• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Public Sewer Connection: Feasibility

BTW, there's quite a few homes in this area that have a sewer line running in front of their home but are not able/allowed to connect. Some of these lines are pressurized lines that run from a lift station to gravity line/manhole down the road, sometimes as far as a mile away. Just because there's a sewer line at the road doesn't automatically mean its 'available'. Our GIS shows sewer lines but you have to call the dept of public works to find out if its 'available' to the site.

Many municipalites have server and water maps as to where those services are currently available. Also, you can look up the availability of public (sometimes private) sewer and water, natural gas, garbage and power company. If a county webpage does not have that info, the service provider will. So you just need to find out if any of those services are available and report that. For instance, Sewer and water pipe are within X feet of the subject property. Or there are no services readily accessible to the subject property. What no water/sewer/garable/whatever company? Report that. Can't be feasible if not available. The only exception to this is if the connection to public sewer and water is required on deed transfer. Then feasibly is moot.
Correct! That is exactly what I do!

That investor that owned the home he was selling was in unincorporated area when it was built. The City of Bartlett had incorporated it a long time before my appraisal. City of Bartlett has some of the strictest rules relative to building code.

When I told him what the city had told me, he got upset and said what will that cost me? I said Sir, I don't know. That is not my area of expertise. I am sure City of Bartlett knows many contractors you could contact or you can search for some licensed and bonded contractors by yourself.

They will have to pull a permit with the City of Bartlett before you can sell this house Sir. You will have to connect to public sewer.

Of course he was not my client. I didn't discuss anything else with him.

Last edited:
No where did it say the appraiser has to determine if it is feasible. Also, your sources are dated and have been replaced with the 4000.1 handbook.
The requirement is now to report "The Appraiser must report on the availability of public sewer to the site." Its a little different for MH

The requirement is now to report "The Appraiser must report on the availability of public sewer to the site." Its a little different for MH
I completely agree which is what I said in a prior post.

pressurized lines that run from a lift station to gravity line/manhole down the road
I had to explain to a client-owner that he would have to pave under a road and build a pump station to get to the sewer a quarter mile away. The pump station on his side was a dedicated station paid for by federal funds to serve an elementary school. It could not be hooked onto for 25 years. Same with their water tap.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back