• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

This Is A Question About Dog/dogs At An Appraisal Appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been bit too many times. Put Cujo up or I'm leaving.

Attn: Homeowner / property access contact

My job is to inspect the property. We open doors, windows, flush toilets ...., we measure the home, buildings. We snoop around. Our activity will appear threatening to dogs, small children and nosy neighbors.

If you want me to do my job, do yours and protect them from me.

I would NEVER enter someone's home unless an adult of their choosing was present.

I don't have a problem with dogs that are not aggressive. I've been nipped once (by a yappy Yorkie), and kept in the car once by a Rottweiler and a German Shepherd (the lady wouldn't put those dogs up - I drove off). I was attacked by a cat once - it left its post on the back of the sofa and launched itself onto my thigh. But I wouldn't go on a property with no adult human home and unrestrained dogs around.

I pulled up to a house one day with the window of my SUV down. I looked over to my passengers seat to grab my file and turned around to a Great Dane peering "down" into my car. Largest dog I've ever seen. It was funny, later. That was one cool dog.

I've only ever been bitten by the little dogs. Always from behind, always right in front of the owner, and always with little/no warning. I like dogs a lot, which is all the more reason to respect their space.

I think the dogs just freak out because we measure the property, they get territorial.

Absolutely >> "not made an appointment at all till somebody could be there"

Absolutely >> "Would you ask for a trip fee at this point"

Apparently aggressive dogs add to the already increased Liability of "inspecting" a property absent Owner or confirmed Owner's representative.

p.s. I'm a "dawg" guy.

Personally for me, unless the property is vacant, I prefer/insist someone meet me at the home to let me in (irregardless if there are dogs or no dogs); this is really just a safety factor for both myself & the homeowner.

Now if I was in your situation with the dogs, I would have done the same as you and would request a trip fee. Our safety is first priority and its not worth the risk of getting bit by a dog. I have been bit a couple of times (all by little dogs) so I tend to be a bit more concerned with the little dogs over the big dogs but that is just me.

Ask them if you can bring your dog to the appointment. Tell them he doesn't bite folks for the most part, but he will fight other dogs that act aggressively towards his owner.:whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back