• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hurricane Helena devastation in NC!

I wouldn't want you in my foxhole.

You would beg me in your foxhole.

Never lost one on the Vietnam memorial
Your very fortunate. 58,220 Service members did not. REMEMBER NEVER FORGET

Remember These Men from my small aviation Unit in VN who gave their lives for your Freedom.
1LT Thomas J. Wiley
Capt Phillip Harold Jacobs
Capt WILLIAM J LANGMAN
Edwin Cleo Harmon
EDGAR D BERNER
Steven Harold Krupkin
Jeffrey John Klaves
John William Parsells

Until then, they don't count as a dead person. Good grief.
What would be the advantage(s) of immediately counting the cadavars in total deaths....

And have you complained about this protocol in the past....
Or is this a brand new protocol applied only to this hurricane....

Last edited:
These are their people, and they are going to rescue them. They are putting the other people's lives in front of their own. That's how it works. If I have friends or relatives up there, i'm going up there. If FEMA is just going to be a police presence, then they aren't welcome.
I don't know what 's going on up there or if our friend's stories about being stopped from helping is true or not. You have already printed disinformation here, such as homeowners only getting $750 from FEMA, which is not true, and a lot of your posts are more about spreading an anti-government MAGA agenda than really helping the situation..

FEMA does not have enough people there to prevent residents from helping each other, and that is not their role, but FEMA or the National Guard will stop civilians from helping or entering a dangerous area if it looks like they can be harmed or will slow down essential work being performed.

They live in remote areas- I lived through Andrew here, and it takes days and sometimes weeks to reach everyone -roads are flooded, unpassable, hazards everywhere. I lived through other bad storms here, but none as devastating as Andrew, which this is on a par with but even higher death count and hard mountainous terrain in some of the areas affected.

I don't know what 's going on up there or if our friend's stories about being stopped from helping is true or not. You have already printed disinformation here, such as homeowners only getting $750 from FEMA, which is not true, and a lot of your posts are more about spreading an anti-government MAGA agenda than really helping the situation..

FEMA does not have enough people there to prevent residents from helping each other, and that is not their role, but FEMA or the National Guard will stop civilians from helping or entering a dangerous area if it looks like they can be harmed or will slow down essential work being performed.
Actually they are getting $750 initially , its explained in the link below. What the reasoning is these people need some money upfront until more financial help comes next. So I think that is a good move by FEMA

FEMA disaster relief program does offer victims $750, but it’s not FEMA’s only program. Hurricane Helene survivors can apply for many others.

Last edited:
Actually they are getting $750 initially , its explained in the link below. What the reasoning is these people need some money upfront until more financial help comes next. So I think that is a good move by FEMA

That makes sense, but the rumors were that the $ was limited to $750, and then a rant about how so much money goes to illegal immigrants.
Thank you for fact-checking it

To folks who post continually post conspiracy theories or disinformation (which can contain a kernel of truth) and claim they "heard it" somewhere or a friend told them - fact check it not just for the board but for your own sake.

Bush faced the same issues with Katrina. Again, the magnitude of the problem is far greater than the ability of any agency to master overnight be it Bush or be it Biden. I think everyone was and is doing everything that they can with the resources they have. You cannot truck food into a place that the roads are washed out, the bridges are gone, and trees are covering the roads. And Bush couldn't get trucks to people sitting on a bridge with 10' of water surrounding them.
OTOH, after Katrina there was a huge amount of aid waiting in semis along highways for days because there was no leadership to tell them where to take the aid.

FEMA has been pretty good on some occasions but a major disaster is far above the abilities of the mental midget political appointees running the DHS and FEMA. All of the devastation in NC and the laughing fool goes to GA for photo ops. I guess there are more Electoral votes in GA so she knows (has been told) what her priorities are. Besides, Asheville has become the San Franscisco of the east and she know her votes are safe there, no matter what happens.

Not much I can do from here but I did buy a few cases of MREs and sent them with a charity heading in that direction.

What would be the advantage(s) of immediately counting the cadavars in total deaths....

And have you complained about this protocol in the past....
Or is this a brand new protocol applied only to this hurricane....
This is the first time it was brought to my attention... otherwise I would have complained earlier.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back