• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Just finished the 15 hour online USPAP course from McKissock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been told on a couple occasions (in class) that "Those who can...do; and those who can't...teach". I try to make it a point to keep that in mind every time I step behind the podium.

Those that can't market their skills, review. Well, not anymore, the HVCC took care of that.

Just kidding, I enjoy live CE when the teacher is good along with the subject. But USPAP, let's just take an exam for that one.

I took on-line for the first time this year, I liked it. Worked at my own pace and did it whenever I wanted. Plus, as others have stated, most appraisers in PA have a broker's license as well, and it doubled dipped.

Someone put together an AF USPAP class along with Appraisal Forum Etiquette, should be a winner.

Gee thanks Voltaire. Because for people like you boasting I had to suffer through the NEW 7 Hour USPAP from McKissock which made me mouse click after each sentence to prove I was reading it and take each quiz twice to prove "mastery" even if I got all the questions fight the first time. McKissock said that the format was a new ASB requirement.

There is a God, or at least the ASB doing his work.:clapping:

I too had to mouse click after each sentence, and answer each question correctly twice.

Like you, I took the AQB Recertification exam las October. I did it in one setting, in about 4 hours. Guess the "old ****" is not as stupid as Voltaire would have one believe.:icon_mrgreen:

Don, what are you trying to say here? What you've written is stared out, could you clarify? Also, I'm not sure why you have it out for me. It's fine if you'd like to hold a grudge against me, but I'd appreciate it if you'd stop misquoting me. I have never referred to you as stupid.

Have a nice Labor Day everyone.

Don, what are you trying to say here? What you've written is stared out, could you clarify? Also, I'm not sure why you have it out for me. It's fine if you'd like to hold a grudge against me, but I'd appreciate it if you'd stop misquoting me. I have never referred to you as stupid. .

Your comments on post 11, and commented on By George Hatch on post 16.

The term that was starred out by the forumin another word for the same thing is "Flatulence".

BTW.

How was the exam?

Your comments on post 11, and commented on By George Hatch on post 16.

The term that was starred out by the forumin another word for the same thing is "Flatulence".

BTW.

How was the exam?

Ha ok I understand now! It's funny that they censor that. The exam went well, I was able to take it here in town with a pleasant proctor. I thought it was designed pretty well.

Next up, however, is my Basic Appraisal Principles and Basic Appraisal Procedures proctored tests (took the courses through AI). Are they about the same as far as difficulty? I have to travel to take them as they only allow the proctoring through one company.

Ha ok I understand now! It's funny that they censor that. The exam went well, I was able to take it here in town with a pleasant proctor. I thought it was designed pretty well.

Next up, however, is my Basic Appraisal Principles and Basic Appraisal Procedures proctored tests (took the courses through AI). Are they about the same as far as difficulty? I have to travel to take them as they only allow the proctoring through one company.

The AI is the best, the most difficult, and the most worthwhile. I have taken only one course from them and that was 1994...Residential Case Study. It was right after Clinton made taxes retroactive to the first of the year, business went to hell, and I took a week off and went to Chapel Hill, NC to take the course. It was 7 days long, and had homework and study groups at night. The final exam was on the following Saturday. I passed but the test was difficult. I learned more there in one class than in all the classes I had attended or taught up to that point.

For the record. I have nothing against you personally. I wish you well. But, I had to see the denigration of a very basic course such as USPAP. USPAP is not "learned" from the course or the exam. It will come with time, exposure to actual appraisal practice, and a few bumps in the road.

I just finished the 7 hour USPAP online with McKissock.
The materials were fine, but reading through twice and answering all the questions twice, and having to get them all correct, or face more questions.... Grueling. :leeann:

Next time I look for a live class. Hopefully George will be teaching.

The materials were fine, but reading through twice and answering all the questions twice, and having to get them all correct, or face more questions.... Grueling. :leeann:

Welcome to the new distance education requirements, Lee. How long did it take you to get through the material?

I don't think I could make it through the USPAP update on-line without contemplating suicide. :new_smile-l:

I have taken his USPAP class, and he's guaranteed not to put anybody to sleep - highly recommended.

Don, regarding 5 vs 15 hours.

First I do prefer live classes over computer courses.

The typical instructor is going to speak at a rate of 120 words per minute. A slightly above average reader will read at the rate of 300 WPM. A speed reader might do 1000 WPM. However, when you are in technical material your speed will normally drop to about 25-50% of your normal rate. My point is that the same amount of material can definitely be covered faster on the computer.

Back about 15 years ago, a research group took an 8 hour course taught by a live human and recorded the instructor. They speeded up the playback of the course and lowered the frequency of the instructor's voice (to avoid that chipmunk sound) and played the course back in exactly 1 hour. The people's retention of the material was actually superior to the live class. The test scores were much higher than the live class presentation. And the people were less tired after the 1 hour than the class was after only 1 hour. WHY??? Our brains actually think/process words at the rate of about 1000-1200 words per minute. So when you or I are in front of the classroom, the students have to find something to do with that extra 900 words of unused brain power. Geez, no wonder I have seen students reading the paper in the back of the classroom, playing games on their cell phones, or whatever.

Don, regarding 5 vs 15 hours.

First I do prefer live classes over computer courses.

The typical instructor is going to speak at a rate of 120 words per minute. A slightly above average reader will read at the rate of 300 WPM. A speed reader might do 1000 WPM. However, when you are in technical material your speed will normally drop to about 25-50% of your normal rate. My point is that the same amount of material can definitely be covered faster on the computer.

Back about 15 years ago, a research group took an 8 hour course taught by a live human and recorded the instructor. They speeded up the playback of the course and lowered the frequency of the instructor's voice (to avoid that chipmunk sound) and played the course back in exactly 1 hour. The people's retention of the material was actually superior to the live class. The test scores were much higher than the live class presentation. And the people were less tired after the 1 hour than the class was after only 1 hour. WHY??? Our brains actually think/process words at the rate of about 1000-1200 words per minute. So when you or I are in front of the classroom, the students have to find something to do with that extra 900 words of unused brain power. Geez, no wonder I have seen students reading the paper in the back of the classroom, playing games on their cell phones, or whatever.

Then the AQB, the states, or whomever should allow a live instructor to do a Readers Digest version of the class in the same average time it takes a student online. My old knees would appreciate not having to stand for 15 hours if it can be done in 5.

There is also the added advantage, not possible in an online course, of learning from interaction with ones peers, and the connections one makes with others.

Under your theory we should eliminate all conferences, conventions, and other live events put on by the AI and others and just do it all by webinar. We could post all the sponsors crap in a link to that sponsor so one could visit their virtual booth if they chose to do so,

Sorry, I don't buy it. We are human beings. We benefit from interaction with other humenas. Maybe some have, but I doubt the majority of humans will ever becomes friends with, fall in love with, go fishing or hunting with a computer. A computer is a tool. It is not a social event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back