• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The Appraisal Subcommittee Busted

The old guard can’t die off fast enough
Like a snake that’s had its body parts severed but their head is still alive swiveling all over the place. These people are not going to give up the millions that they’ve worked so hard to steal that easily. You have to go for the head.

It's a good thing you grabbed a screen shot because the FOJ are bringing the hammer down on dissent. The post I linked to in #59 is gone, along with others across social media. At this point my money is on them voting Dr. Chance out or forcing a resignation.

At this point, I demand the appraisal Institute provide a proof of life for Cindy :rof:

For a profession based on transparency, there is none of it at the leadership level. Even the designate members on this site seem to be quiet in most cases. Must be NDAs everywhere you look when you’re part of the old guard.

The solutions to this profession are so easy to fix, but it does require a lot of existing people to step aside. As most of them appear to be power-hungry, it won’t come without a fight. I love a fight :rof:

Indeed. This is really another example of patronage. The AI gives the same old presenters, plus perhaps few new ones, the right to stand up on stage and pretend they are experts at something they really don't understand. And then because they were chosen to give a presentation, they have something to brag about to potential clients, who don't know the difference and assume that because they gave some such presentation at an Annual AI Conference, they must be experts. Within the appraisal community it means something. Outside of the appraisal profession, especially in academia, which is also blessed with patronage issues (to a far lesser extent and on a higher level), they yawn: "What's new. It's not important."

This year, I think it will be a big waste of time to go listen to some genuine charlatans talk about AI. In another two years or so, we might start to hear some interesting war stories. Now all you are going to hear is BS. But then again, if you go to hear what you think is BS is indeed BS, you can run around and tell the world all about it. For what that's worth.

I have more important things to do, so I don't think I will go. Anyway in another 2 years, a good number will fall of the charts, one way or another.

One caveat: I do like to listen to the attorneys, who are a special case. If their presentation is about some new laws, that is probably pretty cut and dry, but when they venture into application of the law to real estate, what I see is someone throwing darts at a dart board. Some are good dart throwers and some aren't that great. But listening to the attorneys, can give you a sense of what nonsense they are up to - for the moment.
Correction: Maybe they changed the schedule. But right now there appears to be only one AI presentation. Well that's a relief. The presentations look pretty kosher right now. I think I will go this year, as it is not too expensive ($295).

It's a good thing you grabbed a screen shot because the FOJ are bringing the hammer down on dissent. The post I linked to in #59 is gone, along with others across social media. At this point my money is on them voting Dr. Chance out or forcing a resignation.

The FOJ is not going to give it up so easily. Move over King Dave.

1725557730777.png

pays well to be CEO of a pretend appraiser advocacy organization.

Now I see why the good ol boys like being in the friend of Jim group.

The FOJ is not going to give it up so easily. Move over King Dave.

View attachment 91048

Jim Amorin? I was just reading his rubbish article in the latest "The Appraisal Journal," a good example of the hogwash they publish.

Navigating Ethical Frontiers:
Real Estate Appraisal in the
Age of Artificial Intelligence

1. He can't even define "AI". He does have a section: "What is Artificial Intelligence?" He starts with:

"The seminal definition of artificial intelligence as“the science and engineering of making intelligent machines” is generally attributed to John McCarthy, who coined the term artificial intelligence in 1955. " Oh, great, that really helps. Then he ends with: "For example, Google's search algorighm uses AI to analyze the content on web pages and rank results." He mentions all kinds of things in between - but never gives a definition of AI. So, we are left to wonder what exactly he is talking about. --- Because he wanders over a gigantic landscape of

so and so says this and
so and so says that and
it's not this and it's not that

2. Then we have his lengthy and very misleading sections on bias and transparency. Bias should be easy. He spends a whopping amount of time describing how important transparency is. He says: "The principle of distributing responsibility refers to equitably sharing decision-making authority among the components of an AI system. " THIS IS SO STUPID. He has it all screwed up. Right here STOP. This guy just went bonkers. [ Now if he had instead said something about distributing responsibility between the stakeholders of an AI system, that would perhaps make some sense.]

3. For anyone's edification, AI system like ChatGPT, which he mentioned, are based on highly complex neural networks which even the best developers cannot fully explain. They just work ... Well that is to say, the result of their output is the result of thousands and thousands of weighted connections that have been developed with trial and error guessing by a super computer. If you look at them, you are going to just see a complex spiderweb of connections that really doesn't make sense.

AI tools like ChatGPT can be helpful to appraisers to get their work done. Sure. But what is missing in Advanced Appraisal, is really and most importantly, a lack of mathematical and anallytical expertise on the part of appraisers.

I consider Data Mining part of AI, some would say it is "Machine Learning" rather than AI, - but it is still AI, because neural networks are machine learning as well. Only MARS, which I use, is a more controlled type of machine learning - that actually is transparent.

Amorin, in this regard is a charlatan, and one would have to assume the same can be said of all his "peer reviewers."

End of story.

[Well not quite. If in his conclusion, if he had said something about appraisers needing to learn specific hard skills such as programming and data mining, - I would definitely have given him a pass. But he really says nothing specific, just the usual generic blah, blah, blah. And what else can we expect? The AI is in no position to teach the new skills needed. They don't have the money - it's mostly going to their "leadership,." The organization doesn't have what is required. It is irrevocably outdated and saddled with an entrenched bureaucracy. It is beyond repair. It dies a slow death. ]

Last edited:
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back