• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

This Is A Question About Dog/dogs At An Appraisal Appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have noted dogs are territorial even the most docile dog can become upset when a stranger enters their home.
In addition appraisers go to places (bedrooms, baths, etc) where guests normally do not go. I will not inspect a house with a dog present
unless the dog is confined to a room. Even then moving the dog from the room it was confined in so that I can inspect it can be dangerous.

Only one small dog has nipped my back leg, who the owner said had never bitten anyone. Must have been the clipboard that took him over the edge.

The last two dog bites I've received were both from the same dog. "Princess" was an unusually large cross between a beagle and Satan. Went for my arm, then my stomach, all while the owner was holding her. Had a belly bruise for a week. The previous dog bites were from cocker spaniels. I hate cocker spaniels.

I've also been bitten in the *** by a goose. But I'm saving that story for the "Question About Geese at the Appraisal Appointment" thread.

Only one small dog has nipped my back leg, who the owner said had never bitten anyone. Must have been the clipboard that took him over the edge.
I have been bitten by three dogs; two in the back of the leg & one in the shin but all three were by chihuahua's (nasty little dogs) & each of the owners have told me the same thing...must have been my clipboard too lol.

No way, I wouldn't go in, I've been bitten. If dogs are in the house the owner/ contact person has to be there.

Nipped at a time or 2. Those dang little barky dogs, of course. :rolleyes:

Jake, We're just getting old....
slide0467_image028.gif

Dogs behave differently when their masters aren't around. If it were me in the circumstance you describe, I would not request a trip fee, as I knew the dogs were home alone, but went anyway. My bad.

Much agreed. All appraisers should make a "Standard" part of their appointment scheduling a communication that pets must be kenneled or contained during the time the appraiser is there.

We went to a property appointment today. When I set up the appointment I was told that there were dogs at the property but all they would/might do is bark and I knew that the property was still occupied but the home owner would not be there when I went to the property. To make a long story short, the dogs acted like they might bite!-definitely might bite!! We left not long after we got into the property and were happy to get outside without being hurt. I called the scheduling contact (who said the home owner insisted that it would be o. k. and etc.) and I asked the contact person if somebody could come meet us at the property like an owner or the listing realtor or anybody and they could not so I scheduled for the another day when a home owner could be there to keep the dogs away during the property appointment. How would you or should I have handled this situation? For example, would you have not made an appointment at all till somebody could be there or have the dogs put up? Would you ask for a trip fee at this point or not even tell your client about the situation or? Thanks for advise!
Pleas tell you client not that they care, but we put ourselves in danger all the time, electric fencing and pets. I was attacked by a two dogs, rabies shot and medical expenses were over 3K for series of shots and missed 8 days of work, not the property owns dogs but neighbor dogs not fenced in. shared driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back