• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need some opinions on this....

.......it does not provide GLA....only ILA and creates a non-market acceptable practice.
I love that thought, will stamp it on my sketch. That should be the end of this thread, while we goose step away from it.

ANSI - appraisers measure exactly one thing by ANSI - the subject (for FNMA) yet we have to ADJUST based upon the comps being measured by A- the assessor who use no such standard, or B- the MLS which usually either adds all the living areas together regardless of whether or not they are below or above grade, and likely measure by the floor size, not at any 5' height or 4' height or any other standard.

So, beat on the door of the comps and ask them if you can measure their house in and out, and see if you live to see another day. And if you cannot measure the comps by ANSI, WTF do we thing ANSI makes anything more "accurate"?

Please Terrel, we can mix apples with oranges and call it a pineapple because the idiot savants in charge have now given us that super power. So bite the ansi sandwich and enjoy it, no matter how it was made.

I'm more than ready to stop seeing ANSI questions from appraisers. It's been a minute since FNMA mandated it. The rules and requirements are available to anyone either by buying the ANSI Z765-2021 standard or by taking one of the several ANSI CE courses that are offered.

the same old pitch line...buy the book, take the class snake oil salesman :ROFLMAO:

Like all black and white rules, they have no way to 'fix' shades of gray.

It is clear to me the people writing the rules, just don't know enough to write good rules. Even if they knew enough, the wouldn't be smart enough to put it all together and communicate through understandable protocols. It is really hopeless with the available leadership material.

But, the world survives. Right?

the market decides what is GLA and what isn't...not ansi

the market decides what is GLA and what isn't...not ansi
No, appraisers do. And "the market" gets to live with our decision. Or pay cash.

Issue of no floor covering occurs when we appraise.
Fannie should address this matter than letting appraiser and lender decide. Fannie gets final say.
It doesn't help when Fernando does what he thinks is best.

Issue of no floor covering occurs when we appraise.
Fannie should address this matter than letting appraiser and lender decide. Fannie gets final say.
It doesn't help when Fernando does what he thinks is best.
Agree. ANSI makes the most sense and is, overall, how most builders break out, and it is close to how assessors break it out in my area. RE agents of course, exaggerate, lie and don't measure so using thei rMLS sf was always worthless ( without verifying it or looking up the real sf on floor plans, overhead maps to measure the outline of a building etc )

But Fannnie and Freddie have it in their power to tweak ANSI for appraisal use and the bare floor it is not living area needs to be changed IMO. The rest, nothing wrong with it - the point is appraisr need to measure to a same standard, ANSI or something else, so that we are not reporting the same building differently.

the same old pitch line...buy the book, take the class snake oil salesman :ROFLMAO:
ANSI is now the rule if you do GSE appraisals. If you are a professional appraiser, or aspire to be one, you need to understand ANSI. I don't care how you come to do that... I'm just tired of seeing complaints about it. It is what it is. Appraisers aren't going to make it go away.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back