• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing loans for new hires, so perhaps there are companies that don't see the promise in interfacing with programmers in India who may not be strongly "programmed" in English Communication.

Appraisers aren't the only ones that gag at out sourced appraisal management, tech support, etc. There could be a backlash. Proficiency in English should not be overlooked by business decision makers, IMO.

rogerwatland said:
I'm doing loans for new hires, so perhaps there are companies that don't see the promise in interfacing with programmers in India who may not be strongly "programmed" in English Communication.

Appraisers aren't the only ones that gag at out sourced appraisal management, tech support, etc. There could be a backlash. Proficiency in English should not be overlooked by business decision makers, IMO.
I suppose it depends where you are. English is not the language that will get you a job interfacing with the public down here. It is Spanish.

I suppose it all depends on the company and the service you are trying to use. SBC is my DSL provider and tech support is in India. I bought a network printer by HP and tech support was in Turkey. That's just my personal experience. Your experience my vary.

I know 2 computer geeks. Both are graphic artist. One works for a skate board company called Gravity and is their designer ( http://www.gravityboard.com/ ). The other does custom layouts for web pages, advertising, presentations, logos, etc. ( http://www.jtapia.com/ ) Neither make over $50,000. They are young, however. One bought a condo a year ago. The other is still renting waiting for the big bang to occur in the housing market so he can buy something.

Stuck! Homes sit longer on the market
It's taking longer to sell a house these days. Is this another sign that the boom is over?
By Les Christie, CNNMoney.com staff writer
June 27 2006: 5:28 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The tell-tale sign of a stagnating real estate market? When homes for sale start lingering - and that's exactly what real estate brokers and other industry watchers say they're seeing now.
The National Association of Realtors does not maintain national time-on-market figures. But inventory - the number of homes for sale - spiked 37 percent for the 12 months through April 30, thAt the same time, the rate of sales has slowed, so that there is now 6 months worth of supply, up from 4.1 months a year earlier.
All that supply means homes are sitting around longer and that sellers are asking more than buyers are willing to pay -- an indication that prices may have to come down.
"Sellers are in denial, and there is a rising disconnect with the buyers," said Jonathan Miller, a real estate appraiser in New York. "Until sellers get the message, you'll see a drop in the number of transactions
Philadelphia has seen only a modest run-up in time-on-market from about 23 days last year to a still low 33 today. But the city's inventory has grown from nearly 21,000 last year to more than 36,000 today, a more than 50-percent jump.
"The sales pace is identical, but inventory is way up," says Harry Caparo, who runs Coldwell Banker Preferred in Philadelphia. "Time-on-market is going to start to rise."
. Two markets
The cool or steady markets seem to be maintaining their equilibrium. David Barnes, a broker in Nashville, Tennessee, says time-on-market there has risen modestly this year to around 75 days from 65 days.
Carolyn Heimlinger, a broker in Des Moines, says the figure there is about 82 days, up from 75 days a year ago. Prices have flattened but not dropped. "Where I see concessions is new constructions," says Heimlinger. "Developers now offer rebates and free upgrades."
In Charlotte, N.C., Wallace Perry, president of Coldwell Banker United for the area, says time-on-market hasn't changed much, at 85 days to 90 days. "It's a very good sign that the market here is holding steady."
But in once superheated markets, things have gotten tougher.
In Hanover, New Hampshire, broker Ned Redpath reports a "drastic" increase in time-on-market.
All through the 2000s, New Hampshire averaged double-digit price increases and about 60 to 70 days on market. Now Redpath estimates average time-on-market at 125 days. He expects price changes to soon reflect that.
"The longer a listing is on the market," he says, "the more the price will come down."
In once white-hot Napa, California, Coldwell Banker broker Doug Fowler reports an increase to between 60 days and 90 days, where they once were a week or two. He thinks the long-term prospects for Napa are fine, but the area could see short-term adjustments.
Boston time-on-market has gone from 52 to 58 days, according to Susan Hsu, a RE/MAX broker.
In Phoenix, according to Valley Wide Homes broker Ron Wilczek, time on the market was often less than a week in 2005. Now it's approaching 60 days.
And in Miami, the time-on-market has lengthened to between 30 and 40 days from about 20 just a few weeks ago, according to Mario Tome, of Greater Miami Realty.
All this is evidence that the real estate boom may have run its course in many hot markets. At the very least, sellers will have to set their prices very carefully if they want to move their properties quickly and avoid long months of having their houses spending time-on-market.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/26/real_estate/days_on_market/index.htm

