• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Does Minimum Wage Increase Help Or Hurt The Appraisal Business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not a mystery to anyone loving the outdoors! We go to the Gatlinburg area every year, but not for the tourist trappings, but the awesome scenery, hiking, camping, etc. I personally think the people there are great as well, Vol fans notwithstanding whenever they play the Gators... :)

My brother wants to retire there. 55" of rain annually?! No way for me.

If someone works/trains hard to get that promotion to station manager, that is a 68% increase in pay for being nothing more than a more valuable employee. Perhaps just more reliable. Perhaps having better customer service. Whatever. Raising just the minimum wage to $9 in your example reduces the economic value of being 'better' to a 30% increase. That is a 38% difference in effective pay.

Lets look at it from the appraiser perspective. Most here, including you, would agree that 'better' appraisers deserve better pay. The skippys whose reports have lots of errors, are far less credible, etc, do not deserve the same pay as a well thought out report done by an experienced, ethical appraiser. But your take on all this suggests you would be just as happy giving the skippy a higher rate of pay per hour of slop they put out than the better appraiser.

Let's not forget minimum wage jobs are there for a reason--they are the untrained, the zero to little experienced, etc. Why should any policy benefit them at the expense of those who have worked hard to get to where they are? Where is the social justice in that?

Should all appraisers and teachers and police officers and actors and ball players make about the same amount, regardless of quality of work output?

you are so silly OI.... don't you know that the only person allowed to make any type of comparison to the appraisal profession is jgrant? any time anyone makes a comparison she is the first to jump in and tell you how wrong you are. the only time a comparison is right is when she does it.

see?

Lets look at it from the appraiser perspective. Most here, including you, would agree that 'better' appraisers deserve better pay. The skippys whose reports have lots of errors, are far less credible, etc, do not deserve the same pay as a well thought out report done by an experienced, ethical appraiser. But your take on all this suggests you would be just as happy giving the skippy a higher rate of pay per hour of slop they put out than the better appraiser.

Not an apt comparison because appraiser fees impacted by AMC fee gouging/corrupt selection agenda in assigning work exists in its own sphere, for starters fee appraisrs are not hourly employees ..

i told you...

Appraisers end up with lower pay AMC work because they are STUPID They take AMC work because there is a limited number of full fee pay lenders in an area. The artificially manipulated supply and demand is because post HVCC lender work though a very small channel of demand- and a good part of that channel ( the AMC';s are wholesalers rather than retail end users.

Retail users of appraisals ( lenders, VA, private etc ) pay going C and R in the case of lenders pass on what borroewr paid, because they keep no part of the fee for their own profit.

Thanks to the bleneded fee on the HUD, the AMC's can keep a portion (split) of the appraisal fee, which they do for their profit rather than charging the lender for their service.

why don't you just make this your signature so you don't have to type it in every thread you join? think of how much time you will save!

An example region :pre HVCC 2,000 diverse loan officers ordered appraisals. Post HVCC that got narroed into 20 AMC's and 10 direct lenders, a narrow channel of 30 client DEMAND.

would love to see anything that backs this up, but we know you don't have any proof and just make up numbers on the fly to coincide with whatever erroneously arrived at conclusion you want to push.

Last edited:
I can't speak to today. It looked alot like pics of modern day Detroit when I was there years ago. So what are recent population growth numbers?

Last time I looked people were moving into Pittsburgh....Except Illegals...their Hispanic Population is a very distinct minority, so small they are lump in with all spanish

At the 2010 Census, the population of Pittsburgh consisted of:
  • White: 64.8%
  • Black or African American: 25.8%
  • American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.2%
  • Asian: 4.4%
  • Other: 0.3%
  • Two or more races: 2.3%
  • Hispanic or Latino of any race: 2.3%

Last time I looked people were moving into Pittsburgh....Except Illegals...their Hispanic Population is a very distinct minority, so small they are lump in with all spanish

At the 2010 Census, the population of Pittsburgh consisted of:
  • White: 64.8%
  • Black or African American: 25.8%
  • American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.2%
  • Asian: 4.4%
  • Other: 0.3%
  • Two or more races: 2.3%
  • Hispanic or Latino of any race: 2.3%

There's something curious about you regarding Hispanics....
What gives???

There's something curious about you regarding Hispanics....
What gives???

I don't have anything personal against Hispanic people at all....I have a real problem with illegal immigration because these people are exploited by business and other industries. My beef is that both political parties refuse to do anything about it....as a result the illegal's are being paid at below minimum wage because of their status.

Much like the Europeans who immigrated here in the early 1900's of which were my Grandparents. It to took them 11 years to become citizens including all ten of their Children who were BORN here. I don't know you at all, but I would bet you don't have a clue about how people are exploited around the world today!

Pittsburgh was built off the backs of immigrants. If you read up on the history of Pittsburgh way back in the day you might understand.

My Point above demonstrating the today Racial Composition of Pittsburgh simply shows they don't have an immigrant population problem today like they did in the past, but they like most current day yankees are quick to criticize people in the Southern states over are resistance to wholesale illegal immigration. In a nut Shell it depresses wages in our part of the country for actual citizens.

Here is your state; but first I must point out they lump all hispanic/latino's in one group. It would be interesting to know what percentage is Puerto Rican versus other Latino's

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is home to a large number of Hispanic and Latino residents. As of the 2010 Census, Hispanics and Latinos accounted for 9.6% of the total state's population (that is; 627,654 residents of Hispanic or Latino ethnic origin).
what doesn't do is break down the origin of those Latinos. My Guess is that Peurto Ricans make up a large portion of that minority group. That would not surprise me.

To further my argument about exploitation of immigrants:

President Obama and President Trump had majorities in the House and Senate during the first two years of their Terms. Neither one was ever presented a Bill to reform immigration.

You see where the problem is..

Last edited:
Whole Foods Slashes Worker Hours Four Months After $15 Minimum Wage Increase

In response to public pressure and increasing scrutiny over the pay of its warehouse workers, Amazon enacted a $15 minimum wage for all its employees on 1 November, including workers at grocery chain Whole Foods, which it purchased in 2017.

All Whole Foods employees paid less than $15 an hour saw their wages increase to at least that, while all other team members received a $1 an hour wage increase and team leaders received a $2 an hour increase.

But since the wage increase, Whole Food employees have told the Guardian that they have experienced widespread cuts that have reduced schedule shifts across many stores, often negating wage gains for employees.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...mazon-cuts-minimum-wage-workers-hours-changes

I wonder if anyone sees a trend with increasing the minimum wage and hours worked? Gee, nothing is free, you reap what you sew.

"I wonder if anyone sees a trend with increasing the minimum wage and hours worked? Gee, nothing is free, you reap what you sew."

"... you reap what you sow"...

So true....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back