• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

To Hire An Assistant Or Work Solo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, I like my ceiling.

Yes sir. Those homes with higher ceilings can be expensive to heat in Jan/Feb deep in rural PA.

I like my ceiling too. Tall enough to keep me comfortable.

Like the OP, I feel as if I've pretty much hit a ceiling, outside of getting higher paid work. But, I like my ceiling.
"like the OP" yes, one hits their ceiling as a solo shop - been mentioned a few times in this thread ....
"But I like my ceiling" .... that's another thing (and almost priceless! IMO) - mainly because it means we are our own boss, making our own hours, accepting our own...doing our own...setting our own....... There is value in that (IMO - priceless)

Speaking of CG, is it worth it for a residential appraiser? I have no desire to appraise commercial which is why I haven't bothered to pursue it.

It takes 3-5 years (at least) full time to be a credible CG appraiser. If you have no desire it is a waste of time and money.

It takes 3-5 years (at least) full time to be a credible CG appraiser.
I'd argue it's similar to be a CR appraiser
(Edit: ok, maybe not 5 yrs - and definitely not comparing CG to CR - but definitely 2+ as is the current CR requirements!)

There are a couple of biz models you could pursue depending on your appraisal, marketing and sales skill levels.

If you feel well compensated for your current assignments, I would definitely go the assistant route-part time computer literate moms as one suggested is ideal.

You will increase your bottom line big time.

Weed out the slow/low payers as you go and focus on the better payers will result in similar higher net with less assignments, keeping the assistant means you make more than currently while working less.

The new free time may allow for CG education as well.

Your choice.
In your opinion, how much would you pay an assistant? I've gotten one quote @ 18.5% of the appraisal fee. Is that normal? And would you prefer them in an office setting or remote?

Last edited:
In your opinion, how much would you pay an assistant? I've gotten one quote @ 18.5% of the appraisal fee. Is that normal? And would you prefer them in an office setting or remote?

Remote is fine but I don't like the concept of receiving quotes.

I would ask around and see who may be qualified (in your circle of friends/acquaintences) and hire them for $20 hr for 20 midday hours per week.

Midday to fit a Mom's schedule and so that you both can communicate during regular business hours. 4 hours per day should allow a for 10-15 reports setup and first page mostly completed along with dropping in photos, floo etc.

Cheaper for you and a bit more control than the per report setup. Cost would be around 20-25,000 yearly. You should be able to increase your billings 60-75,000 if the work is there.

At some point you may wish to have the assistant answer some calls, make some stip corrections at your direction, schedule appoints etc.

I would ask around and see who may be qualified (in your circle of friends/acquaintences) and hire them

Auntie Social is available. :leeann2:

I think she's a punk rocker.

I started working with an appraiser that had what he called an office manager. The three of us worked out of an office until i left and now work out of my home.

The office manager handled all phone calls and emails (unless someone was upset and demanded to talk to one of us), scheduled the appointments, performed public record and MLS research for the subject property, started the report, created the workfile, entered sales data into comps database, imported photos, proofreading, sent report, billing and collections, and more, almost everything except property inspection and actual report writing.

I work a few more hours out of my home, but have a more flexible schedule and have a greater gross income. I think i could complete another report or two per week an increase my net if i could stay focused, as i find myself getting easily distracted with family and home. Working with the other appraiser we split total income. I earned 30%, the office manager earned 20%, and he paid all office, software, MLS, public record, cameras, computers, laser pointers, and other fees out of his 50%. I paid for education, licensing, E&O, and vehicle.

Check out ieImpact.com; I've been extremely happy with the service. It's liking having an admin assistant without the training or payroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back