Mortgage applications down, MBA says
Application volume declined nearly 7% last week; interest rates on 30-year mortgages reach 6.86%, a four-year high.
June 28 2006: 8:10 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- U.S. mortgage applications fell last week as the 30-year mortgage rate reached a four-year high, an industry trade group said Wednesday.
The Mortgage Bankers Association said its seasonally adjusted index of mortgage application activity for the week ended June 23 decreased 6.7 percent to 529.6 from the previous week's 567.6.
Borrowing costs on 30-year fixed-rate mortgages, excluding fees, averaged 6.86 percent, up 0.13 percentage point from the previous week, its highest level since April 2002.
The MBA's seasonally adjusted purchase mortgage index fell 6.2 percent to 389.0.
The group's seasonally adjusted index of refinancing applications decreased 7.5 percent to 1356.0.
The refinance share of applications decreased to 35.3 percent from 35.5 the previous week.
Fixed 15-year mortgage rates averaged 6.49 percent, up from 6.37 the previous week. Rates on one-year adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs) increased to 6.36 percent from 6.22 percent.
The ARM share of activity decreased to 29.1 percent of total applications from 29.6 the previous week.
The MBA's survey covers about 50 percent of all U.S. retail residential mortgage loans. Respondents include mortgage bankers, commercial banks and thrifts.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/28/news/economy/mortgage_apps/index.htm

moh malekpour said:
Napa, California, Coldwell Banker broker Doug Fowler reports an increase to between 60 days and 90 days, where they once were a week or two. He thinks the long-term prospects for Napa are fine, but the area could see short-term adjustments.
Boston time-on-market has gone from 52 to 58 days, according to Susan Hsu, a RE/MAX broker.
In Phoenix, according to Valley Wide Homes broker Ron Wilczek, time on the market was often less than a week in 2005. Now it's approaching 60 days.
And in Miami, the time-on-market has lengthened to between 30 and 40 days from about 20 just a few weeks ago, according to Mario Tome, of Greater Miami Realty.

These guys need a reality check. Time on market used to run around 90 days in this area. That was back in the early 90's. Since about the time of the stock bubble crash, time on market has been more like 120 to 180 days in this market.

It is another example of bubble thinking that these realtors believe something like two weeks should be typical. Time on market extending out to 90 days is not a sign the bubble is popping, it's a sign that these markets are coming back into equilibrium. What had been a seller's market in these locations is moving back toward balance. The question is whether it will move on through that and to a buyer's market.

IS Billy just full of BS or is this worth a comment?

Billy Johnson said:
Beazer Homes is offering a 1.8% first year, 4.8 balance of 30 year fixed. Since I couldn't come up with a 10% down, they offered me a 3% rebate ($21,570) for upgrades from design center instead. As well, they are paying closing costs ($15,000). They eliminated all lot premiums, and I have a panoramic view ($20,000). They are giving me a 3% landscape credit for a rear yard ($21,570). I get a 4% Broker Coop credit ($28,760). That's $106,900.

Tell me that their sales haven't fallen off to offer that.

Based on number crunching the guy is buying a house with a purchase price of $719,000.

So,

I wonder if these sales reflect the $106,900 or 14.87 % seller concessions in the appraisals?

A recorded price of $719,000 ?

More like buying cars .....

I wonder if they offer 0% fairly soon and inflate the price to like $800,000 and then use the data to say prices are appreciating?

Today

arrow_down_white.gif
THIS DAY IN HISTORY

The New York stock market crashed.

MLS data unreliable

The problem here with the MLS system, the Realtors are "cooking" the statistics to keep the DOM artificially low. They cancel, they withdraw and even let expire a listing that over laps the new listing to confuse the real marketing time. You really have to be determined after selecting comparables to research them thoroughly to see what really happened.

For example, the real DOM for condos in a certain city here is like 120+ days, not the 60 or so days of as shown by current, active listings.

The other problem with the MLS system is the concessions are not being reported on the MLS property profile after closing. It is common to find 20 to 30% of the properties recorded sales price higher than the listing price with no mention of a concession on the MLS profile. Calling the agents involved in the transaction does not produce anything to confirm a concession was involved.

I suspect the same is going on in other markets across the nation.

I believe it is going to be a nasty surprise to some when they discover the market reality has changed.

same here

MLS data is just as unreliable here. I've seen a property with a list date that hasn't even come around yet. Putting the days on market intro the negative..

Tamara Vargas said:
MLS data is just as unreliable here. I've seen a property with a list date that hasn't even come around yet. Putting the days on market intro the negative..

I had a great comp for an assignment I was working on the other day. Unfortunately the date of sale was beyond the effective date I was working with. My effective date was in Sept. 2004, the comp sales date was 08/24/24. :rof:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back