• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

ANSI Standard Z765-2021 whole foot measurement question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certain posters should read the op again. It isn't about whether or not you used 10' or 10.0' . The client is questioning the actual measurements all being to the foot. In other words. They don't believe the appraiser's measurements
If that is True and not BS, then they should get to the location asap and measure it themselves, perhaps holding the dumb end of the tape or standing in front of the lazur (lol) or under the wheeel.....next they will want to know what type of nails were used :rolf:

I thought you were a caring person.
My point with the roof leak is that there are other causes to the roof leak which I was not aware of (adjacent property draining its water onto my roof).
As appraisers, we should see "everything" in looking at a problem.
You sir have a fire hazard in one of your properties.

Different exterior can change measurement by inches.
It's unfortunate appraisers have to worry about these nonimportant details which have no adverse effect on valuation.

You sir have a fire hazard in one of your properties.
Don't want to go to hasty action. Let's see if less appliance usage will resolve their problem. I'll get back to them from my vacation.

And the comparable is reported in what measurement??
That you did not measure
Not saying I agree with it or think it matters at all in residential appraising. Just trying to explain the reasoning.

When I did mortgage appraising I rounded to the nearest foot, the same as the local assessor.

I received the following revision request and wondered if anyone else received anything like it. I know ANSI is new to our profession, but this is the first time I have seen a request of this nature. I measured the house, and it was exactly what I put on the sketch; not sure if adding an inch on each side would make a difference.

"All measurements are noted are to the whole foot. Appraisals are required to comply with ANSI Standard Z765-2021 when measuring, calculating and reporting GLA and non-gross living areas of the subject property which includes applicable declaration statements. ANSI Standard Z765-2021 requires measurements to the to the nearest inch or tenth of a foot. Please note that a simple statement that ANSI is required or that ANSI was used is not sufficient to address the question of measurements when all of the dimensions on the sketch are in whole feet (or whole and half feet). Appraisal to provide commentary on the whole foot measurements."

Any help will be appreciated.
Add a 0.1 or 0.2 to one side and subtract the same on the other. The net sqft will be the same and checklist reviewers will STFU.

The easiest way to do that is go back and change the rounding on the sketch program. Bam. New sketch. That is what they want. I am assuming the appraiser measured to the nearest inch. If the appraiser put to the nearest inch when they sketched it, then the sketch program already has that stored in the sketch. It is not rounding right.
I said... YOU DON'T MASSAGE IT TO MAKE THEM HAPPY. That's not our job as appraisers.

do i need ansi, to measure, to see how many devils can dance on the head of a needle when i'm asked that question. and does that answer vary depending on the religion asking it. seems like every aspect has been now discussed, and i didn't have much new to say.

I received the following revision request and wondered if anyone else received anything like it. I know ANSI is new to our profession, but this is the first time I have seen a request of this nature. I measured the house, and it was exactly what I put on the sketch; not sure if adding an inch on each side would make a difference.

"All measurements are noted are to the whole foot. Appraisals are required to comply with ANSI Standard Z765-2021 when measuring, calculating and reporting GLA and non-gross living areas of the subject property which includes applicable declaration statements. ANSI Standard Z765-2021 requires measurements to the to the nearest inch or tenth of a foot. Please note that a simple statement that ANSI is required or that ANSI was used is not sufficient to address the question of measurements when all of the dimensions on the sketch are in whole feet (or whole and half feet). Appraisal to provide commentary on the whole foot measurements."

I got this, too! Don’t “fudge” a measurement to make it “look good”. If it is exactly 24 feet, put 24 feet. Most well built houses, especially newer ones, are exactly by the foot. I responded to the Colombo wannabe that it was a well-built house and exact foot measurements can expected.

I believe that what they are asking you is in discrepancy with ANSI. Per ANSI "When using English measurement units, the house is MEASURED to the nearest inch or tenth of a foot; the final square footage is REPORTED to the nearest whole square foot." Am I wrong or the sketch measurements MUST be REPORTED to the nearest whole square of a foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back