• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Institute - Am I being neglected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree AI has done next to nothing to support their residential designated members. My spouse is both an SRA and AI-RRS from waaaay back. I would have sought designation when I became an appraiser but saw no benefit 15 years ago. I see basically nothing they have done to truly make a difference for SRAs. Maybe once a year we will receive a request through the AI website. Other than that - nada, zilch. Prior comments have been spot on that no one in our industry (except other AI professionals) know what SRA or AI-RRS even means.

When someone says they have a SRA designation, my first reaction is the hoops they had to go through to get a designation which doesn't really help in GSE work.
The money and time to get that designation are high compared to the benefits.
It does separate them from other appraisers but many including the public does not understand how hard it is to get it.

After the lies and deception being pushed on baseless claims of racism in the appraisal profession and crickets from all parties who represent our profession I refuse to spend another dollar supporting the Appraisal institute.

Here's the biggest hoax! Why aren't assessors being called racist for undervaluing houses in black neighborhoods? Honest question!

Interestingly, there was no retention effort whatsoever. A few clicks of the mouse and done. I would have continued for half the dues.

It's part of the IRS code, but I'm not a lawyer.
On Estates Gifts It does not apply to real estate appraisers as we are licensed or certified but it does on personal Property like coins-art etc. I used to appraise numismatic coins and collections and had to be a member of a organization and provide training and education experience to show I was qualified.

historically speaking. the SRA designation when it belonged to the society of real estate appraisers was very valuable. before certification, how do you think you could have gotten any work? you couldn't without that SRA designation. it was all banks you dealt with, and some mortgage lenders. i voted for the merger, but once certification came, it became worthless. also, in effect the new appraisal institute didn't care 1 bit about residential appraisers.

Interestingly, there was no retention effort whatsoever. A few clicks of the mouse and done. I would have continued for half the dues.

If only we could do the same with TAF. A few clicks and goodbye.

When I worked at the bank, the bank was willing to pay for all my education to get SRA. Their classes are expensive in nicer venues. Fine with me during company time.:giggle:
When I go to the annual AI conferences, many of the participants are assessors.
I suspect assessor offices send many of their employees to their classes and AI likes them.

Prior to the merger both orgs had their own designations for residential and non-res. As I recall, upon merging, those members who held the now-discontinued designations were still allowed to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back