• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need some opinions on this....

But Fannnie and Freddie have it in their power to tweak ANSI for appraisal use and the bare floor it is not living area needs to be changed IMO. The rest, nothing wrong with it - the point is appraisr need to measure to a same standard, ANSI or something else, so that we are not reporting the same building differently.
A simple tweak to a simple problem. Ansi is not an absolute. But all of a sudden it is.

I measure in ansi, but here no one knows what that is, or why everyone else has a different GLA. Well, when you are using a perfect measuring system and the rest have not, that's their problem.
Measuring is like our c4 condition which can be seen differently by different people, but there is room for some play in that condition.

Ansi is carpet in a world where we may have concrete, now having the need to totally affect the functionality of the house and appraisal with an ansi absolute.
The functionality of the house is more important than carpet on a concrete floor. Heresy. Stop the 1/10 madness.

Last edited:
A simple tweak to a simple problem. Ansi is not an absolute. But all of a sudden it is.

I measure in ansi, but here no one knows what that is, or why everyone else has a different GLA. Well, when you are using a perfect measuring system and the rest have not, that's their problem.
Measuring is like our c4 condition which can be seen differently by different people, but there is room for some play in that condition.

Ansi is carpet in a world where we may have concrete, now having the need to totally affect the functionality of the house and appraisal with an ansi absolute.
The functionality of the house is more important than carpet on a concrete floor. Heresy. Stop the 1/10 madness.
I measure by it just because of GSE.

VA has no problem one way or another. I just do it. I have been doing it so long, it is hard to change.

I focus on things like utility for homeowner.

If I get public trust in my mission, I have accomplished my mission.

GSE is not my client. Write that down.

Many players in field today that are not my client. I always focus on public trust.

Knowing the borrower will get copy of my appraisal changes the landscape of current appraisal methodology.

It holds me more accountable which is good for public trust.

I am not only player in field held more accountable to public trust.

Write that down.

Last edited:
they need measuring instructions...:rof::rof: :rof:

ANSI makes the most sense and is, overall, how most builders break out, and it is close to how assessors break it out in my area.
really? Broward County sketch?? Where is the tenth of a foot measure?
1723442388513.png

Note the architect may use inches and fractions of inches, far more detail far more than a tenth or inch and may or may not include the exterior siding - rather to the outside of the sheathing. They won't count vinyl siding but likely may count brick siding.

1723442849986.png

Attachments

• 1723442785577.png
    1723442785577.png
    18 KB · Views: 0
How would you treat this per ANSI. I have a 2 story property with no basement. It is basically a raised ranch. The first walk in level is family room, bedroom, bath, laundry/utility and built in garage. The second level is kitchen, living, dining, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. The entire first floor has only the concrete flooring except the bathroom and laundry. The area is finished other than the flooring. It appears the carpet was removed at some point. The house is 23 years old with no updates. Do I count this as finished area?
I have told you if it is heated, it is above grade finished area.

No floor covering has an impact on market value as defined.

My client would want floor covering on unfinished concrete (probably has some nicks and cracks in the unfinished concrete)

Me too.

It would no brainer for me with like FHA or VA involved.

If it was conventional or homeowner was my client, I would say put some kind of floor covering on it for market value appraisal.

"subject to"

If you want to get down and dirty and me to "as is" market value opinion? I can do that.

My client has certain requirements.

I have told you if it is heated, it is above grade finished area.

No floor covering has an impact on market value as defined.
The question was, would you count it as GLA with ansi.
You have voted yes GLA, against the 1/10ers i can assume. Good.

If the sale price was $400,000, how much impact would that have on the value. The sale was subject to. So, can we assume the carpetless rooms were already taken into account. Then, your adjusting for that no carpets has no affect on the sale price which has already taken that into account.

The issue here is the bastardization of the sketch and saying those rooms are not living area as per the 1/10ers bible.

This is like the old USPAP discusion days where every typo was labelled as misleading the reader of your report.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back