• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hurricane Helena devastation in NC!

I have lived in NC my entire life, mostly in the piedmont but also on the coast, and have visited and camped out in the mountains. Forty years ago by early October leaves would be changing and would peak by the 15th. I look out my window as I write this and it's green everywhere. There is barely a red leaf to be seen even on the dogwoods. You have to be blind or stupid to deny that weather is changing. Bad leaders come and go but climate change destroys civilization and causes mass extinctions. One political party recognizes this and one party denies this. That alone is a sufficient reason to consign the republican party to the ash heap.

Above post from the BB of a site where many different people comment-- from a longtime NC resident
Let's "follow the science". Right from the U.S. forest service

Unfortunately, autumn color is not very predictable, especially in the long term. Half the fun is trying to outguess nature! But it generally starts in late September in New England and moves southward, reaching the Smoky Mountains by early November. It also appears about this time in the high-elevation mountains of the West. Remember that cooler high elevations will color up before the valleys.

You are thankfully in the minority of viewpoints on it,
Viewpoints don't count. Science does and the IPCC report - a pro-global warming 5 year report is clear. There is a "low probability" of a relationship between hurricanes and climate change. FYI - if you really kept up with "the science" you would know that the few who are predicting a relationship between hurricanes and climate are arguing that hurricanes will increase but there will be fewer 4 and 5 cat storms. Helene was a 4.

Further, they do predict that in the future, with an increase of 4 degrees Centigrade (which we have not been anywhere near since 1860) from the IPCC executive summary (which does not mirror the 2500 other pages of research and references to research)

"Heavy precipitation will generally become more frequent and more intense with additional global warming. At a global warming level of 4°C relative to the pre-industrial level"​
Since there has been no measurable increase in temperatures since about 2005, in fact, a slight decline (remember the "hide the decline" scandal?) we have not seen this magical 4 degree increase in temperature. Further, we are unlikely to see it in the next 200 years. The reason is because the model used (models are not science) is the RCP 8.5... a climate scenario (unproven) RCP 8.5 aka Radiative forcing of about 8.5 watts per square meter (W/m2) by 2100Temperature increase. About 4.3°C by 2100 relative to pre-industrial temperatures. (see where they got the 4 degrees? from a model, not an observation.)

The problem is that even the IPCC dismisses the RCP 8.5 scenario as impossible. It would require all electricity to be generated by coal fired plants that have no emissions controls basically. The current radiative forcing level is RCP 2.6 or something close. - in other words, the amount of heat reaching earth will have to more than triple. And because it is related to the heat, the idea that CO2 is some sort of climate knob of the temperature
is ludicrous to begin with.

BTW - predicting increased rainfall with increased temperatures is the direct opposite of past history where increased temperatures correlate rather strongly with droughty conditions.

I have lived in NC my entire life, mostly in the piedmont but also on the coast, and have visited and camped out in the mountains. Forty years ago by early October leaves would be changing and would peak by the 15th. I look out my window as I write this and it's green everywhere. There is barely a red leaf to be seen even on the dogwoods. You have to be blind or stupid to deny that weather is changing. Bad leaders come and go but climate change destroys civilization and causes mass extinctions. One political party recognizes this and one party denies this. That alone is a sufficient reason to consign the republican party to the ash heap.

Above post from the BB of a site where many different people comment-- from a longtime NC resident
Climate is the changing... it always has. Man changing it? Not so much. And the major contributors to this is not the united states, but rather places like china.

How about this - regions who want to deny climate change, don;t want to abide by any regulations including building codes and who hate and fear teh federal govt - you are on our own, be self suvvient, live in a fantasy world and forgo the ulgto
Climate is the changing... it always has. Man changing it? Not so much. And the major contributors to this is not the united states, but rather places like china.
We understand teh climate is always changing.
But this acceleration is unprevented -i really don;t care, stay in denial but you if you have children to consider, they are the ones who will suffer from it the most.

It is not just China it is right here in America where decisions matter. China and India, and other nations are investing in cleaner energy and addressing their own pollution problems. Trump pulled America out of the Paris Climate Accord, which is the only major nation to do so. Who is elected in America and our policies ain influences matter wrt China and other nations.

To the climate deniers - Energy companies for years suppressed climate change information and spread disinformation about to protect their profits.

Man changing? That is up to each of us, isn't it...

To the climate deniers - Energy companies for years suppressed climate change information and spread disinformation about to protect their profits.
Another BS lie without a shred of support. Not one. But I assume you are doing your part by shutting off the AC next summer, selling your car, and making sure all your clothes including shoes are made of cotton, wool, and or leather... No plastic, no dacron, no rayon, no polyester...not even the thread they are sewn with.

How about this - regions who want to deny climate change, don;t want to abide by any regulations including building codes and who hate and fear teh federal govt - you are on our own, be self suvvient, live in a fantasy world and forgo the ulgto
Wtf are you talking about? Codes... are you stupid? Do you seriously think your house would hold up to this? And if we have a different belief about climate change, then you will deny aid? What kind of sick person are you!FB_IMG_1728054050859.jpg

Mental health tip for the perpetually strident:

"Thinking logically in today’s world can seem virtually impossible amidst feelings of anger, anxiety or sadness evoked by news headlines or social media. It is often difficult to become aware of and think through these feelings before saying or doing anything irrational. However, it is important in both personal and professional situations to develop the ability to think rationally, even when your emotions are telling you otherwise. The following are some tips to help you recognize the difference between emotional and rational thought."

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back