• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Does Minimum Wage Increase Help Or Hurt The Appraisal Business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these jobs available now, over 300,000 got them in January 2019.

In January 2019, average hourly earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls rose by 3 cents to $27.56, following a 10-cent gain in December. Over the year, average hourly earnings have increased by 85 cents, or 3.2 percent. Average hourly earnings of private-sector
production and nonsupervisory employees increased by 3 cents to $23.12 in January.

No one talking about guaranteeing success either--I see you don't quite get the idea of folks in need. :eyecrazy: That is unless "success" equates to having a roof over one's head, lack of hunger, etc.

Don't move the goal post. (nowhere in my post was the word guaranty)

Get cracking on your ANSWERS. You have time, I'm going out for dinner, it's what the bourgeoisie does.

Rather than this interminable harping about increasing the minimum wage and what the new and better minimum wage ought to be, how 'bout putting into the conversation something about providing opportunities for low-skilled people to become proficient at some skill that pays more than minimum wage?

Rather than this interminable harping about increasing the minimum wage and what the new and better minimum wage ought to be, how 'bout putting into the conversation something about providing opportunities for low-skilled people to become proficient at some skill that pays more than minimum wage?

JUN. 26, 2017

Seattle, with its highest-in-the-country minimum wage, may have hit that limit.

In January 2016, Seattle’s minimum wage jumped from $11 an hour to $13 for large employers, the second big increase in less than a year. New research released Monday by a team of economists at the University of Washington suggests the wage hike may have come at a significant cost: The increase led to steep declines in employment for low-wage workers, and a drop in hours for those who kept their jobs. Crucially, the negative impact of lost jobs and hours more than offset the benefits of higher wages — on average, low-wage workers earned $125 per month less because of the higher wage, a small but significant decline.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/seattles-minimum-wage-hike-may-have-gone-too-far/

When the labor pool shrinks and job openings increase, wages will increase naturally as employers will compete for limited supply of labor.

Man they are really hiding those opportunities I tell ya.

https://www.triton.edu/certificates/

Or maybe just pay attention to High School opportunities.

https://www.leyden212.org/domain/753

Because people don’t actually want to work. Like the hard, dirty, tiring kind. Minimum wage jobs are rarely any of those things, but the decently paying blue collar jobs are.

They are struggling mightily to fill entry-level aircraft production jobs in my town. Offering paid relocation, free tech school, and basically a guaranteed $40K/yr starting wage job (after overtime). Cost of living is nothing here as well. A dual income household at that starting $80K combined can buy a nice, 3BR/2BA/3car/finbsmt home in a nice part of town, in a suburban school district, newer cars, great benes, etc. Can’t find enough warm bodies to take the offer.

No similar problems with any of the white collar, college grad sort of openings here, at the same businesses.

Not to mention the constant radio ads advertising apprentice openings with the construction trades (electricians, plumbers, HVAC). Those are $60K-$80K blue collar career tracks for people with nothing but a HS education, and its crickets for applicant volume. Crazy.

Last edited:
Man they are really hiding those opportunities I tell ya.

https://www.triton.edu/certificates/

Or maybe just pay attention to High School opportunities.

https://www.leyden212.org/domain/753

I did, but I didn't see what such certificates could be expected to cost: information that student "aid" - in the form of loans - was readily accessible, so that the kids who weren't trained to do anything other than minimum wage/entry level jobs could take on significant debt to learn skills for which there is market demand. (And if you want, we could also discuss "distributive education" taught as job training - but you can learn all you need by just going to Burger King or Target.)

Many people do learn skills or get an education and leave min wage jobs behind. But then another person takes their place, so the question remains, what should those jobs pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back