• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Bidumbnomics

Loose money, scams, blowing up markets and now banks do not know what to do with US Treasuries.

Not sure why a local realtor is sending me this, but some food for thought and dispute by farmer boys-

insights.png

but some food for thought and dispute by farmer boys-
Indeed only marginally trickles down to the farmer. I mean the investment inputs farmers have are huge. The integrators and buyers hold a knife to the throat. There are few processing plants for cattle - 4 or so. Only 1 processes mutton. Tyson's and a few other companies control a big bite out of the meat market. Same with cereals- again a few large companies. And concentration is possible because government rules make it uneconomic not to operate at huge scale.

In my lifetime I have seen huge numbers of small hatcheries, small processors buying direct from farmers. My grandfather got 30¢ lb. for chickens in the early 50s. He had to buy feed and water but they required almost no energy. And the litter was spread on the farms to grow grass. Today, environmentalist have limited the sale of litter except to be trucked into Kansas and Oklahoma and applied to crops there. "Too much phosphorus in the waters" - never mind the chicken companies do that to build strong bones in chickens. And there is very little competition. The contracts look much the same. And the integrators do pay for the feed, but not energy. Some growers in cold weather get "red" checks - they actually do not make enough to buy the propane for the farm (and guess who owns the propane companies too.) Some growers now are putting in solar panels which helps....in summer. From an open barn with little energy use, we've seen a conversion of these barns into climate controlled (both temperature and humidity) monster farms. And economy of scale is the only way to survive. A cloudy winter day, not so much. A mere 16,000 SF barn no longer cuts it. Too small for anything but free range organic operations and we just had one of them go under locally. And my neighbor had his first batch of hens being raised in the modified houses of a repossessed farm and suddenly they came and took the hens off to slaughter. He will be bankrupted most likely.

California produces a lot of veggies and fruit/nut but for how long? I mean the water demands of CA are insane and much the same applies to the Rockies. Denver owns most of the mountain water from reservoir. That was something that came to a shock to some fishermen who watched reservoirs like Antero be drained to water the lawns of Denver residents when they had a big drought a few years ago. That lake had been there decades without ever being used. The sheepmen and cattlemen have basically been run out of the mountains of Colorado.

French, German, Dutch, and Irish farmers are staging protests over the EU trying to force meat production out, impose limits on fertilizer etc.
Sri Lanka banned chemical pesticides and fertilizers and saw crop production not only plummet but they had to import huge amounts of food at very high prices which resulted in the government collapsing and the president had to flee the country.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back