• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Regulator wins TAF CEO position

An appraiser without a backbone is worthless as an appraiser.

As a matter of ethics, Scope of Work is in USPAP and everyone recognizes it as a tool. The customers have to define the Scope of Work one way or another. But your take on this is rather weird.

The scope of work is usually pretty well defined in writing, directly and through various guidelines and regulations which get invariably a bit complicated. If it is not in writing, most of us will put it in writing. And the appraiser then answers to that defined Scope of Work -- not something from reading the minds of customers.

Your comments are at the very least misleading and corrupt, IMO. But, it a matter of opinion, strong opinion.

--- Back to trying to create an inexpensive Shiny Server -- what a damn hassle. I tried building on A2 Hosting, using 4 versions of Linux and gave up, then I went to my Mac Studio Ultra and created VMs with VMware, then about 4 version of Linux operating systems - but Apple Silicon still has to many problems ( I did get a nice R/RStudio setup with Red Hat though), then I went to Windows 11 with Hyper-V and installed R, RStudio and Shiny server - finally. Only my computers set behind a UDM Pro router which is behind a Xfinity router and there is no static IP, so it has to be DDNS. Oh that is in itself sooooo problematic. Everyone has problems trying to create a website behind Xfinity/Comcast personal modems (business Xfinity is too expensive for me nowadays). So, now that I do know how to set up a Shiny Server on Ubuntu/Hyper-V/Windows 11 - back to A2Hosting. Maybe I will succeed. But its been 5 solid days now. What a drag. What a drag.

Last edited:

The Unlikely Appraiser Advocate​

Jillian White, a minority appraiser, says entire industry needs reappraisal

There are about 75,000 appraisers nationwide and only about 300 are Black women, according to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics. That means there are a few hundred appraisers who understand both what it’s like to be Black in America and also what it’s like to have an appraiser’s methodology.

White was about eight years into her career when she met Ernest Durbin II at a meeting of The Collateral Risk Network back in 2011. Durbin recalled that she was running her own appraisal company in New York.

“In conversations with her, I learned that she was 29 years-old and had a bachelor’s degree in neuroscience from Columbia University. This led to the inevitable question, ‘How did you end up in the appraisal industry?’” he said.

Durbin, who was publisher of a national valuation magazine call “LiveValutation,” said he was impressed with White and asked her to write about her personal experience getting into the industry.

White did not disappoint, as she pointed to the lack of young appraisers and willing mentors in the business.

Durbin noted that the article highlights an issue that still remains in the appraisal business a dozen years later; a lack of diversity in the industry

As for the question about her degree in neuroscience, White explained that she would have had to pursue an MD or PhD and she wasn’t interested in that so she looked for other options.

https://nationalmortgageprofessional.com/news/unlikely-appraiser-advocate

just connecting bot dots... :rof: :rof: :rof:

The Unlikely Appraiser Advocate​

Jillian White, a minority appraiser, says entire industry needs reappraisal

There are about 75,000 appraisers nationwide and only about 300 are Black women, according to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics. That means there are a few hundred appraisers who understand both what it’s like to be Black in America and also what it’s like to have an appraiser’s methodology.

White was about eight years into her career when she met Ernest Durbin II at a meeting of The Collateral Risk Network back in 2011. Durbin recalled that she was running her own appraisal company in New York.

“In conversations with her, I learned that she was 29 years-old and had a bachelor’s degree in neuroscience from Columbia University. This led to the inevitable question, ‘How did you end up in the appraisal industry?’” he said.

Durbin, who was publisher of a national valuation magazine call “LiveValutation,” said he was impressed with White and asked her to write about her personal experience getting into the industry.

White did not disappoint, as she pointed to the lack of young appraisers and willing mentors in the business.

Durbin noted that the article highlights an issue that still remains in the appraisal business a dozen years later; a lack of diversity in the industry

As for the question about her degree in neuroscience, White explained that she would have had to pursue an MD or PhD and she wasn’t interested in that so she looked for other options.

https://nationalmortgageprofessional.com/news/unlikely-appraiser-advocate

just connecting bot dots... :rof: :rof: :rof:
I'll guess Ms. White has never worked for one of the AMCs Mr. Durbin has run, particularly the one he's at now. Which is the biggest joke in all of this, AMCs have killed the residential business and by extension opportunities for aspiring appraisers like Ms. White.

I'll guess Ms. White has never worked for one of the AMCs Mr. Durbin has run, particularly the one he's at now. Which is the biggest joke in all of this, AMCs have killed the residential business and by extension opportunities for aspiring appraisers like Ms. White.
Ernie Durbin, Chief Valuation Office and co-founder of Clarocity, former member of the Appraisal Practices Board, designated appraiser, and representative to the Industry Advisory Council of the Appraisal Foundation

From the Article on White: "The company, she said, is focused on closing the information gap regarding appraisal bias with data and resources that can assist lenders, regulators, consumers and appraisers as they go through the process.

“This new venture allows me to focus exclusively on the latest developments in appraisal bias whether they be related to policy, reporting or enforcement,” she said. “My offerings include speaking engagements, educational courses and consulting with the aim to prepare stakeholders for the changes that are arising specifically from the Property Appraisal and Valuation Equity initiative.”

What does that mean?

There is an old adage in investing that, "Don't invest in something you don't understand." The first problem with appraisal bias is it seems everyone speaks in platitudes. We've been taught and have learned through experience to select the most comparable sale properties with the subject. Appraisers are yet to be told how appraisers are suppose to shoe horn the less comparable to the subject.

…so what will happen to Clarocity Valuation Services?

