• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

You know you're getting old when

When I see a house that has a bathroom with just a tub, that's no good. Most people take showers now. Have a shower over tub and you'll have a happy potential buyer.
If you look closely at my photo, that's what ours is going to be. I have a spout for the rain shower head, another spout for the handheld shower head that'll be on a slider bar, and of course the tub spout.

Now that's cool..... you actually repurposed something that wasn't meant to be a vanity and made it a vanity. Ours however is 74 in Long and it's only 16 in deep. Very odd configuration so I'm going to have to do a custom build.

I have a heated floor going in as well. Did you do the Schluter Ditra?
Didn't use it. Did mine the old fashioned way. I used the single strand heat cable covered with a layer of thinset. After it dried I set the tile with thinset. Haven't had a problems with cracking. Just a little something learned from an installer is to install a second backup temperature sensor in the floor in case the original one fails. Doesn't cost much and can save a lot of headaches if the first one fails

I ---- don't think so. Most Jacuzzi's get filled with junk. Water is in most places too expensive. You do get charged for it - for each gallon used. A typical Jacuzzi holds 300-450 gallons of water. Showers are far more efficient. Also, a sauna is nowadays cheaper - especially if you have solar.
I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to Jacuzzis. I installed an acrylic soaking bathtub so the house has a one instead of 2 showers. Families have kids, kids like baths.

Didn't use it. Did mine the old fashioned way. I used the single strand heat cable covered with a layer of thinset. After it dried I set the tile with thinset. Haven't had a problems with cracking. Just a little something learned from an installer is to install a second backup temperature sensor in the floor in case the original one fails. Doesn't cost much and can save a lot of headaches if the first one fails
What you have sounds like what I'm putting in. It's made by Schluter and the cable runs through its proprietary mat and powered by a thermostat. It has two temperature sensors at two different spots of the floor.

1722564739963.png

I told my wife just to put on Sherpa slippers. I mean, we're in friggin California. But she wasn't having it.... I had to put in an extra breaker so this thing has its own circuit.

"DAD, you're so annoying "....
Well, she just gave up and there is nothing you can do because she gets to pick your resthome... :) cheers

He said 65 and been working for 45 years.
And if he quit doing that every day, he'd not be able to do it again.

There are a lot of things at 74 that I find far more difficult than they were at 64. Getting into my tractor is hard. Getting out is even more difficult.

Made this one from an old cherry dresser the wife found at a thrift store. The doors were made from the top. The top panel tilts out and has trays for small items. The bottom drawer was the original top drawer. It sits on ball bearing slides. 5 coats of marine polyurethane. Bathroom has heated floor

View attachment 89712
I did similar. The gap between the countertop and wall is great for hiding excess bathroom appliance cords. Heated tile floors are the bomb!

I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to Jacuzzis. I installed an acrylic soaking bathtub so the house has a one instead of 2 showers. Families have kids, kids like baths.

Kids implies young parents most of whom barely any time to deal with their kids. COMMON PROBLEM. Filling bathtubs with water is time consuming (you have to watch it). People who work do not have time. People who work and have kids have even less time. It is a time problem.

Once the kids get beyond a certain age, they are busy all the time, makes matters worse. Once the kids get beyond 6,7 or 8, they don't have time for the bathtub - they have schoolwork and all kinds of extracurricular activities. Heck they probably do swimming a couple of times a week.

So, that's it. At least in the Silicon Valley. Most people don't have time for bathtubs at some certain point in their evolution. Once they stop using bathtubs, they rarely go back.

The shower is so nice - just go in right away (if you have the advanced tankless systems with flowback, or wait a short period for the water to warm up). 5 minutes and you are out. No tub to fill and drain. Clean water rather than dirty water. Yea.

What you have sounds like what I'm putting in. It's made by Schluter and the cable runs through its proprietary mat and powered by a thermostat. It has two temperature sensors at two different spots of the floor.

View attachment 89726
Mine was without the mat. Don't think the Schluter was available when I put mine in. The closest thing was a mesh mat with the cable installed. Didn't provide much flexibility in the shape of the heating pattern.

Kids implies young parents most of whom barely any time to deal with their kids. COMMON PROBLEM. Filling bathtubs with water is time consuming (you have to watch it). People who work do not have time. People who work and have kids have even less time. It is a time problem.
Why have kids if you don't want to deal with them? Kids taking baths with Mr Bubble is epic.
Once the kids get beyond 6,7 or 8, they don't have time for the babathtub.
Then it's the wife's turn. She gets in there with that bamboo tray that goes across the tub for her glass of wine, the Bluetooth speaker on the vanity and you leave her alone.... the more the wife decompresses the better for me....

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back