• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What has she done...

It’s an interesting question. At what point do you lose geographic competency in an area where you used to live?

I would say probably in the six months to one year range. Probably depends on the area of the country you live in. If they’re doing a lot of building and developing, then it could be quicker. Regardless, I don’t think you should be signing off on appraisals in areas you don’t reside.

If you want to move to Florida and work, then go get a Florida license and work there.

Having multiple licenses in multiple states under the guise that you might do a desktop appraisal here and there only opens the door to mass fraud. As you posted about today.
 
I honestly don’t know what a desktop appraisal is. I remember from 25 years ago. Bank of America had a proprietary one page desktop form. I did 1 or 2 of those. Today they call full interior appraisals desktops for some reason. Hard to keep track with all the changes.
 
It’s an interesting question. At what point do you lose geographic competency in an area where you used to live?

I would say probably in the six months to one year range. Probably depends on the area of the country you live in. If they’re doing a lot of building and developing, then it could be quicker. Regardless, I don’t think you should be signing off on appraisals in areas you don’t reside.

If you want to move to Florida and work, then go get a Florida license and work there.

Having multiple licenses in multiple states under the guise that you might do a desktop appraisal here and there only opens the door to mass fraud. As you posted about today.
I think he was using a example of when one might need a license in another State and your taking his comment out of context. Get focused on the big issues in life.
 
It’s an interesting question. At what point do you lose geographic competency in an area where you used to live?

I would say probably in the six months to one year range. Probably depends on the area of the country you live in. If they’re doing a lot of building and developing, then it could be quicker. Regardless, I don’t think you should be signing off on appraisals in areas you don’t reside.

If you want to move to Florida and work, then go get a Florida license and work there.

Having multiple licenses in multiple states under the guise that you might do a desktop appraisal here and there only opens the door to mass fraud. As you posted about today.
The more useful question to ask it what does it take to develop "geographic" competency? Everyone here has - on many occasions - taken assignments in neighborhoods they had never previously worked in. Run into appraisal problems for which they have no prior experience or exposure. So how do appraisers usually bridge that gap?

I am capable of appraising a home in my neighborhood, but I would need to reinvent that wheel from scratch to do it because I have never appraised one of these homes in my neighborhood before. I am currently re-appraising an industrial that I previously appraised 15 years ago. I have to reinvent that wheel from scratch because I'm not current in that neighborhood even though I have done assignments there in the past. Just being here doesn't make me any more or less "geographically competent " than anywhere else I work. I always have to do the analysis and can never operate off assumptions based on what I've seen there in the past. The exception being if I'm operating in a situation that is a recent repeat.

The protocols that were developed when we were working out of books and interviewing brokers to learn of listings we couldn't find anywhere else - I daresay those protocols have been largely rendered obsolete in many areas even though that level of data accessibility it hasn't yet spread everywhere just yet. I'm still not sure how the appraisers who work in non-disclosure states do it.
 
Until you address the issue, you’ll continue to have appraisers signing off on appraisals in multiple states on the same day and saying they inspected them.

I think there’s a lot more fraud that goes on with multiple state licenses than there is legitimate activity.
 
The more useful question to ask it what does it take to develop "geographic" competency? Everyone here has - on many occasions - taken assignments in neighborhoods they had never previously worked in. Run into appraisal problems for which they have no prior experience or exposure. So how do appraisers usually bridge that gap?

I am capable of appraising a home in my neighborhood, but I would need to reinvent that wheel from scratch to do it because I have never appraised one of these homes in my neighborhood before. I am currently re-appraising an industrial that I previously appraised 15 years ago. I have to reinvent that wheel from scratch because I'm not current in that neighborhood even though I have done assignments there in the past. Just being here doesn't make me any more or less "geographically competent " than anywhere else I work. I always have to do the analysis and can never operate off assumptions based on what I've seen there in the past. The exception being if I'm operating in a situation that is a recent repeat.

The protocols that were developed when we were working out of books and interviewing brokers to learn of listings we couldn't find anywhere else - I daresay those protocols have been largely rendered obsolete in many areas even though that level of data accessibility it hasn't yet spread everywhere just yet. I'm still not sure how the appraisers who work in non-disclosure states do it.
The issue with you.....you are honest and ethical. You will take the time to be ome competent.

Fannie does not allow that, unlike USPAP.

So what does a good portion of appraisers do...fake it. If it's a purchase hit the number and more than likely no one will ever know they faked it. Refi...put it high.

Want proof that they faked it? Review 10 of their reports...they will have the same neighborhood description....

The issue is that they cannot be trusted to take the time to become competent.

Either way, if I needed an appraisal done for myself I would not hire a out of the area appraiser...
 
It’s an interesting question. At what point do you lose geographic competency in an area where you used to live?

I would say probably in the six months to one year range. Probably depends on the area of the country you live in. If they’re doing a lot of building and developing, then it could be quicker. Regardless, I don’t think you should be signing off on appraisals in areas you don’t reside.

If you want to move to Florida and work, then go get a Florida license and work there.

Having multiple licenses in multiple states under the guise that you might do a desktop appraisal here and there only opens the door to mass fraud. As you posted about today.
Yeah, like on commercial I can get temporary license and float in and associate with locals and I know what i need before I get there and have it all set up.

A temporary license don't take that long on commercial. Maybe a week. It doesnt take long enough to change the course of business. I can do my business on commercial within a week and head back home. It will probably take me another week to complete the assignment and submit to client.

States just want to know what your appraising and when for temporary license.
 
rockefeller built east cleveland...it was a sight to see but that ship has sailed...it is a borderline war zone but trump is too much concerned with iraq because america first you will learn :rof:
 
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top