VaCAP has been following the Clarocity Corporation Soap Opera since one of our members had trouble getting paid from them back in November of 2017. After doing a bit more research on them, we issued a warning to our members in December 2017 to pay attention as Clarocity was in financial trouble.

We kept watching and alerted our members that many of the AppraiserLoft Executives were now at Clarocity. We shared Clarocity was borrowing money at a bought down rate of 24% and repaying in stock shares in lieu of cash; all to cover daily operating expenses. AppraisersBlogs shared an article in August of 2018 when Clarocity stock hovered around a penny per share.

Our last warning was in February 2019 when Clarocity used the excuse of the “Government Shut Down” as to why appraisers were going unpaid. Clarocity defaulted on their $20,000,000 plus debt to StableView in January 2019.

On April 2, 2019 the main investor of Clarocity, StableView Assets directed the Trustee to “seize the shares” of Clarocity Corporation for repayment of their debt.

Well here is where it gets a bit interesting. The assets, are actually the subsidiary companies of Clarocity, which includes the Appraisal Management Company, Clarocity Valuation Services, formerly known as Valued Veterans.

Ok, so what will happen to Clarocity Valuation Services?

Once under the ownership of StableView Assets, they will be sold to iLOOKABOUT. Read about that agreement here.

Why StableView and iLOOKABOUT think there is value in an appraisal management company or the hybrid appraisal software they promote, is a question for another day.

So in a nut shell: Clarocity is insolvent, Clarocity Valuation Services is being foreclosed on and sold to iLOOKABOUT. Where does that leave the appraiser? Who is responsible for paying the appraiser? Will these companies strip the cash and assets? Is there money to pay the appraiser? Are any of the soon to be owners obligated under law to pay the appraiser?

…so what will happen to Clarocity Valuation Services?

VaCAP has been following the Clarocity Corporation Soap Opera since one of our members had trouble getting paid from them back in November of 2017. After doing a bit more research on them, we issued a warning to our members in December 2017 to pay attention as Clarocity was in financial trouble.

We kept watching and alerted our members that many of the AppraiserLoft Executives were now at Clarocity. We shared Clarocity was borrowing money at a bought down rate of 24% and repaying in stock shares in lieu of cash; all to cover daily operating expenses. AppraisersBlogs shared an article in August of 2018 when Clarocity stock hovered around a penny per share.

Our last warning was in February 2019 when Clarocity used the excuse of the “Government Shut Down” as to why appraisers were going unpaid. Clarocity defaulted on their $20,000,000 plus debt to StableView in January 2019.

On April 2, 2019 the main investor of Clarocity, StableView Assets directed the Trustee to “seize the shares” of Clarocity Corporation for repayment of their debt.

Well here is where it gets a bit interesting. The assets, are actually the subsidiary companies of Clarocity, which includes the Appraisal Management Company, Clarocity Valuation Services, formerly known as Valued Veterans.

Ok, so what will happen to Clarocity Valuation Services?

Once under the ownership of StableView Assets, they will be sold to iLOOKABOUT. Read about that agreement here.

Why StableView and iLOOKABOUT think there is value in an appraisal management company or the hybrid appraisal software they promote, is a question for another day.

So in a nut shell: Clarocity is insolvent, Clarocity Valuation Services is being foreclosed on and sold to iLOOKABOUT. Where does that leave the appraiser? Who is responsible for paying the appraiser? Will these companies strip the cash and assets? Is there money to pay the appraiser? Are any of the soon to be owners obligated under law to pay the appraiser?

I don't remember how that worked out, I never worked for them. Durbin is at Voxtur now so I assume Clarocity went bust owing appraisers an untold amount of money.

Last edited:
Silly boy who thinks it's the duty of appraisers to make their "clients" happy.

Nope, silly boy, you don't understand the role of an appraiser.

You worship USPAP at times, but you sure sound like you come from a different standards world.

I think your customer clients are eating away at your brain. So slowly but surely.

Chomp, chomp, chomp.

Again, you still don't understand the underlying concepts and principles which provide the foundation of appraisal standards well enough to be running your mouth on it. That's how you are conflating "the credibility of assignment results is always measured within the context of the intended use" with "predetermined outcomes", which we explicitly disavow and prohibit. If you were taking the test you would flunk it, because the entirety of appraisal standards is oriented to the prime directive as stated at the top of the PREAMBLE

1711813612098.jpeg

It's stated in black and white: that "meaningful" is judged by the user. Not by you, not by me, not by any other individual appraiser. Sometimes not even by the clients when those clients are not among the intended users.

If the numerical outcome was ever the only thing that mattered in an appraisal then SR2 wouldn't exist. If it didn't matter if your users believed your SR1 development there then your conclusions could be stated on a 3x5 with your license number affixed; as an expression of the appeal to authority (trust me because I'm the appraiser and you aren't) . You can have the perfect SR1 number, but if your users can't understand the SR2 communication of it then that SR1 number is unusable to them.

I can't tell you how many appraisals I've reviewed over the years that were fine on an SR1 basis but were kicked into review because the SR2 reporting didn't adequately sell the appraiser's solution to their readers.

And one more thing. What the customers define are their own expectations (for both SOW/development and SR2 reporting); what they consider to be sufficient for their usage. That individual user's expectations can consist of more than or less than what other users for that type of assignment would expect, and/or more than or less than what other appraisers doing such assignments would do. It's always on the appraiser to fill in any gaps between the minimums and the user's expectations, whether they're backfilling some of the minimums on the standards side or some of the users minimums in excess of those standards.

So no, the client or the user isn't the one who makes the appraiser's SOW decision. If an appraiser chooses to shortsheet either the users' minimums or the USPAP minimums then they did that, not the user.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back