• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible conclusions:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

If you want to run with the dogs, you can't piddle like the puppies....

If you're only going to bark, it is best to stay on the porch, or under it:)

Sometimes I feel like being scholarly, but then I usually keep it to myself.

I have observed:

Pearls of wisdom, trampled into the mud; the scourges of war waged with these battles of words?

Or will the debate, fired by heated rhetoric, lead to renewal? A Phoenix Rising? A Spring crop of fresh ideas?

I think it’s rather quaint the way some continue to use childish names to impugn those they obviously dislike..... whether or not they agree on anything else in appraising is immaterial. I’m beginning to find this thread dreadfully boring because there is nothing new other than the dates on articles…..copy and paste another one written by an obscure egghead, copy and paste, etc. It’s like watching a Gilligan’s Island rerun for the 7th time….you know how it’s going to end, but for some reason you still stay glued.

"I figured I would post the disclaimer for you. You really didn't want to mislead anyone, did you?"

"The government cautions that its housing data are subject to large sampling and other statistical errors. The standard error is so high, in fact, that the government cannot be sure sales increased at all in May. The 4.6% increase is statistically meaningless."[i/]

Sorry Compadre...THAT'S NOT in the article I took the information from. I've gone back & double checked.

Funny thing is...he has added some stuff since this morning to the e-article. I just got back in...the stock market's since closed & he's now reporting where the Dow ended.

It's obvious the markets are slowing in many regions, however, it's hardly shaping up to be the dreaded bubble prophesized so often here.

like watching a Gilligan’s Island rerun for the 7th time….you know how it’s going to end, but for some reason you still stay glued."

Problem is Little Buddy...it never ends! It's only locked!

Both sides see the data in a different light...neither side will evidently convince the other. It's like that guy who wrote the books; The Coming Depression of The '80's...The Coming Depression of The '90's...The Coming Depression of The New Millenium, or The Energizer Bunny.

HOWEVER! We're stuck with one irrefutable fact...STILL NO HOUSING BUBBLE!

-The Professor

Last edited:
A Housing Bubble in Europe?

A Housing Bubble in Europe?

Fast-rising prices and household debt levels could lead to trouble -- at least in some countries

German house prices posted their fourth consecutive year of decline in 2005, while French prices rose 15.2% year-over-year, after rising 15.2% in 2004. In at least some areas, there may be evidence of a property price bubble.

http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/jun2006/pi20060626_425094.htm

Suggestion

Gentlemen
It appears as non-productive when able people engage each other in a long drawn debate with personal nuances. I believe that everything that could have been said was probably said.
let the moderator take the bets and invest them in the new housing market index on the exchange.
On a more serious note, we can all join and benefit from a combined effort to write some guidelines on the new scope of work as per USPAP.
I believe that will require talent and will be less controversial.
Moe

Mike Simpson said:
HOWEVER! We're stuck with one irrefutable fact...STILL NO HOUSING BUBBLE!

-The Professor

Talkin' about non-existent housing bubbles...

My house is located in a subdivision. I bought back in 1992, during the bottom of the last nonexistent housing bubble. Some developer bought the subdivision at $960K ($80K per lot) in the laste 1980's, and decided to sell the subdivision at a $360K ($30K per lot), a $600K loss, obviously just for fun, since no bubble existed.

Other developers did the same. Waterfront lots in subdivisions that were selling for as much as $880K in 1988 were selling for $295K-$325K in 1992/93.

Are there differences between then and now? Sure...now energy prices are higher and interest rates can't drop 8 points...but since there is no bubble, it's not going to matter anyway.:new_all_coholic:

At 91 pages, this thread is a bubble.
And it's full of hot air. :new_llying:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back