• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Since when are bedroom photos required by fannie mae?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bedroom photos are a client requirement

I typically take and put in bedroom photos even if not required. One photo per room. I dislike doing bedroom photos though, for several reasons, it feels like an invasion of privacy for one, I hate when they leave underwear and clothes all over the floor combined with an unmade bed ick. The one and only time I ever had a weapon pointed at me was in a bedroom on an inspection (middle class area if anyone wonders.) Now I never, ever walk in first to a bedroom and I ask the homeowner or agent walk in first. Always knock goes without saying

And what is up with people sleeping in them at one in the afternoon? Teenagers are the worst. The one and only time in years an appraiser is there and they can't get out of bed for 5 minutes? I 've learned to shoot around or blur out all the sleeping people over the years.

Who is training appraisers that bedroom pictures are optional? I've never understood the mindset. One takes the time to make an appointment with a homeowner/agent. Drive all the way out there. Make all your observations...then want to just take a few pictures, which are literally free to take and insert into a report?

Not piling on OP here, but it does seem there is a crop of folks coming in who seem to want to do as little as possible. Good thing there will be PDR assignments for them.

I feel every assignment I get now must additionally support my argument that a full 1004 is still superior to a desktop, hybrid, and certainly a waiver. I make it a point to discuss things those products likely would not highlight.

bedroom photos are a client requirement

I typically take and put in bedroom photos even if not required. One photo per room. I dislike doing bedroom photos though, for several reasons, it feels like an invasion of privacy for one, I hate when they leave underwear and clothes all over the floor combined with an unmade bed ick. The one and only time I ever had a weapon pointed at me was in a bedroom on an inspection (middle class area if anyone wonders.) Now I never, ever walk in first to a bedroom and I ask the homeowner or agent walk in first. Always knock goes without saying

And what is up with people sleeping in them at one in the afternoon? Teenagers are the worst. The one and only time in years an appraiser is there and they can't get out of bed for 5 minutes? I 've learned to shoot around or blur out all the sleeping people over the years.
Common courtesy/sense dictates asking the person who let you into the house if there are anyone in a room when the door is closed.

Someone in bed....
I just tell them to pull the covers over their head....

When I got into this racket our fee shop had a strict rule which applied for interior assignments for “most” clients. We used 35 mm film and it was take 3 photos, front, rear and street….don’t take more than 3 photos unless there is deferred maintenance or something external that needed addressing….film was not cheap and it added up. Most of our clients were real banks and not seedy mortgage brokers and AMC riff raff. When digital photography came along we used Sony Mavicas and until our clients began requiring multiple photos because they were now virtually free other than ink with color cost, we still only took 3 photos. I recently had an exterior REO assignment of a property I did 24 years ago, my original assignment was an interior 2055 and I had no interior photos in my report and then I remembered why the interior photos were “missing”. I now take a minimum of 40 photos for an interior assignment.

Completely disagree. That's the same as saying 'any appraiser who only takes one picture of the bedroom is committing fraud'. Simply not true. On the contrary, I believe the 'one bedroom photo' folks are just being expedient (or lazy, although that's not the case personally). Unless there is reason to take additional photos of a bedroom, what purpose does it serve to take multiple bedroom pics?
Wow.......LOL
I let out the hornets.

Maybe you mis-read my post..(or as usual I did not type clear enough)...I was not speaking of taking 2-3 pics of every room. I admit, that is a little over kill. I would only take additional pics if my first pics did not show the entire kitchen or bathroom, etc. Or to show additional damage or issues.

I was speaking of how we got here in the first place.... alluding to the op thread.

Question:

Why did the GSEs require additional photographs after the great market crash out 2008?

Support their buybacks...

Dishonest appraisers.....saying the home was in very good condition, when it was an average home to inflate the value for the mortgage broker. Do you think they included a bunch of pics? Na.

That was what I was speaking about. If it was not a problem and some appraisers were not reporting the "real" condition, they would not have required additional photos? No?

I stand by my statement. SOME appraisers take less photos to hide or to mis-lead their clients. It is hard to review and to hold an appraiser accountable if the appraiser did not take pics....your word against theirs.

if you do any FHA work, all rms, it becomes a habit to do every appraisal likes it's FHA. in effect your appraisal is your work file when someone looks at it.

I have mentioned this before but it's worth repeating. During Covid-19 I switched up to review work. FNMA, V. FHA etc have minimum exterior/interior photo requirements. Emphasis on minimum. There is no arguing that fact. Lender clients can AND the Appraiser can add to that.

I did not note in any of the reviews where appraisers were not meeting minimum requirements. What I did see quite often was six()picture legal length some some with and some without labels and many times the pictures sucked because of clarity.

I don't know why we are even having this conversation.

Wow.......LOL
I let out the hornets.

Maybe you mis-read my post..(or as usual I did not type clear enough)...I was not speaking of taking 2-3 pics of every room. I admit, that is a little over kill. I would only take additional pics if my first pics did not show the entire kitchen or bathroom, etc. Or to show additional damage or issues.

I was speaking of how we got here in the first place.... alluding to the op thread.

Question:

Why did the GSEs require additional photographs after the great market crash out 2008?

Support their buybacks...

Dishonest appraisers.....saying the home was in very good condition, when it was an average home to inflate the value for the mortgage broker. Do you think they included a bunch of pics? Na.

That was what I was speaking about. If it was not a problem and some appraisers were not reporting the "real" condition, they would not have required additional photos? No?

I stand by my statement. SOME appraisers take less photos to hide or to mis-lead their clients. It is hard to review and to hold an appraiser accountable if the appraiser did not take pics....your word against theirs.

Don't worry about it. I can't think of a single time I've disagreed with anything substantive in your posts (so you must be doing alright ;) ). As far as people misreading (or "reading into") stuff we post, well, that's just the nature of the Internet. :giggle:

Common courtesy/sense dictates asking the person who let you into the house if there are anyone in a room when the door is closed.

Someone in bed....
I just tell them to pull the covers over their head....
How do you tell a sleeping person to put the covers over their head? The point is, they are SLEEPING!

Maybe it is a Florida thing, but so often someone is sleeping in one of the bedrooms and the homeowner make a big deal about it, like do you have to take a photo of that bedroom, etc. I tell them I am used to taking photos around people and go in and do it and the person almost never wakes up. Just so weird

Yes, ask if someone is inside a bedroom or knock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back