• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hurricane Helena devastation in NC!

Wtf are you talking about? Codes... are you stupid? Do you seriously think your house would hold up to this? And if we have a different belief about climate change, then you will deny aid? What kind of sick person are you!View attachment 91982
I cannot think of a 'code' that stops 75 mph winds nor 8' walls of water. And I bet 9 of 10 flood maps in the region did not show a lot of these properties anywhere close to a flood zone. This means a lot of folks will be uninsured basically.

The weather service posted warnings right and left about this was going to be huge, but they admitted even they underestimated it, and I think most people were expecting heavy rains, just not deluges over wide areas. This is more similar to the flash flooding you see in the dry west. I recall working on the Bookcliffs of Colorado once where a storm was brewing north of us. As I drove down the road next to a dry wash, i saw a wall of water about a foot deep coming down the wash. I sped up to the crossing about half a mile away and quickly crossed the dry wash. I stopped and waited and a few minutes later this water came down the wash and quickly made the wash impassible. I went into town and came back several hours later to find the wash was dry again, well, muddy but no water. And both sides of the wash were dry, only a few sprinkles ever got that far south.

I cannot think of a 'code' that stops 75 mph winds nor 8' walls of water. And I bet 9 of 10 flood maps in the region did not show a lot of these properties anywhere close to a flood zone. This means a lot of folks will be uninsured basically.

The weather service posted warnings right and left about this was going to be huge, but they admitted even they underestimated it, and I think most people were expecting heavy rains, just not deluges over wide areas. This is more similar to the flash flooding you see in the dry west.
Yep. I was expecting a rainstorm. I was watching the weather stations before I went up there. When I woke up to the storm, I was in shock.

I realize they can't deploy at a moments notice and I am not blaming them directly. But I would think that the powers that be could have anticipated a little more. Just like the power companies do
Yes I see what you mean ,but much of what they preload in warehouse is for Deployments'

MREs have been used by deployed service members for more than 30 years. They are used when normal food service facilities are not available. For example, in basic training, soldiers might eat MREs for lunch when they are out doing training and don't feel like bringing them all the way back to the dining facility.
MREs have also been distributed to civilians as humanitarian daily rations during natural disasters and wars.

The Big issue was potable water.

Wtf are you talking about? Codes... are you stupid? Do you seriously think your house would hold up to this? And if we have a different belief about climate change, then you will deny aid? What kind of sick person are you!View attachment 91982
Some houses do hold up to it -roofs, straps, and windows are storm-rated and rated to withstand different wind MPH. Raising homes on stilts as well as other designs mitiage damage -

Why is it that the left went crazy over Katrina? But hardly worth a mention is Helene.
I will tell you. GW Bush was president then and now it’s the Brandon team. When the MSM wants to, they can put the spot light on something. Just saying.
0d218f61ce2c8fe5.jpeg

The weather service posted warnings right and left about this was going to be huge, but they admitted even they underestimated it, and I think most people were expecting heavy rains, just not deluges over wide areas. This is more similar to the flash flooding you see in the dry west. I recall working on the Bookcliffs of Colorado once where a storm was brewing north of us. As I drove down the road next to a dry wash, i saw a wall of water about a foot deep coming down the wash. I sped up to the crossing about half a mile away and quickly crossed the dry wash. I stopped and waited and a few minutes later this water came down the wash and quickly made the wash impassible. I went into town and came back several hours later to find the wash was dry again, well, muddy but no water. And both sides of the wash were dry, only a few sprinkles ever got that far south.

Building codes do not stop winds or water; they use materials and designs built to withstand it and rated for it. As does raising houses on stilts or above a first-level garage and other modifications.

Spectrum My Local TV/Internet provider are doing an excellent job. Right now considering the enormity of this storm damage I give the Local, State & Fed Governments an A+ on performance.

Why is it that the left went crazy over Katrina? But hardly worth a mention is Helene.
I will tell you. GW Bush was president then and now it’s the Brandon team. When the MSM wants to, they can put the spot light on something. Just saying.
View attachment 91983
Do you really give 2 F's for the residents of any natural disasters....
How much have you donated throughout your adult life to their plights....

Building codes do not stop winds or water; they use materials and designs built to withstand it and rated for it. As does raising houses on stilts or above a first-level garage and other modifications.
Hey idiot... they are on a mountain. They aren't in flood zones. And this mud/water/debris will rip every building in pieces that it comes in contact with. It would snap a stilt like a toothpick. Nothing would withstand this kind of power.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back