• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Institute - Am I being neglected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an outsider, which means I have no standing to complain about what the AI does. If you've left the AI then you're an outsider, too. If you're not an outsider then its easy to become one.

no worries, AI with all that money from TAF, will learn your future competitors, for the greater good :rof:

:rof: :rof:

Regardless that many of us did not join , ( which personally if I were starting career over, I might have ), and regardless of its failures to do more for Residential license members, the AI especially now has an important role as it at least strives for a higher standard of education and offers the education even to non members, and the designations, education, and papers or govt or agency involvement of the AI lends professionalism to appraisal which it badly needs.

Especially with dropping college , then Junior college as requirement for the Residential license- ( a mistake imo.) At least some college credits are still required but for how long ?- . Without either higher education as the bar,, or a respected organization like the AI promoting higher standards, appraisal can be perceived as just a glorified trade , all that is left is online classes taken to fulfil a license.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
I don't hold the opinion that AI is not doing enough for residential appraisers or something like that.

My thought is that AI doesn't do much of anything and doesn't do things that I would expect a professional organization to do.

I do want to join a good professional organization but there is just nothing about AI that makes me want to join.

Appraisal Institute kind of missed the internet altogether. Very weak with public relations and communications.

I don't hold the opinion that AI is not doing enough for residential appraisers or something like that.

My thought is that AI doesn't do much of anything and doesn't do things that I would expect a professional organization to do.

I do want to join a good professional organization but there is just nothing about AI that makes me want to join.
My sense of it is that people want these orgs to exercise influence with the politicians and govt officials in order to prompt govt to intercede on their behalf in the market. To prompt govt to do for them that which they are incapable of doing for themselves at either the individual or group level.

I think that's an unreasonable expectation because our group is too small to count. Even if everyone joined up and paid their dues it still wouldn't be enough to buy and retain the loyalties of the politicians. We're a relatively few in numbers as special interest groups go.

In the 70's and 80's obtaining a residential designation was a step up in the business. After consolidation of AI & SREA the decline began. National licensing and the requirement that lenders could not require designation was another step down. Stakeholders control of AI and TAF made a residential designation less and less significant to the market for real estate appraisals. AMCs are only fee oriented, so a residential designation doesn't mean anything.

Market forces on demand and supply of appraisers are the most important influence on designations today. I saw the purpose of a designation to indicate to the client that I took my education and experience as important and equivalent to a recognized standard. I recently trained a residential appraiser and I told them that a designation wasn't important to the market for residential appraisals.

My sense of it is that people want these orgs to exercise influence with the politicians and govt officials in order to prompt govt to intercede on their behalf in the market. To prompt govt to do for them that which they are incapable of doing for themselves at either the individual or group level.

I think that's an unreasonable expectation because our group is too small to count. Even if everyone joined up and paid their dues it still wouldn't be enough to buy and retain the loyalties of the politicians. We're a relatively few in numbers as special interest groups go.

I can see how a lot of the AI complaints are interpreted that way.

At a minimum you would expect the professional organization to be a staunch advocate for their members and their interests. If not politically, at least very publicly and visibly. You don't really see that or even get that vibe from AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back