• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

TAF Partnered With REVAA

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Surprise! By a UNAMINOUS vote of TAF's board today, REVAA is now a "partner" of TAF.

It would have been nice to open this up for a comment period, but who cares what the peasants think?

Does anyone still believe independent appraisers have a seat at any table in this industry?

Last edited:

REVAA 2024 Board of Directors​

• Eric Evans, ServiceLink (President)

• Jeff Dickstein, Stewart Valuation Intelligence (Treasurer)

• Mark Schiffman, REVAA (Secretary)

• Dean Kelker, SingleSource

• Duane Andrews, Clear Capital

For your reading pleasure, linked below is REVAA's response to the CFPB's request for information regarding junk fees in mortgage origination costs.

Appraisers who accept assignments from REVAA members should remind them of this statement by REVAA: "The work of lenders and AMCs must be in compliance with federal and state banking regulations, consumer protections, Fair Housing and anti-discrimination law, and specific regulatory mandates such as the payment of Customary and Reasonable (C&R) fees to appraisers......"

Attachments

Last edited:
For your reading pleasure, linked below is REVAA's response to the CFPB's request for information regarding junk fees in mortgage origination costs.

Appraisers who accept assignments from REVAA members should remind them of this statement by REVAA: "The work of lenders and AMCs must be in compliance with federal and state banking regulations, consumer protections, Fair Housing and anti-discrimination law, and specific regulatory mandates such as the payment of Customary and Reasonable (C&R) fees to appraisers......"
Or just don't accept assignments from REVAA members.

Surprise! By a UNAMINOUS vote of TAF's board today, REVAA is now a "partner" of TAF.

It would have been nice to open this up for a comment period, but who cares what the peasants think?

Does anyone still believe independent appraisers have a seat at any table in this industry?

AMCs: If you are good enough, it is best to avoid not only AMCs, but Desktops, Hybrids and the like - for residential.

GSEs: Fannie May/Freddie Mac appraisals can still be good paying. In fact you can occasionally get a few high-paying aprpaisal orders through some AMCs. But the AMCs and GSEs more or less distribute your appraisals far and wide. That is to say: The world is full of copiers. Organizations with 100x times more money than you can always copy whatever they want from you. And they will. If you think you can sue them, you can, but they will probably win through better attorneys. Your only current defense is that most of these organizations can't do much with technology that is too advanced for 95%+ of appraisers to use.

Designations have questionable utility, at least without a corresponding skillset that includes R or Python, MARS and a host of other statistical packages.

I see room for new appraisal organizations and new designations more in tune with the modern world. But that to happen, will take time.

Notwithstanding that, the Appraisal Institute and other appraisal organizations still have many worthwhile courses and conferences. You will just have to pay more if you are not a member. You have to figure out what is more economical. If you have a designation, in a sense you might as well keep it. But they are really expensive to obtain. And I am pretty sure they will be worth less and less, in comparison to other more important skill sets. You really should have both. But that is a frigging steep slope and high mountain to climb. And the one argument against the idea is that you can probably do better as a non-appraiser programmer and analyst than as an appraiser type. That may change with time. Hard to say.

None of the appraisal organizations can compete with the universities or existing online classes when it comes to math, statistics, GIS or analysis courses. - There will eventually be some good advanced statistics for appraisal classes - somewhere way down the road.

BUT, I think those who acquire the advanced skills may just keep them to themselves, to make themselves more competitive in getting good appraisal assignments. Especially, if they don't think they can get high caliber qualified students, - good at analysis and math. In my opinion, appraisers who can handle MARS, R, QGIS, UML and a number of other CRAN packages, will be few and far between for the next 5-10 years. And the number of clients who need more than a rubber stamp, will be just as limited. And somebody with the right skillset could probably do much better in some other field.

So, I predict that appraisers will see a number of shoddy simpleton R courses and the like in the comming years. There are plenty of AI scams coming down the road - especially for appraisers who don't even know what the "components" of AI are.

But the real thing, a good combination of high competence in real esate, appraisal, data mining, R, GIS and AI skills - that will be lacking - until there is some real incentive to make a living with such skills. Right now, there isn't. There may never be for the foreseeable future.

Who really wants the accurate value of anything anyway, when the world doesn't believe such a things really has that much meaning? Value depends so much on fate, luck, acts of God and so on. Well - there are some exceptions.

I hope CFPB jumps in with both feet. If Chopra does, nobody will balk Chopra.

All Chopra needs to do is request all truth in lending disclosures and follow the money trails.

Chopra will say how do you explain this $1,200 appraisal fee and appraiser got paid $200?

How much money do you (TAF and REVAA) have in your kitty? I am about to drain your kitty.

The term "money kitty" refers to123:
  • A communal pot where contributions from several people accumulate towards a final sum.
  • An amount of money made up of small amounts given by different people for an agreed purpose.
  • A share from everyone in a group, used for a special purpose.

Last edited:
Yesterday’s conspiracies are today’s headlines.

Unanimous :rof:

I despise cowards. I wish you all could see what state boards do when Revaa flies their reps in to threaten them Should they do anything that might level the playing field or god forbid benefit the self employed appraiser in any way. They cower in fear.

Last edited:
It is sad when the very entities you fund do not represent independent fee appraisers.

CFPB may be our only shot.

CFPB has authority over any entity you can think of in lending world.

That is why Chopra always spoke last in appraisal bias hearings.

Think of all the panel members from every regulatory agency you can think of. Think of the witnesses.

CFPB has authority over them all.

Notice VA did not appear and was not required to. Know why? They needed no bailout.

Think of every other panelist and witnesses in racial bias hearings.

All the major regulators were on the racial bias panel asking questions. CFPB always spoke last.

Last edited:
It would be nice if you were right, and the CFPB is a little different organization than what you typically see at the national level. But I’ll believe it when I see it. Generally, the higher up you go the more corrupt things are. it’s hard to convince me that any fed government organization will do anything on behalf of anyone besides large corporations.

It’s nice to hear some common sense from Chopra in these hearings, but we’ve been fed lip service before. Money always does the talking.

Something has to give.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back