• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

You know you're getting old when

I'm getting bifocals soon.
I'm tired of taking my glasses off and sometimes forget where I put them. Just like my cell phone. Ugh.

just got a hearing aid because of my daughter getting mad a me not hearing her sometimes. got it for only 1 ear, very expensive. but i must admit, with it in i can hear everyone speaking to me. it also has wifi and i can listen to my phone or phone radio when i'm out in the back yard with the dog. though, the world is less noisy when i don't have it in, which is good to.

Fernando, if you get the laser eye surgery you won't need glasses.

when i don't understand what you talking about. i did have a muscle car in my youth.
I wish I'd kept my '69 Camaro SS conv, pace car model or my '68 Vette with the 454 6 pack and side exhaust. Oh...the good old days.

However I just got back from Hawaii where I rented a new Camaro SS convertible. I think it might have been as quick and the old Vette.

When everything hurts but the things that don't work
Yep, everything's stiff except the parts you want.

just got a hearing aid because of my daughter getting mad a me not hearing her sometimes. got it for only 1 ear, very expensive. but i must admit, with it in i can hear everyone speaking to me. it also has wifi and i can listen to my phone or phone radio when i'm out in the back yard with the dog. though, the world is less noisy when i don't have it in, which is good to.

Fernando, if you get the laser eye surgery you won't need glasses.
My optometrist said with laser eye surgery, I will never be able to see/read near. It will be hard for me to type in AF. You don't want that.

My optometrist said with laser eye surgery, I will never be able to see/read near. It will be hard for me to type in AF. You don't want that.
I live with the problem everyday. I had Lasik about 8 years ago, and perfect vision at a distance without glasses. But computer monitors and reading are a constant problem. - I have two sets of glasses. One is progressive for general use, and one is for working with the computer. I have large screens at a distance of about 25-32". I have to tilt my head up to see the top of the vertical screen. A bit inconvenient, but I am getting used to it. But, the real problem is switching between the desktop and the general set of glasses when I take off in the car. Yet, of course, I can drive just fine without my glasses - except for looking at the controls - they are are bit blurry without glasses. You develop habits overtime for dealing with the reading glasses, the hearing aid --- and I guess more gadgets as I get older. Still, I will admit, that with my large and distant screens, - and the small print that comes with them, I have difficult clearly seeing words all the time. Maybe I need another set of glasses.

Now they have these telecom hearing aids

Apparently "Loop Systems" are pretty much everywhere:

Loop Systems allow transmission for very large areas at large distances. So, if you are in a public area and have a telecoil hearing aid - you can pick up very clearly what spearkers are saying in a large crowd with ambient noise. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds interesting.

You can also drop wireless microphones in different areas. Most can only transmit about 30 feet. But some like Phonak Roger Select have a special technology than can transmit to about 66 feet without obstructions:

Last edited:
you are getting old when the last thread is interesting reading. my new hearing aid has no issues anywhere. they adjust the different hearing tones to make up for your lost areas. but they run in the $2,000 range. that's why i only got one, for my worst ear. every sound can be heard with just the one in. it's not good when people are speaking quietly and you don't know what they just said.
you just nod your head, smile, like you know what they said, learned that from my wife.

Most can't be that old, not talking about hearing aids yet. ... Just wait. What did you say? I still can't understand. What did she say? That's the worst - you can't hear what your wife is yelling about and she keeps throwing fits because you can't hear her from the floor below. And now we are in the realm of Telecoils and the like.
You forgot your Big Boy diapers..........here that......hahahahaaaa

You forgot your Big Boy diapers..........here that......hahahahaaaa
My first job out of high school, the first summer (1965) before entering the University of Oregon was at a "Home for the Aged" in Junction City, OR. It was run by a retired Marine, - and the head nurse I swear must have been the same, anyway that was quite an experience. Back then older men had catheter tubes running from their ***** to bottles. Now I think they carry around plastic flexible bags strapped to their thigh and wear loose pants. Maybe "diapers" are some kind of intermediate stage between Tamsulosin and the Catheter Tube. Some of the older men were fairly crazy, some stubborn as hell and some just one big mess. Oh well, the women weren't much better, just different. That was back in the day when they stuffed drugs down their throats. - Well if the doctor prescribed them. Some guy was obsessed with bragging about having sex with his daughter, who was quite cute (although middle aged) - and came in to visit him at times .... not seeming to be at all embarrassed by his rantings about "hosing" her and the likes. -- He would go crazy at times, stark naked and try climbing over the fence to escape the facility. He never succeeded as far as I know. It was kind of like a senior version of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - who by the way grew up in nearby Springfield, Oregon. The world doesn't change that much, at least in certain respects. Although mens testosterone levels are dropping across all age brackets about about 1%/year according to some study. And Disney's "Masters of the Air" seems to not be the same kind of war movie we would have seen in the 40's- 70's (I couldn't stand it actually).

Ken Kesey was 12 years older than me, but I swear to God, I knew a Ken Kesey Jr, (different name though) - a wrestler who was a gifted writer in high school - Don't know how he turned out though.

Last edited:
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back