• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Regulator wins TAF CEO position

“First, the CFPB will be taking an active leadership role in the Appraisal Subcommittee of the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council. Congress has assigned important responsibilities to the Appraisal Subcommittee, and it is important to live up to these expectations. In particular, we will be closely scrutinizing the work of The Appraisal Foundation, which wields enormous power to set standards and levy fees on the professional appraiser community.”

This is bad news for the rouge TAF. If the CFPB is going to take an active role in monitoring TAF and the ASC. Then gone are the days of pay-to-play, backroom deals, lack of transparency, forcing states to adopt the ever-changing USPAP by coercion, etc. TAF should humbly submit to their regulators. Both organizations have done enough damage to the industry. Time to stop thinking about themselves and how much money they milk out of the system.

This is bad news for the rouge TAF. If the CFPB is going to take an active role in monitoring TAF and the ASC. Then gone are the days of pay-to-play, backroom deals, lack of transparency, forcing states to adopt the ever-changing USPAP by coercion, etc. TAF should humbly submit to their regulators. Both organizations have done enough damage to the industry. Time to stop thinking about themselves and how much money they milk out of the system.
The govt will do what they do. As is their prerogative. I strongly doubt anyone at TAF is going to take that as bad news - why would they? They'll just work with the environment as it exists.

As for the appraisers.....
I'm curious if you think whatever changes that ensue at the hand of the federal govt will work to the benefit of appraisers in any way. More specifically, do you think any of those changes they make will benefit YOU? Or will they possibly hurt you? Because most appraisers are already unhappy with how the govt enacted D-F and they're especially angry with how the govt interpreted the C&R elements of D-F.

Are you perhaps expecting the govt to suddenly pivot 180* to the economic interests of fee appraisers? If so, then I think that's great.

What a crock of nonsense!

Many, if not most, sales agents are happy with any appraiser who is a reliable rubber stamp. What do the agents believe in? - A good rubber stamp.

Since they have already made their decision, Ditto with the above.

Trust you to do what? Rubberstamp? Rubberstamp ... Rubberstamp.

Do you mean the perfect reliable rubber stamp?

You don't say.

Hmmm. What do you consider a "legitimate user?" Or are you just trying to cover your *** here?

Because these other avenues of valuation are cheaper and faster and provide more leeway in valuation.

Nonsense. The AVM is ultra-reliable in its value output; you ask it—any time of any day, and it will give you a value you can accept or reject and go to another AVM to try for better luck. The client only goes to the appraiser if they have to.

Well, well, well. In most cases, the appraiser knows ALREADY what valuations they need because it is already established through practice. Yes, there are exceptions to more advanced appraisal work. But for the most part, it is Market Value, Fair Value, SCA, IA, or CA, or a mixture thereof. So, what decisions are we discussing that you keep making a big issue about? Hmmmm. Nonsense in most cases. Of course, if we, for example, get into Right of Way appraisals, how many appraisers do these types of appraisals? And really, the workflow for these is pretty much established.

---->

DO YOU THINK THIS IS A PROFESSIONAL APPRAISER? Good grief!!

You would make a better car salesman. Really. Maybe we need a new term "car salesman appraiser."

Of course. But whose fault is that? It is because appraisers lack a solid appraisal standard to protect them from indscriminant retribution - often from other appraisers who have become insane over the years trying to deal with that standard.

Well, clever appraisers don't have to lie. They make a total mess of things in a multi-sheet Excel spreadsheet and somehow generate a desired number for the client. It can get complicated. There is a definite science to it!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I should write an article on it. It's all about linkages.

No backbone appraiser. Money makes his decisions.

Well said, Bert.

Well said, Bert.
Baloney! Several times in the preceding 12 months, in both VA and Conventional sales involving multiple offers over asking prices, a below contract price appraisal was well received by the lender, borrower and agent. The borrower ended up closing at the below contract price supported by the appraisal. :)

tea testers...

Baloney! Several times in the preceding 12 months, in both VA and Conventional sales involving multiple offers over asking prices, a below contract price appraisal was well received by the lender, borrower and agent. The borrower ended up closing at the below contract price supported by the appraisal. :)

Hey, you are overlooking something: The seller agreed to the lower price, although you implicitly say the appraisal wasn't "well received" by the seller. Look, in case you don't know by now, the lender doesn't give a **** about the lower-than-contract price ---> as long as the seller agrees. The difference to the lender is minuscule - he is just happy to see the loan go through.

You are not thinking ---> as usual. Don't be so simple-minded. Appraisal can be very complicated. It is not a good job for simpletons.

Yeah, new boss is the same as the old. Another reason why I'm glad I didn't train my son.

She sounds like a robot. I could only take five minutes of this then I turned it off. It is all about her. It is as if she was interviewing for the job when we all know the hiring process was rigged before it even began.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back