file must include documentation sufficient to support the appraiser's opinions and conclusions.

Peer Behavior and Appraisal Practice:​

While appraisers may consider the actions and methods of their peers when determining appropriate practices, USPAP does not provide blanket permission to follow peer behavior without scrutiny. Appraisers must still ensure that their actions comply with the standards set forth in USPAP.

1. Advisory Opinions and Peer Guidance:
    • Appraisers can refer to advisory opinions, professional organizations, and peer practices as guidance. However, these should be used to enhance understanding and application of USPAP standards rather than as a substitute for adherence to those standards.
  2. Critical Thinking and Judgment:
    • Appraisers must use their professional judgment and critical thinking skills to determine the appropriate methods and practices for each assignment. Simply following what peers do without considering the specific requirements of USPAP and the unique aspects of the assignment could lead to ethical and professional violations.
  3. Best Practices:
    • Best practices within the industry can inform and guide appraisers, but these must align with USPAP standards. Appraisers are responsible for ensuring that their work meets or exceeds these standards, regardless of what peers might do.

Conclusion:​

USPAP emphasizes ethical conduct, competency, and the application of appropriate appraisal methods. While appraisers can consider peer practices, they cannot use them as a justification to bypass USPAP standards. Appraisers must ensure that their work is performed in a manner that complies with USPAP's requirements, maintaining professionalism and credibility in their assignments."

=================================
=================================

NUMBER 2: (Bare Concrete Floors)
"Bare concrete floors in living areas are not inherently dangerous, but there are several considerations that can affect their suitability and comfort for living spaces. Here’s a detailed look at the potential issues and considerations:

Safety and Comfort Considerations:

1. Hardness and Impact:
    • Concrete floors are very hard, which can pose a risk for falls and injuries. They do not provide any cushioning, which can lead to discomfort and potential injuries, especially for children and elderly individuals.
  2. Cold Surface:
    • Concrete is a poor insulator and can be very cold, particularly in cooler climates. Cold floors can be uncomfortable to walk on and may require additional heating solutions to maintain a comfortable living environment.
  3. Slipperiness:
    • When wet, concrete floors can become very slippery, increasing the risk of slips and falls. This is especially a concern in areas prone to moisture, such as bathrooms or kitchens.
  4. Surface Finish:
    • The finish of the concrete can also impact its safety and comfort. Rough or uneven surfaces can cause tripping hazards, while polished concrete can be smoother and more aesthetically pleasing but may still pose the issue of being slippery when wet.

Health Considerations:

1. Dust and Allergens:
    • Bare concrete floors can produce dust, which may contribute to poor indoor air quality and exacerbate allergies or respiratory issues.
  2. Moisture and Mold:
    • Concrete is porous and can absorb moisture, potentially leading to mold growth if not properly sealed. Mold can pose serious health risks, especially for individuals with allergies, asthma, or compromised immune systems.

Mitigation Strategies:

1. Area Rugs and Mats:
    • Using area rugs or mats can provide cushioning and reduce the hardness of concrete floors. They can also add warmth and improve the aesthetic appeal of the space.
  2. Proper Sealing:
    • Sealing concrete floors can help prevent moisture penetration and reduce the risk of mold growth. It can also make the floor easier to clean and maintain.
  3. Heating Solutions:
    • Radiant floor heating systems can be installed to warm concrete floors, making them more comfortable in colder climates.
  4. Non-Slip Treatments:
    • Applying non-slip coatings or using textured finishes can help reduce the risk of slips and falls on concrete floors.
  5. Regular Cleaning:
    • Keeping the floors clean and free of dust and debris can help maintain better indoor air quality and reduce potential health risks.

Conclusion:

While bare concrete floors are not inherently dangerous, they do have certain characteristics that can affect their suitability as a living area surface. By addressing issues related to hardness, coldness, slipperiness, and potential moisture problems, concrete floors can be made more comfortable and safe for living areas. Proper sealing, the use of rugs or mats, non-slip treatments, and heating solutions can mitigate many of these concerns, making concrete floors a viable option for some living spaces."

My commercial tenant when remodeled took out the vinyl floors (had asbestos) and finished the concrete floor. With a shine and looked nice.

It is finished area. Just needs floor covering. Somebody ripped the floor covering up for some reason. Heated? It is included in GLA above grade.

I don't know what lender will require on it.

If it was your house, you would throw some floor covering down on it. You could make adjustment in appraisal for no floor covering.

I know what VA would do. They would want floor covering.

It would be financial advantage to whoever owns the house to put floor covering down.

Last edited:
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back